Mouse acceleration?

JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
<div class="IPBDescription">Is it on? or is there a command to do so if not?</div>So, ive been trying to figure out why i cant shoot worth garbage in NS2... on top of horrible lag(which i cant solve, just have to grin and bear it, my system is not up to snuff) i could never figure out why my mouse felt so different from other FPS... and at this point it seems like it would be mouse acceleration. So my question is, is it actually on(im assuming it is not) i think i do better with it on, and since theres no option to turn it on or off in game, is there a command to do so?

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The performance usually gets better with each build so bear with it.

As I don't know what mouse acceleration is, I've no answer for your question :P
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1854941:date=Jun 21 2011, 01:13 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jun 21 2011, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854941"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The performance usually gets better with each build so bear with it.

As I don't know what mouse acceleration is, I've no answer for your question :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Amazing you have managed to dodge it, regardless it is how fast your mouse accerelates for example slow motion on mousepad less speed from mouse acc, higher faster movement. Any sane person would normally turn it off when playing fps games because it effects your aim usually in negatively (panics / reflex etc).

I dunno answer to OP but I'm sure someone someone can test it quickly by rolling mouse 1 length of mousepad fast and slow. Remember to set windows setting off aswell.
  • JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    well, actually im pretty sure its off, and I want it on :P i know thats weird but i play better with it on it seems... or at the very least something just feels completely wrong about how my mouse moves in game, and im making the assumption that mouse accel is the issue. so... im lookin for a command to turn it on :P
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Perhaps it's not included yet since, as said, most people turn it off. It'll probably be added eventually...
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Max switched to using RawInput for mouse movement a while ago.
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    I also prefer to use a minor, but noticeable mouse-acceleration. that way I can have good precision and be able to do a 180 turn in an instant.
    for ppl having problems make sure the driver settings for you mouse is in order. I force mouse acceleration using the logitech drivers, so maybe yours have jumped in to some other "game-mode" that have it enabled.
    Or you have it on by default in windows and ns2 copied those settings.

lots of ppl play with mouse-acc on without knowing it, seeing as it is sometimes default in windows =)
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1854951:date=Jun 21 2011, 12:20 PM:name=fsfod)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fsfod @ Jun 21 2011, 12:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854951"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Max switched to using RawInput for mouse movement a while ago.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's sweet btw. At least id Tech 3 with RawInput is pure nirvana when it comes to mouse control. At least for me it's the very definition of how mouse should work on FPS games.
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    How is RawInput more precise than DirectInput?
  • JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    So.... what does rawinput mean... i cant use mouse accel? I just have a basic MS mouse, and mouse accel is set for the desktop, and works for other games I play, but theres no way to force mouse accel for programs or anything... how would i go about enabling it, if thats possible? im confused :o
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    How about you use full sentences? RawInput is a method to get input directly from HID layer, bypassing drivers/Windows settings like acceleration.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    No one help this jonas guy, he is a griefer. exploited the invincible skulk bug for a few rounds despite the players begging him to just leave the server. He was just a ###### and doesn't deserve any response from this community.
  • meb2meb2 Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72824Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1855049:date=Jun 21 2011, 01:21 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jun 21 2011, 01:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No one help this jonas guy, he is a griefer. exploited the invincible skulk bug for a few rounds despite the players begging him to just leave the server. He was just a ###### and doesn't deserve any response from this community.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you sound p mad. maybe you should play a game that's actually finished instead of crying about an alpha game's bugs
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1855051:date=Jun 21 2011, 11:26 AM:name=meb2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (meb2 @ Jun 21 2011, 11:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855051"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you sound p mad. maybe you should play a game that's actually finished instead of crying about an alpha game's bugs<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uh, no?
    Just trying to keep the trash out.
    You sound unhelpful and troll-ish, maybe you shouldn't reply in these forums?
    Hope that logic helps.
  • revbassrevbass Join Date: 2011-06-09 Member: 103386Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1855051:date=Jun 21 2011, 07:26 PM:name=meb2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (meb2 @ Jun 21 2011, 07:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855051"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you sound p mad. maybe you should play a game that's actually finished instead of crying about an alpha game's bugs<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bug exploiting is lame.

