Are you satisfied with the new fade blink?

louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
do you think the new fade blink is fair?

i honestly think its currently imbalanced and the only way for it to be fair is if it were less confusing. Make the fade have a trail of himself through his shifted state so marines can see where he is going but they cannot damage him neither can the fade attack in his blink.

that way you wont see a fade appear in your face and kill you so oddly with no chance of knowing he was coming.

what do you think?

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited June 2011
    I admit that the current implementation is not totally balanced yet, but I'm liking the fact Marines can't tell which direction the Fades will come from and disappear to (which keeps them on high alert). The Fade should be intimidating, spreading chaos and confusion in its presence, but not so much that its opponents can't fight back (that's Onos' job).

Let's see what the movement changes will do to Blink next patch, and the double-tap Quick Blink.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    I don't think that fundamental mechanic which the new blink is implemented in is the problem. I prefer the blink would allow fades to have full control and allow them to maintain their momentum when they exit blink.

The problem with this patch that is making everyone point fingers at the new blink is that RFK heavily favors the alien team, allows Fades to receive much more Crag and whip support then they should , and makes personal res much harder to acquire, meaning marines will have less shotguns, flamers, and GL's, while at the same time their commander is also short on Pres to provide ammo and medpacks but has about 200 team resources which have little to no value once the main base is completely full of sentries and all the upgrades have been maxed out.

RFK also means the alien team typically during mid and late game have around 500 spare team resources.

I can recall when i played a 7v7 game as the alien commander the whole time i literally tried to spend all the resources we were gaining, and it simply isn't possible, no matter how many hives, crags, whips i laid down and no matter how many upgrades i researched at once it wasn't possible to spend it all, i was still left with 200 resources.

RFK is what is making kills become the priority and allows the aliens to build so many crags and whips to keep their fades in the fight who would ordinarily be forced to retreat back to the nearest hive for healing, can use some of the 6 crags behind the corner that the alien comm could lie down using 1/5 of his available resources.

I have said this before, but i still honestly think if RFK were to be taken out the very next patch,or at the very least make it give Personal resources only, a large amount of the imbalances in the game right now would be improved, or eliminated.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1851890:date=Jun 11 2011, 03:08 PM:name=Heroman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heroman117 @ Jun 11 2011, 03:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851890"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->RFK also means the alien team typically during mid and late game have around 500 spare team resources.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"Added random player resources for player kills (1-3 ala NS1)"

Seems to say this on the changelog? 1 TRes per 8 seconds can accumulate quickly though.
  • lazylazy Join Date: 2005-07-23 Member: 56631Members
    Would be better if RFK was not random but a fixed amount depending on what is killed.
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    edited June 2011
    the current blink is very fitting for an assault shock trooper - that is, if the fade is shifted towards a more fragile risktaker class instead of a bulldozer.

edit: when I think about it - actually the fade should be fragile and lethal, and have customization evolutions for either toughness or more stealthplay.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Since UWE has moved to the NS1 blink, they should make it so fades can take damage while in blink mode. That would help quite a bit.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    edited June 2011
    I like the current blink very much, not sure if we should have air control (as in strafing), but would be nice if it always moved towards where we aim, or atleast accerelated towards it.
    I would prefer if the fade had a big accerelation towards where you aim, but also a lot of airfriction, making it pretty much same speed as it currently is, but do small curves before aligning with your view direction again.

I also think it should keep its momentum.

Also, just an idea, what if the fade could start one of the slow swipes, then blink (with it paused while in limbo), and when you exit, the motion resumes. Would make for some pretty epic ambushing on lone marines.
    I'll try to explain my idea using the current audio for the fade ("hiiiish" is the slow swipe, "foosh" is tele sound): *"hii" "foosh" -silence- "foosh" "iish"*
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited June 2011
    The "Rail-Gun" was supposed to be the counter for the fade.

So why not allow the Rail-gun to hit the fade whilst it is blinking.

Also, instead of the flamethrower slowing down 'Energy Regeneration' I think it should set the Fade alight when he is in his blink. It should be a small fire trail effect behind him.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just want to say that we have enough topic about the new Fade!
    Why does everyone start a new Thread??

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113702" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=113702</a>
    Or
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113684" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=113684</a>
    Or
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113685" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=113685</a>

That are some threds about Fade in build 178.

