The Department of Education had a SWAT team

SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Who knew?</div><a href="http://www.news10.net/news/article/141108/2/Questions-surround-feds-raid-of-Stockton-home" target="_blank">Full Story</a>

Unless his wife is the Frank Abagnale of the academic world then you know there is a problem when the Department of Education is breaking down doors and arresting people in the middle of the night.

Comments

• ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    From the article that sounds like what his wife is. The OIGs are responsible for investigating fraud within, or pertaining to, federal organizations. So she probably defrauded the DoE some how.

Sucks to be him.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    I compared her to Frank Abagnale for the scale of the crime and level of elusiveness. I am sure she is accused of fraud I am just hoping it was something pretty major to warrant that kind of response.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    It's got to be pretty goddamn major if it warrants fifteen officers and forceful entry into a private home. Not even Bernie Madoff got that kind of treatment, and he committed fraud for <i>billions</i> of dollars. This woman must have single-handedly toppled the U.S. economy or something.

Oh, or maybe this was just a ridiculously heavy-handed overreaction by law enforcement. As usual.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    edited June 2011
    This isn't the DoE swat team

they specifically said it was OIG, and they are scary buggers who mainly concern themselves with trimming the fat in the government and finding fraud and waste etc. When I worked for the government the patch panels in a main server room was so bad it was literally criminal, they came by and investigated. Apart from that and staring at the cypher lock door at the end of the hallway that was the only contact I had. They police every government department. They are basically detectives, this raid is part of digging to the bottom of something...

that being said the financial robbery/rape/murder that went down is far far worse and no one has seen time except for Bernie and he wasn't even connected to the loan shenanigans

[edit]
    that being said if they broke the door there is a case number and he will get it reimbursed... eventually...
    [/edit]
    The reason ol' Bernie got thrown into prison was that he wasn't actually rich. His ponzi scheme had run to its inevitable conclusion, and it was discovered that he had nothing left. ACTUALLY rich people don't go to prison. That could risk setting a precedent that establishes that your money doesn't have anything to do with whether you get punished or not, and nobody wants that.
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1851058:date=Jun 9 2011, 02:05 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jun 9 2011, 02:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851058"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The reason ol' Bernie got thrown into prison was that he wasn't actually rich. His ponzi scheme had run to its inevitable conclusion, and it was discovered that he had nothing left. ACTUALLY rich people don't go to prison. That could risk setting a precedent that establishes that your money doesn't have anything to do with whether you get punished or not, and nobody wants that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

More likely, the jail time is retribution for pretending that he had money. It's like if you're caught on a rail without a ticket.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1850976:date=Jun 8 2011, 05:29 PM:name=That_Annoying_Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (That_Annoying_Kid @ Jun 8 2011, 05:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850976"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This isn't the DoE swat team

they specifically said it was OIG,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Article was updated
    Yeah, if said rail would let you get off scot-free if you demonstrate that you COULD have bought a ticket, but elected not to do so nor inform the rail company that you were using their transportation without paying for it.

While making bets on the stock market that their share price would drop due to rampant turnstile-hopping.