Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 178 Released

yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
edited June 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Any comments :)</div>Probably Max will say here ;

Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 178 Released here
--------------------
Max McGuire
Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment

So I did before he do :)
I just download Build 178 ! Thanx UWE

Yayy new Fade !

Lets taste it :)

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Can you put pictures of the new Blink and Evolve Menu? Thanks :DD
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    edited June 2011
    Concerning the client-FPS and server-tickrate, I haven't really observed noticable improvement. Just had a quick go at #156, tickrate held up the first few minutes but dropped to around 20 and below not long after that, and that is with 156's powerful hardware as I understand it.

[EDIT]
    Now it's making my display-driver kernel crash on start-up, that's a first.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    edited June 2011
    Authentication Fail error message lol.
  • Slickk-Slickk- Join Date: 2007-11-26 Member: 63019Members
    Really fluid, first time i felt I was truly engaged with the game.

However, after the server filling up quickly to 7 vs 7 (which seemed to be going fine) all of a sudden...lag central.
    The only event that happened just prior was that we had just met the requirements to unlock Fade.
  • minibananaminibanana Join Date: 2009-09-03 Member: 68682Members
    edited June 2011
    Auth Fail as well for me when trying to join servers with summit map.

Never mind just got onto a server :)
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1850651:date=Jun 7 2011, 05:08 PM:name=Slickk-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slickk- @ Jun 7 2011, 05:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850651"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really fluid, first time i felt I was truly engaged with the game.

However, after the server filling up quickly to 7 vs 7 (which seemed to be going fine) all of a sudden...lag central.
    The only event that happened just prior was that we had just met the requirements to unlock Fade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In NS2 Steam Group chat, a playtester said something about Blink making others lag and not the Fade player himself, maybe that's what caused it?
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    The new Bloom effect is blinding. I find myself squinting constantly because EVERYTHING that is illuminated has this gigantic bloom!

Please either reduce the magnitude of this effect or allow it to be disabled in the options menu.
  • Jon-AceJon-Ace Join Date: 2009-06-13 Member: 67817Members
    Massive amounts of lag after a server goes over roughly 16 players.
  • ZramuliZZramuliZ Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1850654:date=Jun 8 2011, 01:15 AM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Jun 8 2011, 01:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850654"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The new Bloom effect is blinding. I find myself squinting constantly because EVERYTHING that is illuminated has this gigantic bloom!

Please either reduce the magnitude of this effect or allow it to be disabled in the options menu.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

r_bloom 0 in the console.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    About 2 minutes in, my display became corrupt (artifact pattern all over the screen, models also messed up), and the problem persists after restarting the game and verifying local files. I'll try deleting/reinstalling next...
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    need a new ARC feature: have marines able to ride it while in motion. i beg you to implement it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2011
    20 player server (I believe it was UK mandown or something), server tick rate of 4. But I was able to move and shoot stuff. Not hit anything, but hell. Got a vid recording of it, seeing a low tickrate server in action is kinda the idea.

Going to have a look at a better server next and compiling them both in one vid I guess...

good thing is I got my own voice recording on a second soundcard while being able to talk ingame to actually work! YAY :P
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Just Launched the Supernova server (west coast USA) with 12 slots. After i see how it runs i will increase to 16 and so on. Let me know how the server performs if you play on it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1850661:date=Jun 7 2011, 08:31 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jun 7 2011, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->20 player server (I believe it was UK mandown or something), server tick rate of 4. But I was able to move and shoot stuff. Not hit anything, but hell. Got a vid recording of it, seeing a low tickrate server in action is kinda the idea.

Going to have a look at a better server next and compiling them both in one vid I guess...

good thing is I got my own voice recording on a second soundcard while being able to talk ingame to actually work! YAY :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you have a sexy masculine voice
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1850664:date=Jun 8 2011, 12:39 AM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Jun 8 2011, 12:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850664"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you have a sexy masculine voice<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol, that part actually got recorded XD

Too bad the server killed itself though... Well it wasn't doing it's job at all actually...
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1850654:date=Jun 7 2011, 05:15 PM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Jun 7 2011, 05:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850654"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The new Bloom effect is blinding. I find myself squinting constantly because EVERYTHING that is illuminated has this gigantic bloom!

Please either reduce the magnitude of this effect or allow it to be disabled in the options menu.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Must be a bug, it's pretty subtle. Take a screenshot.

Here's a quick run through I captured.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TZkhu70tObU"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TZkhu70tObU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • Slickk-Slickk- Join Date: 2007-11-26 Member: 63019Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1850650:date=Jun 8 2011, 12:06 AM:name=wulf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wulf @ Jun 8 2011, 12:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850650"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Authentication Fail error message lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I got that, it was because steam friends etc went down. Worked fine after it went back up.

Although the first part of my B158 play was on the above mentioned UK server which started off great but then started to lag, i created my own server to test some things. My PC is about 4 years old, it's probably worth noting.
    Please don't think i'm being overly negative, i really like it but theres a fair few more cons that pros (as there always is in a beta).

Pros:

- New Fade blink is really cool.
    - Visually and smoothness is fantastic until a point (see below)
    - ARC is really cool.
    - Phase gates are brilliant.
    - Love the new evolve menu and evolving stage.

