Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 179

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited June 2011
    When will people learn that their own personal experience is just that? The statistics show that <i>on average</i> this build is more balanced and server performance has improved.

A new bug for me in this build was the alien commander view freezing but I could still see the new chat messages and hear sounds. The commander view overlay just stuck on top of everything else, couldn't even get the menu up had to exit the game.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1853651:date=Jun 16 2011, 10:07 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Jun 16 2011, 10:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853651"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->wait so you got the fade nerf you asked for + 40% reduction in shotgun cost and you stil think its unbalanced? server performance is way up too. This isnt world of warcraft where you whine untill the developers make the game easy enough for you. l2teamwork.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, last version had crappy balance, this version has a fade nerf as well as trying to solve the marines generally not being able to afford even basic guns, but wouldn't you know it, I can't actually see if it's helpful because the game flat out doesn't work, every server I join either black screens instantly or ends up with aliens not being able to build upgrades or marines not being able to build anything or is full of ghost players or it crashes half way through the game.

I'd love to say 'oh well done the balance is significantly improved' but I can't tell, as the game doesn't work. I assume of course that the balance is better as I can think of little reason why it wouldn't be, and as far as I know the statistics show an improvement in marine game wins, but it's somewhat irrelevant when you break the game entirely.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1853634:date=Jun 16 2011, 03:55 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Jun 16 2011, 03:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853634"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->when I said bile bomb should spread infestation it doesn't mean healsrpay should spray should also spread infestation. I guess I should of been more clear..

the way the gorge spreads infestation is actually pretty damn poor. With bile bomb spreading infestation through splash effect would make more sense. lets forget gorges infestation is next to useless since even if its connected to the rest of infestation it dies anyway, so why does he spread it really? as I said pretty poor system, needs to change. bile bomb splash makes more sense, giving the gorge wider roles to play assuming if connected to infestation it wouldn't just die off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I see what you're saying now. I could get behind this. It's definitely aggravating having to twitch your aim to the ground seven times because you can't find the right zone for dropping Infestation. This finicky context-sensitivity crap is crap.

<!--quoteo(post=1853634:date=Jun 16 2011, 03:55 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Jun 16 2011, 03:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853634"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if the problem isn't in spread but somewhere else, great fix that but people shouldn't say shotguns are fine. All the shotgun is missing is a scope at this point, honestly. And once performance is somewhat better people will realize how easy it is to aim in this game since much of the alien movement still feels sluggish.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah; I think it's more the fact that it does just about the same damage from any distance it hits than the damage itself. At point blank, 180 damage (18 dmg * 10 bullets) isn't unreasonable, but 140 (only 29% less) to targets that are at 11x's the distance is absurd when the damage then immediately becomes 0 for every target farther than 22. Do the bullets just disintegrate at 22.0000000001? Have the Nanites become mutinous!? I'm pretty sure that's now how physics works...

Drop the min damage per pellet to 5 and and you'll still do a minimum of 50 damage per shot (it's rare that all 10 don't hit their mark). I think increasing the spread any more would make it unreasonably accurate at closer ranges, to the point where you won't need to aim.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited June 2011
    If there's anything wrong with the shotgun it's that it fires like 6 or so pellets but has a huge spread, meaning you might get hit with a chunk of damage if one hits you, or they might all miss you, and it's entirely random at anything other than point blank range.

I spend so much time shooting at things and watching the pellets go all around the thing I'm aiming at but none of them hit it, and other times I can get like two pellets going right where the dot is and hitting stuff from across the room, it's stupid.

Cut the damage per pellet by two thirds, then add three times the number of pellets, that should normalise the damage and make it less of a sniper rifle at times or a complete scattergun at others.
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    179 is a big improvement. It’s hard to keep up with the learning curve with so many new builds. Keep up the good work. I knew the old doubters, whiners and trolls would be proven wrong. Funny problem with it on one machine. It loads up fine on one machine but on the other I get a black screen. The fix for me is to open task mgr. then “ x” it out. Main page opens up. It’s just a minor irritation. Both machines run win7 with good vcards, CPUs and lots of mem.
    The balance seems to have shifted to the marine’s side but maybe I just need to get better as an alien. The shotgun is just too good. I need to play Marine to find out. If I do as good as a marine as I did as a skulk in 178 then the marine’s side is over balanced.
  • gerryisonfyagerryisonfya Join Date: 2007-11-04 Member: 62826Members
    edited June 2011
    This patch is totally awesome!!
    Just got on a smooth running server with 24 people playing!

