Open up Corridors

Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
edited June 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Because fighting still happens in there</div>I think corridors should be wide and open like in ns2_summit...
ns2_tram f.e. has really small corridors (Marine Expansion - Tram repair - Alien Expansion) wich makes it hard for players, especially marines to push into rooms (Lerk Spores are really effective) and in the end the fighting still happens there if its equal teams.

I am not saying bring back NS1 corridor fighting... Fighting should happen in rooms - shorten the corridors so rooms are closer together but don't make them so tight... open up the room connecting corridors like in ns2_summit (just shorter maybe?)

Comments

• QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I really like ns2_summit. It takes a while to get to know the map, but I love the corridors and all the great detail and hiding places. I like how the corridors are big enough where marines (and aliens) can make little mini-bases in them, unlike Tram. That gives both teams more options in assaulting a room.

Honestly, no server should be running Tram right now. It has so many graphics problems and bugs right now that it's just not playable.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2011
    I think tram is a decent map, there is still enough room for you to put down mini-bases. (PG, armory, robotics factory)
    I haven't played it in this build, but I hear others say that it has alot of problems compared to summit. Rockdown should be removed asap in my opinion, god I hate that map :P
    But I still think that commanders should be able to rotate ALL the buildings, instead of it being random. Its annoying with the robotics factory for an example. (You can't decide which way the ARC is gonna come out) And the building shape is very large and rectanglular, so sometimes you end up blocking your marines with it.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I like both, summit is good, tram is good, make maps with both styles of construction.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    The only problem I have with corridors are shotguns and lerk snipers.
    If there's gonna be thin corridors, at least make them sparingly.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1852348:date=Jun 13 2011, 11:46 AM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jun 13 2011, 11:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really like ns2_summit. It takes a while to get to know the map, but I love the corridors and all the great detail and hiding places. I like how the corridors are big enough where marines (and aliens) can make little mini-bases in them, unlike Tram. That gives both teams more options in assaulting a room.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sums it up for me. Summit has little areas that branch off of the primary or secondary routes but either lead nowhere or back on themselves. These hiding places are what made NS1 maps great, and I think they are what Tram and Rockdown are missing (although considering the intended pace of Rockdown I don't see it as a major problem in it's case). Every area in Tram is a highly-detailed box. All the walls and corners of any area are easily monitored. The map feels more like a playing field/chessboard rather than an environment, and the fact of "One Power Node in Every Room" doesn't help in isolating the areas either (although every map does this currently).