Deselection

RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Infestation and Marine Support</div>Why when I am placing infestation do I have to repeatedly select the 'infest' button, or press the short-cut before being able to place it again?

Same goes for Med/Ammo packs...

Also, why do you have to select each hive to use its energy, can't they just combine into one pool we can access?

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Agree for having to reselect the buttons for medpacks and infestation. The thing with pooling all hive energy is that it can be helpful to have separate energy for each hive to make you think more about balancing the use, not spending it all in one hive. Also when there are multiple commanders a common pool could be frustrating, they would have problems coordinating, whereas with separate pools you can say "I'll use these hives you use those ones". What is needed is a button to cycle through the hives.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No one ever does that on servers... in regards to pooling.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    The whole 'hive energy for infestation' thing ought to become irrelevant as cysts (formerly pustules) go in, and gorges get the ability to contribute "real" infestation by adding their own cysts.
  • endlesschangeendlesschange Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105800Members
    Imo this game shouldnt even have multiple commanders. Its stupid no pro team would ever run that. So that the game is fooling the new players into thinking that its a good thing when in reality its not. Having multiple commanders adds nothing and doesnt help your team at all. But it removes one unit on the battlefield.

Theres nothing in this game that one rts player can not do by himself at great apm.

Having another may seem like a good thing but its more of a bad thing because it removes one unit on the ground fighting.

Im not sure what UWE is going for with this multiple commanders stuff.

The games pretty much trolling you.

rts point sais hey you noob you want to be pro in ns2 jump in. we need another rts player.

noob sais ok! wow so cool im pro.

rts point fooled you now your even worse hahaha
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    I'm not particularly good at RTS games. I enjoy them, but I don't multitask well and end up either with my frontline units neglected while I work on my economy, or vice versa.

For those of us who aren't pros in the RTS genre, being able to split those duties is handy. One commander can support an assault and focus on the frontline necessities of dropping packs, maneuvering ARCs, and running sensor scans and whatever else is needed, while the other is managing the research, defenses, and economy. If you've got a pincer or two-front attack going on, one commander could support each side. The multiple commander option also allows for something like a gorge or marine who's at a tech point satellite base to jump into the local hive/command chair for a moment, drop some local infrastructure, then jump out and construct it, essentially allowing the main commander to maintain his focus on the frontline or overall plan while knowing that the minutia of that smaller base (exact placement of structures, having at least one body somewhere nearby in case of stray skulk/marine visitors) will be taken care of.

If you're a Sierra-Hotel commander, this kind of thing might not be necessary. If you're nothing to write home about (like me) and it's a bigger game where nobody wants to go commander on their own, a second commander or the option for temporary subcommanders is something that'll probably benefit the team at large. I don't think we'll be seeing a lot of this on servers with less than 20 players on them, but that alone isn't a good reason to remove the feature.
  • SrCumferenceSrCumference Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3740Members
    edited June 2011
    Scratch my previous post. Multi-comm whining is irrelevant to this topic: As an gorge, I practically need it. As a marine, probably not.

As for infestation, you could try shift+clicking, but I don't know if that is supported yet. Really, if you are keeping up on your timing there should rarely be a time when you need to place more than two or three patches. This probably will become irrelevant as the infestation implementation changes anyway though.