New problem: Maps should be bigger, even bigger then summit. You know sometimes I need my privacy :P

Keep em coming! You do a swell job com... äh devs! ;)

//Quick add: would increase the shotgun cost to 20, now its just to cheap I think.
  • shivshiv Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71341Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1853677:date=Jun 16 2011, 04:19 PM:name=1stToast)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1stToast @ Jun 16 2011, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853677"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->179 is a big improvement. It’s hard to keep up with the learning curve with so many new builds. Keep up the good work. I knew the old doubters, whiners and trolls would be proven wrong. Funny problem with it on one machine. It loads up fine on one machine but on the other I get a black screen. The fix for me is to open task mgr. then “ x” it out. Main page opens up. It’s just a minor irritation. Both machines run win7 with good vcards, CPUs and lots of mem.
    The balance seems to have shifted to the marine’s side but maybe I just need to get better as an alien. The shotgun is just too good. I need to play Marine to find out. If I do as good as a marine as I did as a skulk in 178 then the marine’s side is over balanced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm having this issue too when I first start up NS2. I usually see the main menu for a second and then black. I ctrl+alt+del and then go back to it and then it's fine. I also noticed that if I do a fresh install the first time I load the game it will load fine and then it starts happening again.

Someone else has also posted it on getsatisfaction, you might want to go add your +1.

<a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/black_screen-xl9oi" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t...ck_screen-xl9oi</a>
  • WiltdogWiltdog Join Date: 2011-05-26 Member: 100980Members
    It seems like most people are getting the black screen of death.

I just keep rejoining servers until I get lucky. Usually it only takes 2 or 3 tries. I dont mind getting the black screen, eventually the game works and its a true thing of beauty!
  • F0xF0x Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75865Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited June 2011
    Personally, it's a great update. My fps is pretty solid now and my stuttering issue is almost gone. I have still some fps drop when there is a big fight, but the general improvement is really noticeable.

Great work !

Juste one comment, since i can play decently : is it plan to rework animations ? It's a little odd.
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    Dedicated server works a lot better if you lock it down to 1 core with Set affinity in task manager. I don't know why Win 2008 scheduler likes to switch cores all the time but it just does it.
  • m3liorm3lior Join Date: 2011-06-07 Member: 103181Members
    edited June 2011
    my 2 cents:

Love the game patch. The game runs SOO much smoother, and the fixes to some of the bugs have been really nice.

The balance is still skewed, however, despite the changes. Aliens are still FAR stronger than marines. The changes to fade and shotgun resource cost are at least a step in the right direction, however.

The main problems:
    Skulks are so strong compared to marines with machine guns that it's not even funny. This doesn't even include the buffs that you can get (for a meager 4 resources, no less) which make them even stronger. It would be good to see a buff for the LMG, or something similar to the swarm/frenzy. I think armor piercing or incendiary ammo would be awesome.. I know that skulk leap is being moved back to a tier 2 research, but that still won't be enough, especially considering how hard it is to limit the aliens to a single hive.

Infestation (Croach, creep, etc) is WAY too hard to kill. 2 full tanks on the flamethrower for a single patch? It's ridiculous.

Hydras are so much easier to build and keep alive that it isn't balanced at all. It is far too easy to setup hydra farms. Yes, ARCs have been a good step in fixing this, but once again, it still is imbalanced.

Gorge heal is ridiculously strong. I think that at a minimum the self-heal portion of the ability should be reduced (maybe by 30%, so that it is still good but not overpoweringly so).

Finally, fades still seem very strong. I know that this is intentional, but a moderately skilled fade can still take out 3 marines with relative ease. All that is needed is to hop in, kill 1, retreat and heal (gorge nearby, or crag, or hive... they move so fast that it doesn't take long at all), and then go back to finish off the others. (To be fair, in the game I was in, it helped the aliens that for some reason, when the fade was warping around we all started to lag significantly, which made aiming that much harder)

Those are my observations after playing in an intense 4v4 game where the Marine team that I was on was extremely well coordinated and skilled. The alien team was very mediocre, with 2 teammates who went 1/2 of the game before getting a single kill (No, they weren't the commander either), but they somehow managed to win the game in the end.

