Question about commander view

JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
<div class="IPBDescription">geared toward mapping</div>So, Im making an ns2 map! But I had a question about commander view, and how it might be affected by my intended layout. Part of the map I wanted to lead into a dig site, but for the sake of atmosphere, I was thinking about making the terrain on a significantly lower level(which would gradually go down starting from Marine Start). So my question is, will commander mode automatically accommodate for something like that, or is it a bad idea? I doubt that it will be an extraordinary drop, but it should noticably go down until the hive, which will be the lowest point on the map. Is there any reason I should rethink this idea before I put in the effort?

Ill post screenshots when I have something to show, marine start is all I have worked on so far, which is almost done, but not lit, and needs a bit more work. I intend to name the map ns2_lockdown(which might be too close to rockdown, but well see)

Comments

• SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    edited July 2011
    You can set the commander Camera views for each area and it will transition to the specified height as you pan to that area you set for each commander camera.

In short, use a commander camera entity in each area of drop to make the transition. The engine already smooths the transition for you.

There was also talk about setting click through transparencies for overhead structures some time ago but i don't know if anything ever came of it.