Animation system / skulks move too fast?

PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
edited July 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
Hey,

Is it just me, or is it somewhat difficult to see skulks running around at times?

Its like they move too fast for me to keep track of them.

I'm awful at trying to kill them with a shotgun (rifle is better for me) because of it.

I'm not sure if their speed is just too quick for me to follow, or the animation they do when moving isn't fluid enough for me to notice them better?

It's also possible I need new eyes.

Comments

• azimaithazimaith Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107686Members
    You know I don't think they're moving too fast but I think its the jerkiness of animation or lag because I have problems keeping track of where the marines i'm trying to masticate to death as a skulk. There are a lot of situations where i've see skulks (and sometimes marines) teleporting short distances ot suddenly zapping side to side which gives me the impression its lag causing the issue. Same with how I often seem to be right next to marines biting them but get no hit indicators. At the moment its pretty much a crapshoot to see if I hit.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Yea its probably both yours eyes and animation jerkiness, I personally prefer more speed on the alien side.

Animations are very bad on skulk because it is often hard to tell where they are facing sometimes they bite ass faced you, and on surfaces such as rock walls they go haywire. Spamming jump exploits this very well making jumping actually somewhat useful, I do not want movement system that uses silly things like this.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Yeah, to me the animations feel detached from the movements. It's hard to tell what way people are going to move/moving because of this.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    This will improve as server and client performance improves.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    And they said that the new animation graph is nearly finished (not for 180 i guess). Right now the animation transitions are missing. Jumping and biting trigger new animations, which probably resets the leg movement, which makes it look laggier that it actually is
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    not to mention the fade :) it looks like a static model floating around.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1858292:date=Jul 6 2011, 01:46 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Jul 6 2011, 01:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858292"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->not to mention the fade :) it looks like a static model floating around.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^ this.
    althought NS1 was the same way, really... i've thought of how to change it and can't think of anything yet. i think its his method of locomotion thats odd. short stumpy legs, huge friggin awkward arms, idk.
  • ktimekillerktimekiller Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13958Members
    I personally dont mind a static model floating as long as its smooth akin to how aliens looked in combat in NS1

But right now, it looks very jittery
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    well dont worry, as asraniel said:

<!--quoteo(post=1858274:date=Jul 5 2011, 10:37 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Jul 5 2011, 10:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And they said that the new animation graph is nearly finished (not for 180 i guess). Right now the animation transitions are missing. Jumping and biting trigger new animations, which probably resets the leg movement, which makes it look laggier that it actually is<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->