Bile bomb is super strong, but I really like it and the way that it has been implemented. I say to keep it how it is.

EDIT: The biggest setback to the Marine side is that the shooting in the game isn't smooth. When you start firing, I'm not sure what happens, but suddenly the skulks and the fades start getting really jerky, and it's not smooth. If the firing of weapons wasn't so erratic, Marines would be much stronger.
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    edited June 2011
    Does anyone know how to host 2 instances of NS2 server on 1 IP? If I start #1 then #2 both are visible but when I click connect on any of them I connect to first one. If I manually connect using console to #2 I get dropped. Wasn't there -masterport or something? -ports given to both distances are far away: 27015 and 27025. I think I even tried 27015 and 50000 and nothing. Both instances were started from same directory with same files just 2 different batch files starting 2 different win32 processes.

It'd be nice to have that option available because there's a box that could host even 4 instances x 20 slots just fine.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I think you mean -port; and I don't remember whether it was fixed or not (server query port wasn't offset correctly).
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    These Last two Patches give me massive smiles. Great work UWE keep it up, real progress being made, balance and crying can be figured out later.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I've played several games now where the alien team has dominated the entire map but been unable to kill off the marines. The marines just spam sentry guns and turtle up in the base and it's very difficult to do anything about it.

The bile bomb doesn't seem to be very good against a wall of sentries especially when the marines start hunting the gorge as soon as he's in position.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Server lag and ghosts still exist.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1853770:date=Jun 17 2011, 01:20 AM:name=PersianImm0rtal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PersianImm0rtal @ Jun 17 2011, 01:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Server lag still exist.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

fairly certain it's existed since the creation of the internet.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Make sure you joined a 179 build server; b178 servers I think were still listed.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1853553:date=Jun 16 2011, 05:28 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Jun 16 2011, 05:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853553"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so balance is more shotguns and easier marine rounds?

havent lost a single marine game in 179.
    you can pretty much play with shotguns the entire round
    fades are almost too easy to kill (killed 6 fades and died to 1) that was 1 round....

some of you people have a warped sense of what balance is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You killed 6 fades and died to 1?

Wow, fades are easier to kill yes, but they are still powerful, not OP anymore nor UP. People just need to change their tactics and get better at the game in your case.

Serve performance is amazing as well, good job UWE.

The only problem is that I can't see gorge bilebomb that well, either it was lag or bugginess with projectiles. It was jerky and stuff, didn't know where I was firing.
  • revbassrevbass Join Date: 2011-06-09 Member: 103386Members
    Ghost player/###### up servers are a big problem. Could use a hotfix.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Speaking of "ghost players"... Yesterday, as I was playing a 1v1 game, I commented about the two other players shown as in the Ready Room (on the scoreboard), to which the he replied "I don't see anyone there.".
  • chippychippy Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14307Members
    edited June 2011
    I've played a few hours of this, and the games seemed balanced, fun, and very playable.

Gorge Bile Bomb - I had great difficulty with this. I did not know where it was hitting. I did not know how to aim it.
    It appears to arc up and then move down a bit - but this happens when I am looking straight ahead - so that the bomb appears to be operating in the same way as spit. Also, you can fire off a bomb whilst another is in the air, possibly obscuring what has happened to the first one. I also had no idea of the range of the bile bomb.
    I guess if it gave off a better indication of where it hit, that would be better.
  • garthakgarthak Join Date: 2010-12-31 Member: 76073Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1853733:date=Jun 17 2011, 03:30 AM:name=m3lior)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (m3lior @ Jun 17 2011, 03:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853733"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulks are so strong compared to marines with machine guns that it's not even funny. This doesn't even include the buffs that you can get (for a meager 4 resources, no less) which make them even stronger. It would be good to see a buff for the LMG, or something similar to the swarm/frenzy. I think armor piercing or incendiary ammo would be awesome.. I know that skulk leap is being moved back to a tier 2 research, but that still won't be enough, especially considering how hard it is to limit the aliens to a single hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

true, the machine gun isnt the most useful thing for killing a skulk, but 1 decent shot with the shotgun will kill a skulk pretty easily. and with the lower priced shotgun, and increased damage on the horizon, Im hating life already. Skulks need to have at least some kind of advantage.
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1853830:date=Jun 17 2011, 12:36 PM:name=garthak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (garthak @ Jun 17 2011, 12:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853830"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->true, the machine gun isnt the most useful thing for killing a skulk, but 1 decent shot with the shotgun will kill a skulk pretty easily. and with the lower priced shotgun, and increased damage on the horizon, Im hating life already. Skulks need to have at least some kind of advantage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Right now I kinda have the feeling that there is not much sense in sticking with the LMG because the shotgun seems to be the superior choice in almost any situation.

