Please, no motion tracking.

13»

Comments

• IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1854562:date=Jun 19 2011, 09:43 PM:name=thecowsaysmoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thecowsaysmoo @ Jun 19 2011, 09:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->however I think If there was a cheap upgrade at the obs, which allowed players to see motion tracking in certain radius (about the size of a tech point room) That would be reasonable. So the Commander could spend 10-15 resources on a scan in a room. and during the duration of the scan marines could "motion track" units in said room<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Basically this, either a pres cost scan for the marine comm, or an upgrade to the existing scan (or perhaps a different scan that costs more energy) I don't like the idea of an 'always on' motion tracking, sounds too much like AvP tbh.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->scan in a room. and during the duration of the scan marines could "motion track" units in said room<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this. but it should cost energy only. as a trade off i would suggest to remove any passive abilities from the obs. the alien comm also has to click his chambers to get the most meaningful effects. and I hated the fact: placing an obs = win against cloaking (at least in a specific area around the obs) + showing all aliens through walls (motion tracking showed at least only when the aliens moved). also, aliens can react int time when they see a scan going of, instead of getting surprised by that "wall-hack" :)

you can already see aliens on the minimap when the comm scans a room, so marking them in your view directly isn't much more (i don't consider pressing the toggle map button as a matter of skill)

edit: i have this picture in my head of a dark room, suddenly you turn on the light and all cockroaches in there flee or start to run around nervous
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1854168:date=Jun 18 2011, 06:10 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Jun 18 2011, 06:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854168"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've found something interesting, playing NS2 recently. I've found that as a skulk I am doing a lot of cool abushing and other sneaky stuff. Sneaky stuff that wouldn't be possible with motion tracking. The thrill of seeing a squad of marines pass underneath you as you hide between some pipes on the ceiling... it's pretty awesome.

I think that motion tracking, in the NS1 implementation, is a horrid awful thing that I hope never to see in NS2. It totally removes the function of stealth from the game.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this has probably already been mentioned in this thread but i dont have time to read through the 4 pages...

I think motion tracking should be exactly that. MOTION tracking. if you are stationary (or even crawling) it should not detect you.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1868136:date=Aug 10 2011, 01:07 PM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ Aug 10 2011, 01:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868136"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this has probably already been mentioned in this thread but i dont have time to read through the 4 pages...

I think motion tracking should be exactly that. MOTION tracking. if you are stationary (or even crawling) it should not detect you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree. If your not sprinting/running, you shouldn't be tracked. If your flying around as a Lerk/Blinking (annoyingly) around the map as a Fade/ Leaping around/sprinting as a Skulk/ Sluggishly wobbling/belly sliding around the map and motion tracking is enabled, you should be detected. However, there should be rules set and in my opinion those are:
    <ul><li>As long as you are within reasonable range of the observatory, motion tracking should pick up the Aliens motions. </li><li>I do NOT think the Marines should get motion tracking for the entire map. </li><li>motion tracking upgrade should be a single upgrade, PER observatory. </li><li>One single observatory upgrade should not allow all the observatory locations to have the upgrades [like the current armory does]</li></ul>

This will create a more reasonable effort on producing multiple observatory locations for better map coverage of motion tracking .
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I have always had the concerns about motion tracking being implemented again.
    I found it the most frustrating thing in NS1 ....once researched a skulk was close to worthless.

My hope was IF it was implemented

It would be an AREA spell with an incredibly long cooldown period.
    So when marines are securing an area ....

the commander can cast the spell, but he cannot SPAM it.
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1868083:date=Aug 10 2011, 01:36 PM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Aug 10 2011, 01:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you can already see aliens on the minimap when the comm scans a room, so marking them in your view directly isn't much more (i don't consider pressing the toggle map button as a matter of skill)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True, but you don't have vertical information, only on the horizontal. I've had an issue with marines standing either directly on top of or below aliens and saying "they're not here!"
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1868326:date=Aug 11 2011, 05:34 AM:name=Iacto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Iacto @ Aug 11 2011, 05:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868326"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->True, but you don't have vertical information, only on the horizontal. I've had an issue with marines standing either directly on top of or below aliens and saying "they're not here!"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

but usually thats enough information (the approximate direction to look at), except of a few cases you mentioned :D but this only happens to people who don't know the map well and don't know all the skulks' hideouts