combat=jittery, unresponsive, chaotic and not "streamlined"?

hotd0ghotd0g Join Date: 2004-03-19 Member: 27419Members
The main thing that's bothering me about the game right now is how bad the combat is. It has improved (no more warping, laggy movements etc), but it's still really bad imo.
Right now it's really hard to just kill someone else in general. When the combat starts, they're all over your screen, and all you can really do is shoot/bite/swing in random directions. Will they make the combat more fluid and streamlined or is this how it will stay?

Comments

• OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    Let me ask, whats your framerate during combat?
  • hotd0ghotd0g Join Date: 2004-03-19 Member: 27419Members
    I would have to guess but it would be around 40-50 i think. I have no fps lag whatsoever, completely smooth.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    Had to make sure.

One more then I'll get to my real response :)...did you play NS1, and did you find it just as bad?
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's easy for the frame rate to drop in combat situations without you noticing at the fps-graph. There is a night and day difference between combat at a steady 60+ fps and combat at fps levels that may drop to the 20's.

My advice: Wait for the occlusion culling optimization which will hopefully be implemented soon.
  • hotd0ghotd0g Join Date: 2004-03-19 Member: 27419Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1853900:date=Jun 17 2011, 09:31 AM:name=OutlawDr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OutlawDr @ Jun 17 2011, 09:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Had to make sure.

One more then I'll get to my real response :)...did you play NS1, and did you find it just as bad?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes i've played NS1 since beta. And no, theres a difference between how the aliens and marines handle on the HL1 engine than on the Spark engine i guess. I would like it if they just completely tried to copy the HL1 engine characteristics in terms of player movement.
    NS1 has some jittery player mechanics too, but the HL1 engine really allows for a player to put in his own element of skill.
  • m3liorm3lior Join Date: 2011-06-07 Member: 103181Members
    I agree, this is something that I have noticed as well. To me, I guess it seems like when you are in combat the enemy starts to teleport around and the animation is no longer smooth. This is not a case of being unable to track rapidly moving objects. It should be noted, however, that in 1 versus 1 situations, when the servers are running well, the problem doesn't seem to be nearly as bad.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1853914:date=Jun 17 2011, 10:19 AM:name=m3lior)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (m3lior @ Jun 17 2011, 10:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853914"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree, this is something that I have noticed as well. To me, I guess it seems like when you are in combat the enemy starts to teleport around and the animation is no longer smooth. This is not a case of being unable to track rapidly moving objects. It should be noted, however, that in 1 versus 1 situations, when the servers are running well, the problem doesn't seem to be nearly as bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've always thought this was a consequence of server tick rate; the servers can't keep track of everyone in realtime, so when things like bullet-tracing and rendering opponents start clogging up the system, it starts taking longer to send positional updates to your client.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Yes, I think most people are aware of this. As the performance begins to improve and the team start to polish the combat I'm sure it will get quite a bit smoother.
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1853905:date=Jun 17 2011, 04:45 PM:name=hotd0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hotd0g @ Jun 17 2011, 04:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853905"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes i've played NS1 since beta. And no, theres a difference between how the aliens and marines handle on the HL1 engine than on the Spark engine i guess. I would like it if they just completely tried to copy the HL1 engine characteristics in terms of player movement.
    NS1 has some jittery player mechanics too, but the HL1 engine really allows for a player to put in his own element of skill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh boy, here we go again......

The NS1 vets have threads like this on the first page. Your opinions are very valid, and they seem to be working since Charlie keeps putting in NS1 features, balances, concepts, etc.
    I would like to see HL leves of handling, as far as the new levels of player speed (which I like) will allow it - UWE obviously knows this, cause its posted constantly. If you read the forums you'd obviously also know that they are aware and working on it as fast as their very limited manpower will allow, so no need for this kinda thread to popup every two days.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Yep, we're working on this.