Chamber Upgrades Scaling With Structure Count

KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
edited June 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
I'm curious to know what everyone's opinion would be on implementing the NS1 method of handling upgrades (adapted to accommodate for the new upgrade system).

For each Chamber of the same type, the effects of chamber-specific player upgrades (Frenzy, Swarm, Regen, Carapace) stack once, up to 5 times. In other words at 5 Whips, players have Level 5 Frenzy (whatever that would be).

For each Mature Chamber of the same type, the level of that chamber's Passive Upgrades (Melee, Armor) are increased by 1, up to 3 times. So for Armor Level 3, you'd need 3 Mature Crags.

Many are saying Marines have to win early or not at all, because Kharaa are overpowered at 2 Hives. Perhaps tying their progression in this manner would not only moderate their progression, but also make them easier to cripple.

Comments

• OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited June 2011
    I like the concept. It gives alien research and economy a unique feel. It less about pressing upgrade buttons and more about building alien structures. Hive count acts as a prerequisite for certain things, and so this would fit right in with that theme. I would also throw in Harvester count. Especially for stuff that doesn't fit with either Crag,Shade or Shift. If lerk snipe wasn't available by default, and was instead acquired as a lifeform mutation, it wouldn't fit with either 3. I'd hesitate adding it as another Whip upgrade, since its UI is already getting full. But you could have the mutation grayed out on the mutation selection screen, and indicating it can become available to players once the team has 3 harvesters.

All this would give targets for marines to take out in order to weaken aliens. Right now it all rests on the hive. It still wouldn't be as specific as marine structures, and would be shared and spread out among various structures.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    alien structures are easily killed with shotguns and the ARC. They would have to have more health if they held alien upgrades.
  • Enhance89Enhance89 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69261Members
    I think one thing NS2 has going for it right now is that it's relatively simplistic in comparison to NS. NS had a huge learning curve imho and NS2 is more new-user friendly. I'm not saying your suggestion is overly complicated, but it does add something else to think about and worry about for new players and current players.

It seems like the easier fix is balancing the power marines have early in comparison to what aliens get early.