So are you.
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Any professional fps player (or rts player for that matter) will tell you that mouse acceleration needs to be off. That way you'll now that if you move the mouse a certain amount you'll turn (or move the cursor) a certain amount in-game. With acceleration turned on the amount you turn or move the cursor will depend not only on how far you move the mouse but also how fast you move it, making it completely random.

I haven't really been able to test it properly in NS2 due do lag and low fps but I sure hope it's set to off by default.
  • meb2meb2 Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72824Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1855067:date=Jun 21 2011, 01:44 PM:name=revbass)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (revbass @ Jun 21 2011, 01:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bug exploiting is lame.

So are you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    hello my name is revbads i play an alpha because it is a finished game that i will never get trolled in
    LOL! wow. Just wow. Yes I did that ONE TIME, when it was still common in the game, for maybe 3 minutes before i switched and joined a team and started playing, and then like 10 minutes into the game i started getting comments complaining that I was griefing, even tho those accusing couldnt pay attention to the fact that I was already playing and had points. And it wasnt an invincible skulk bug, it was the stuck in the map but still in the ready room bug.

And as far as the mouse accel goes.... i cant tell you why it works better for me. but without it i either massively overswing my gun at something far away, or underswing at something close. I guess I just am comfortable with how much and how fast i have to move it to get the job done...
    No excuse like "common" justifies exploiting. that's like saying its okay you hack cuz its fun. It doesn't work.
    And really.... 3 minutes?? happened multiple rounds.

Whatever, as long as you knock off that behavior, that's all I care about, this includes future exploiting.
    having a good player base is important.
    Yes it was going on multiple rounds, BUT NOT BY ME. I did it one time, shortly. There were a couple of people doing it, but I only did it once for a few mins, while the others continued doing it. Then 10 minutes later while im in game someone complains that im griefing, but obviously they did not look at the scoreboard to see that I was on a team playing.
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    LTP

Yeah. That about sums it up.

Can I get a "hell yeah!"?
  • MinstrelJCFMinstrelJCF Join Date: 2009-05-10 Member: 67379Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1855079:date=Jun 21 2011, 07:23 PM:name=Agiel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Agiel @ Jun 21 2011, 07:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any professional fps player (or rts player for that matter) will tell you that mouse acceleration needs to be off. That way you'll now that if you move the mouse a certain amount you'll turn (or move the cursor) a certain amount in-game. With acceleration turned on the amount you turn or move the cursor will depend not only on how far you move the mouse but also how fast you move it, making it completely random.

I haven't really been able to test it properly in NS2 due do lag and low fps but I sure hope it's set to off by default.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not really, lots of pro Quake players use accel. It has advantages and disadvantages relative to no accel.
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1855282:date=Jun 22 2011, 07:35 AM:name=MinstrelJCF)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MinstrelJCF @ Jun 22 2011, 07:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not really, lots of pro Quake players use accel. It has advantages and disadvantages relative to no accel.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this.

I know of several "pro" players that use it and it is just down to preference.
    it's another factor you have to think about but if you are used to it, it goes automatic.

I can't really see any disadvantage, besides getting used to it if you are already used to play with it off, but the advantage would be being able to turn faster, with less hand movement. You can even do a full turn in a single move (not sure why you would tho) and still have a
    low mouse sensitivity that lets you snipe down corridors with accuracy.

in the end the difference is minimal, and makes no real impact on how well you play vs someone who use a different setting.
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2011
    Well, ok, I'm not a heavy Quake player. I guess mouse acceleration could make sense since you need to be able to spin around a lot with all the movement going on (my brain doesn't seem to be wired for it though). I was mainly talking about games like Counter-Strike and Starcraft.