But also the marine performance seems very "jittery" and I have problems aiming, especially at fast moving skulks to hitting them with an LMG is almost impossible.
    Maybe its FPS related but the strange thing is that I can aim and hit as alien quiet fine, just having problems when playing marines. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • beaglebeagle Join Date: 2010-12-04 Member: 75469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, have the same problem aiming as marine; I feel like it's fps related but it feels like something more..?
  • NarcilNarcil Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41426Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But also the marine performance seems very "jittery" and I have problems aiming, especially at fast moving skulks to hitting them with an LMG is almost impossible.
    Maybe its FPS related but the strange thing is that I can aim and hit as alien quiet fine, just having problems when playing marines. Anyone else experiencing this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure if this is just some misconception that I got from playing, but I found that whenever I tried to shoot something with a SG or LMG and strafe at the same time I would basically get 0% rego. But if I just stood still for a split second I would get 80-100% rego. (its not an aiming thing, because I never had any trouble tracking fast moving targets in NS1 or any game basically)

Maybe you need to lead the targets by a margin if you are strafing/target also moving, and this margin could be dependent on the fps (Because I go from 40FPS to about 10-20FPS whenever I encounter an alien)
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Yeah, I think the performance is a big reason for skulks doing well at close range right now.
  • skat0rskat0r Join Date: 2011-04-10 Member: 92245Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1853604:date=Jun 16 2011, 06:31 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jun 16 2011, 06:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is rapidly becoming a joke.

The last build makes the game almost unplayable due to the terrible balance, this build makes the game quite literally unplayable by breaking all the servers and introducing constant game breaking bugs on the few that can actually run.

How is it that you can attempt to improve the game and somehow manage to make it even more broken? Even more, how is it that you can attempt to improve server performance and manage to instead <i>completely break the servers...</i>

I could understand producing a bug somewhere else as a result of a change, but this is almost exactly what the patch is supposed to fix, and instead it is causing the problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

works fine and better for me...
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    Regarding bugs I faced many last night.

The most annoying one was the fact that the server "froze" meaning that score tab wasnt getting updated ( list of players too ) and worst : aliens couldnt build anything : Hive stopped generating energy and the 2nd hive in construction remained frozen at 19% for the whole game. Apparently marines were fine.

Among the little annoying bugs :
    The hud sometimes doesnt clear itself properly, I played 2 rounds after being a com with a "Structure under attack" icon still showing on the right side.
    Same goes for chat, the first line wont clear itself sometimes.

Also, I died as a skulk sticked to a wall I believe and I respawned with view rotated by 90 degrees ! thankfully this was fixed right after a suicide.
  • Pr0nPr0n Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13592Members
    I have an interesting and completely anecdotal comment.

It seems like for me, all the patches where other people were saying "Wow, Performance has really improved this patch!" were terrible and completely unplayable.

But b179 is just so incredibly incredible for me, like 99% completely smooth and playable, I'm just amazed when other people are saying there are problems with it.

I mean in this build I did a PERFECT Leap+Bite combo to a marine's FACE for the kill. Absolutely 100% v1.0 Gold ready quality Leap+Bite. That game played absolutely fine at 10v10 for quite a long time. Once it hit 12v12 with a lot of Hydras/Sentries and structures all over the map, the game started to break down but at least that makes sense.

So I've been noticing this trend.

In addition, let me say that the original ALPHA release was *very* playable and stable for me. When I heard other people complaining about it, I could not understand what their gripe was - I was amazed the ALPHA even started up. But then the next patch, which many people seemed to think was a huge improvement, absolutely KILLED the game for me. This has been happening with such utter consistency; bad patch for lots of players, great patch for me, bad patch for me, great patch for lots of other players.

So UWE, rats off to you. This is by far the best patch EVER. The game is so frikkin close to release quality, whatever you are doing - keep doing it! I give credit where I think credit is due. It's due big-time here.

I now understand the "gripe cycle".