Pls use the search button and read the other Topics!
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Blink is fine, in fact with the planned introduction of free movement and momentum will be perfect. If the fade is too powerful then reduce the HPs, but don't nerf blink.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1851911:date=Jun 12 2011, 07:25 AM:name=mokkat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mokkat @ Jun 12 2011, 07:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the current blink is very fitting for an assault shock trooper - that is, if the fade is shifted towards a more fragile risktaker class instead of a bulldozer.

edit: when I think about it - actually the fade should be fragile and lethal, and have customization evolutions for either toughness or more stealthplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1851924:date=Jun 12 2011, 08:09 AM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Jun 12 2011, 08:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Blink is fine, in fact with the planned introduction of free movement and momentum will be perfect. If the fade is too powerful then reduce the HPs, but don't nerf blink.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1851945:date=Jun 12 2011, 10:05 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 12 2011, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851945"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->luns is obviously biased towards aliens, so you might want to keep that in mind when you read his posts (if you couldn't see for yourself).

Anyway, I don't get why you think the fade should keep all of its good HP/Armour when by reducing it, you solve the situations you've outlined in your post. I think it's good that the fade blinks so much, since that's kind of its point.

But of course, if you reduce fade HP or Armour (which is just another form of HP), then shotguns will be able to drop fades so much easier, when currently, fades are pretty much the only things that can take shotgun marines on. But shotguns are too strong as it is, as they can drop pretty much everything too quickly, so you nerf that as well (say, by half), and now the shotgun is not too strong against fades (or anything else) any more.

Maybe give the aliens the toggleable ability to redirect damage to energy if they need the extra hit points, and can sacrifice their ability spam.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    edited June 2011
    Nope, it's pretty awful in its current state. It needs to be like NS1's blink, along with a small armor nerf.

edit: oops
    I always roll my eyes when I see "needs to be like NS1", but I also roll my eyes when I see "it's" used in place of "its". I must just roll my eyes a lot.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1851956:date=Jun 11 2011, 06:46 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 11 2011, 06:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I always roll my eyes when I see "needs to be like NS1", but I also roll my eyes when I see "it's" used in place of "its". I must just roll my eyes a lot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

careful, rolling eyes is a gateway behavior for becoming a hipster. if you start disliking more things than you like, its a good precursor to look out for.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Some of you people need to look up the word "blink" and its meaning in this context. The fade DISAPPEARS from one location and APPEARS in another. The fade DOES NOT BLOODY FLY THROUGH THE FRIGGING AIR. It should not leave trails, it should not be shootable. Hell, I'd go so far as to say it shouldn't collide with models whilst blinking.

--Scythe--
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes I like the new Fade Blink and I'll like it better when they make it multidirectional. If Fades aren't balanced afterwards then they should tweak other things to counterbalance it instead of nerfing it to not being fun again.
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1851962:date=Jun 12 2011, 11:13 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jun 12 2011, 11:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851962"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->careful, rolling eyes is a gateway behavior for becoming a hipster. if you start disliking more things than you like, its a good precursor to look out for.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The problem isn't with me, it's with the world.

<i>edit: context</i>

<!--quoteo(post=1851963:date=Jun 12 2011, 11:30 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Jun 12 2011, 11:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some of you people need to look up the word "blink" and its meaning in this context. The fade DISAPPEARS from one location and APPEARS in another. The fade DOES NOT BLOODY FLY THROUGH THE FRIGGING AIR. It should not leave trails, it should not be shootable. Hell, I'd go so far as to say it shouldn't collide with models whilst blinking.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree with this.
    <!--quoteo(post=1851964:date=Jun 12 2011, 11:30 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Jun 12 2011, 11:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851964"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes I like the new Fade Blink and I'll like it better when they make it multidirectional. If Fades aren't balanced afterwards then they should tweak other things to counterbalance it instead of nerfing it to not being fun again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And this.
  • Ryo-OhkiRyo-Ohki Join Date: 2009-03-26 Member: 66917Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1851963:date=Jun 12 2011, 01:30 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Jun 12 2011, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some of you people need to look up the word "blink" and its meaning in this context. The fade DISAPPEARS from one location and APPEARS in another. The fade DOES NOT BLOODY FLY THROUGH THE FRIGGING AIR. It should not leave trails, it should not be shootable. Hell, I'd go so far as to say it shouldn't collide with models whilst blinking.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And the previous Blink did that just fine. However UWE decided to give Fades their old god-mode move back which I emphatically disagree with. Personally I liked the first iteration of Blink in NS2; it had a high skill ceiling and was an actual teleportation.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I like the new blink more. The icy blue effect is a bit much though and doesn't match the regular alien yellows/oranges.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I love the new blink, but it obviously still needs some heavy balancing. Lowering the fade health/armor or making it so they can take damage while in blink mode would definitely help.
    edited June 2011
    Why would it take damage in blink mode? It's body isn't there until it reappears.

