Mouse acceleration

JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
<div class="IPBDescription">Add it.</div>Im sure im not the only one who wants this... I cant imagine that it would be difficult to add into an upcoming release. for a while I just assumed lag was the issue with my aim, but through countless games i can tell that mouse acceleration is whats screwing me up. I know most players probably dont use it, but for those of us who do, for a better experience please add it in ASAP.

Comments

• IcemanUnlimitedIcemanUnlimited Join Date: 2011-06-26 Member: 106516Members
    Mouse acceleration?
  • JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    It makes it so when you move your mouse faster across the mousepad it moves in relation to the speed you move the mouse, not just the position.
  • HakujinHakujin Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16157Members, Constellation
    WAHHHHHAT? People really want this???
  • IcemanUnlimitedIcemanUnlimited Join Date: 2011-06-26 Member: 106516Members
    Just Jonacrab so far. I don't believe I've ever used Mouse Acceleration
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1856610:date=Jun 26 2011, 10:32 PM:name=IcemanUnlimited)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IcemanUnlimited @ Jun 26 2011, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856610"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just Jonacrab so far. I don't believe I've ever used Mouse Acceleration<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's built into windows and almost every single game unless you disable it as a target parameter :)
  • JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Im betting more people use it than actually realize it. I didnt know what it was for a long time and have always used it. But it is disabled in NS2, and no one can tell me if theres a command to enable it(as was discussed in a different thread) someone said they switched to "rawinput" which I took to mean that it wasnt in the game, but they werent too clear on that.
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    Wasn't there a thread about this just a few days ago?
    anyhow, I would like it as well.
  • EnceladusEnceladus Join Date: 2004-01-18 Member: 25442Members
    Care to explain the term "Mouse acceleration"?
    I'm not exactly sure about what's the deal with it. At the moment you can set the mouse sensitivity in the game and mouse acceleration would do..?
    basically, it moves the cursor further the faster you move your mouse.

<a href="http://www.mouseacceleration.com/Mouse_acceleration" target="_blank">Read more here</a>
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    Mouse acceleration can be good... When you've got a good solid framerate... But it is just awful when your framerate takes a hit. It gets very painful laggy.
  • JowJow Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106032Members
    If it could be implemented in a way similar to Quake Live's version it would be great.

Their version is not frame-rate dependant, and allows you to optionally specify your mouse DPI and set sens and accel in degrees/cm.
  • endlesschangeendlesschange Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105800Members
    Mouse acceleration!!!! are u kidding. Why would u play with that? That makes aiming harder.
    <!--quoteo(post=1856687:date=Jun 27 2011, 02:39 PM:name=endlesschange)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endlesschange @ Jun 27 2011, 02:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mouse acceleration!!!! are u kidding. Why would u play with that? That makes aiming harder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    or easier? hmm, maybe it's individual? =0
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    edited June 2011
    +1 ADD THIS ASAP

I always thought it was just me who wanted this.
    Ever since I got NS2 I thought that it was just me and my mouse, I could never understand why I found it so much easier to play my other games (Quake, TF2, etc).
    Without acceleration it makes the game much more difficult to play, especially if you're used to playing the vast amount of other FPS that do utilise it.

If it was added it would encourage me to main NS a lot more in comparison to other games.
    I really hope they add it in the next few patches, as it makes playing almost unbearable at times.

Edit: Raw mouse input option would also be nice!
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1856544:date=Jun 26 2011, 09:29 PM:name=IcemanUnlimited)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IcemanUnlimited @ Jun 26 2011, 09:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856544"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mouse acceleration?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When you play a game for the first time and the mouse is really floaty and you can't hit anything you aim at and you swear and trawl through the options until you find this option and turn it off.

That's mouse acceleration.
  • J.D.J.D. Join Date: 2011-06-16 Member: 104695Members
    @Jonacrab

Even with NS2 performing at its maximum and all my settings are where I like them, I still feel some slug in the aim. I also notice a big difference in NS2 when I have Mouse Accel Enabled or Disabled via the windows control panel. I dont know your setup but a couple things that have helped me are mouse polling and the Maximum Pre Rendered Frames setting in the Nvidia Control Panel. My mouse is polling at 1000Mhz and my pre rendered frames are set to 0. For mouse polling, youll want to google it per your OS as it differs from XP to Vista to 7.
  • SgtThompsonSgtThompson Join Date: 2005-01-18 Member: 36340Members
    If they add it, it better be completely optional. I go out of my way to edit config files just to get rid of it.

So far, the only devs who have really done mouse control right is Valve. You can control the mouse sensitivity via a number (much more accurate and customizable than a slider), you can enable/disable acceleration and even adjust the amount, and they recently added RAW mouse imput (which is glorious for reducing lag).

If anything, the NS crew should take note of those features and either copy or improve upon them.
  • SgtThompsonSgtThompson Join Date: 2005-01-18 Member: 36340Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1856743:date=Jun 27 2011, 11:56 AM:name=J.D.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (J.D. @ Jun 27 2011, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856743"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Jonacrab

Even with NS2 performing at its maximum and all my settings are where I like them, I still feel some slug in the aim. I also notice a big difference in NS2 when I have Mouse Accel Enabled or Disabled via the windows control panel. I dont know your setup but a couple things that have helped me are mouse polling and the Maximum Pre Rendered Frames setting in the Nvidia Control Panel. My mouse is polling at 1000Mhz and my pre rendered frames are set to 0. For mouse polling, youll want to google it per your OS as it differs from XP to Vista to 7.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have you disabled V-Sync? I know it helps with tearing, but it lags the mouse a TON.