Marine IP rally points.

BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Queuing orders for respawning marines</div>One thing I found myself saying a lot while commanding in smaller NS1 games was "Respawners do X and then go to Y". You'll do that a lot when your squad dies and you need to find a new purpose for your freshly respawning guys.

So, could the commander set IP to distribute certain orders for the next few respawning marines? For example commander selects IP and 'orders' it to move to certain location. Marines respawning from that IP within the next 10-15 seconds will receive the order right at respawn.

Maybe the marines respawning with the same waypoint could also form a squad. Suddenly you've got a very smooth way for organizing quick squads and pushes out of marines that are just respawning and have no strategical value yet.

Comments

• Trainee.gerTrainee.ger Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100097Members
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    +1

Also, I'd like to orders to be permanent until I change then rather than temporary. It could be as simple as selecting the IP and then right-clicking the move order destination (i.e. like giving spawning units in a traditional RTS a waypoint from the structure).
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1854528:date=Jun 19 2011, 07:08 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jun 19 2011, 07:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854528"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, I'd like to orders to be permanent until I change then rather than temporary.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think one of the biggest issues of NS1 waypoints was that they were often just dead noise in one way or the other. Either the commander had used the waypoint to spot a node or hive, the waypoint was just generally spammed in there as some kind of general guidance or the waypoint was simply outdated from some completely different situation in some previous marine lifetime.

The reason I favour very temporary rally points is that I'd like to minimize the amount of unintentional or unnecessary waypoints. When a marine receives waypoint, he should be absolutely sure that it's the thing commander expects from him at that very moment. Otherwise the orders are bound to get ignored and misinterpreted either intentionally or unintentionally.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It could be as simple as selecting the IP and then right-clicking the move order destination (i.e. like giving spawning units in a traditional RTS a waypoint from the structure).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I think this is a good way to do it. Depending a bit on how the waypointing system works it might be even quite easy to implement it that way.