Fade has to be strong to fight exosuits, miniguns, jetpacks etc. And when the performance/lagg issues improve marines will be much more successful at killing aliens.
    <!--quoteo(post=1852001:date=Jun 11 2011, 11:57 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jun 11 2011, 11:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852001"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would it take damage in blink mode? It's body isn't there until it reappears.

Fade has to be strong to fight exosuits, miniguns, jetpacks etc. And when the performance/lagg issues improve marines will be much more successful at killing aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lore can be made up to suit gameplay purposes. Besides, the Fade is able to interact with "this" dimension even in the parallel plane (as evident by physical interaction between the Fade and entities/objects, bullets shouldn't be any exception)

Although, I'm liking the idea of the Railgun being able to shoot Fades in Blink state. Maybe when Motion Tracking is implemented, Exosuit Marines can get a lock on Fades a few seconds into Blink.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1851981:date=Jun 12 2011, 04:09 PM:name=Ryo-Ohki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryo-Ohki @ Jun 12 2011, 04:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851981"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And the previous Blink did that just fine. However UWE decided to give Fades their old god-mode move back which I emphatically disagree with. Personally I liked the first iteration of Blink in NS2; it had a high skill ceiling and was an actual teleportation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In its current implementation (187) the fade is invisible and invincible whilst blinking. I like the current implementation as it allows the fade to have a better idea of where he'll come out, and the direction in which he'll be facing. It's essentially tankefugl's blink.

--Scythe--
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I was initially sceptical of the new fade blink but am now completely behind it. The new fade blink instills absolute terror in groups of marines and that's the way it should be. Being unable to track a fade in your rifle sights as it blinks around a dark room picking off your mates one by one is an utterly spine chilling and emotive experience. It makes playing against a fade as much fun as playing as a fade!

At the moment the fade may be causing a slight imbalance, but I strongly believe the core mechanic is sound.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited June 2011
    It certainly works a lot better than the old one, my only gripe is that it isn't very useful for moving around the map. But I assume once they get rid of that weird jolt at the end and add turning it will be more useful.

Also yeah it is making the fade kinda OP but I think a health nerf to encourage more reliance on the blink mechanic would be better than cutting the mechanic.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1851890:date=Jun 12 2011, 01:08 AM:name=Heroman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heroman117 @ Jun 12 2011, 01:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851890"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think that fundamental mechanic which the new blink is implemented in is the problem. I prefer the blink would allow fades to have full control and allow them to maintain their momentum when they exit blink.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree, the NS1-blink is still far superior to the current implementation. Its much more fun. However this blink is still considerable upgrade from the previous version. Also I don't like the fact the fade disappears.

What the devs could do, is make NS1-style blink but shade the fade's colors when he is blinking and his hitboxes would still be there.

This fade blink simply does not have depth. Its like Alien vs Predator alien blink, just not as bad as that (it was horrible).
    I always thought NS1 blink looked silly. The fade flying around with arms and legs flailing....no indication how it was doing that either.

Teleporting/travelling invisible/shifting through dimensions is what makes the fade so uniquely cool.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2011
    No.

I want fades to be faintly visible during blink; preferably being rendered with a screen space distortion shader(heat-haze effect). I believe this is compatible with deferred rendering if applied as a "post-process" when all the opaque geometry has been rendered. This effect should be implemented eventually for water, glass and heat haze at some point anyway, so I don't belive it's an undue amount of extra work.

I want fades to be able to take damage during blink and I want there to be some measure of air control.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1852018:date=Jun 12 2011, 05:43 PM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Jun 12 2011, 05:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also I don't like the fact the fade disappears.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

then why should we keep calling it fade... lets call it "zip through the air like a lerk"

the whole point of the fade from the beginning was the ability to disappear, being a ambusher , shock trooper whatever

and i think you just cant the hit the fade when it blinks because it does not just get invisible, its shifting its phase and tunnels through some out of phase reality. you cant set it on fire and watch it drag a firetrail behind because it would take the fire just with it into the tunnel.
    in terms of balance i think theres a bit to much control when blinking , like to much control on turns. fade would be more skill based if you have to think before you blink, not just hit the blink button and fly around rethinking your tactic. fade should not be able to correct its course so drasticly, giving it more inertia so it could not do such hard turns, making it more a straight path "flyer" with some air control. making it harder to escape if you didnt think first about an escape route which wont expose you to much