Cons:

- Not a fan of the skulk walking on metal noise on summit - seems a bit intrusive it's like yeah i get it...i'm walking on metal.
    - NPCs struggle with buildings. You put a building in the way then you need to hold their hand all the way around.
    - Highlighting several MACs to build a singular building from fresh doesn't work.
    - Even on my local server, after research Phase tech was researched things started to get laggy.
    - Noticed a lot of lua errors (which i'm sure someone else will capture).
    - Upon completing building creation, the audio for when a soldiers objectives are complete sounded when it was completed by a MAC.
    - Upon directly looking down the barrel of the ARC, the source of light is off center.
    - Missing sound errors, from memory: Fade landing sound.

Overall, a big improvement for me. I get the feeling that there's something causing some kind of problem when you start getting further into tech trees. I'm unconvinced it's a time elapsed-based problem as it seemed to happen after a certain point.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited June 2011
    Hmm there are someproblems about alien commanding on new ns2_summit map. Drifts generally stack behind hives because of narrow area.

And I cant drop res tower while the res node is empty :) These drifters are really lazy.

Online gameplay a bit laggy and this new map again very heavy. Very good map but too much details imao.
    Why we should start test with heavy maps? There should be a light map for players who has FPS problems

I think still engine is not playable and will not be after some patches
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    On the new fade blink:

1) Love the direction its going, but it needs refinement. Needs air control like NS1, instead of moving to the destination in a rigid straight line.

2) Momentum needs to be retained when exiting blink instead of hitting a dead stop.

3) Need a bit more time in the "ethereal" zone to better choose when/where you're exiting to enable better tactics. This issue may get better once air control like NS1 is in.
    after game ends, screen goes black minus the "press f1 for blah blah". can only exit via task manager.
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1850666:date=Jun 7 2011, 08:44 PM:name=JediYoshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JediYoshi @ Jun 7 2011, 08:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850666"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Must be a bug, it's pretty subtle. Take a screenshot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not a bug, just my subjective opinion. It's just as distracting in your video. Feel like my eyes are burning.
  • SiNzSiNz Join Date: 2009-08-12 Member: 68445Members
    Hey NS2 team, i got a few issues with NS2 :P I believe the map is Rockdown.. As a skulk when i'm on the roof above the command station at marines main spawn, when i press space bar to drop ontop of the Command Station it automatically puts me back onto the roof.. It's coz of how you guys have mad the skulk stick to the walls much easier and the same issue in the vent, instead of running on the flat surface, you keep sticking to the walls whilst running as a skulk.. The other thing, i tryed to evolve in the vents which i couldn't untill i crouched, then when i evolved my whole screen went back, could hear sounds, make sounds, shoot parasite n what not, i pressed F and all i could see was my mouth and teeth glowing on a black backgroond
  • PhYzorPhYzor Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22005Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    yeah the new fade blink is very strange when you stop to blink you are stop brutally, it will be better if we can continue our movement
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1850676:date=Jun 7 2011, 06:08 PM:name=PhYzor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhYzor @ Jun 7 2011, 06:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850676"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah the new fade blink is very strange when you stop to blink you are stop brutally, it will be better if we can continue our movement<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They added friction to ease Fade out of Blink, should probably reduce friction so you slide an inch after you're done Blink :)
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1850674:date=Jun 7 2011, 06:03 PM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Jun 7 2011, 06:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850674"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not a bug, just my subjective opinion. It's just as distracting in your video. Feel like my eyes are burning.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see, were your eyes already averse to the game without bloom? This is more easier for me to look at as it unharshens the lighting from the shadows by creating a blend in between the two. Otherwise the clean look of no bloom had the result of harsh lights immediately against black shadows.
  • LazurahLazurah Join Date: 2011-06-04 Member: 102655Members
    It still runs around 10fps for me, so I can only really run Gorge or Commander without totally sucking. I feel like the bloom is overwhelming as well.
    However, I do like the new evolution menu. The fact that it lists your personal resources and the costs of the evolutions is very helpful.
    <!--quoteo(post=1850678:date=Jun 7 2011, 09:12 PM:name=JediYoshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JediYoshi @ Jun 7 2011, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850678"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I see, were your eyes already averse to the game without bloom?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not at all.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    Would like blink to have air control, and the ability to maintain speed via jumping after blink has ended. Still really not alien team cohesiveness, nobody really willing to gorge and if they do they're just doing it for their own hydra fun.
    How's the new res model for y'all? More TRes means more upgrades and structures, and RFK to make up for the fact PRes generates very slowly, right?
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1850672:date=Jun 8 2011, 01:00 AM:name=aeroripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeroripper @ Jun 8 2011, 01:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850672"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the new fade blink:

1) Love the direction its going, but it needs refinement. Needs air control like NS1, instead of moving to the destination in a rigid straight line.

2) Momentum needs to be retained when exiting blink instead of hitting a dead stop.

3) Need a bit more time in the "ethereal" zone to better choose when/where you're exiting to enable better tactics. This issue may get better once air control like NS1 is in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this.

I've just had some time to test this patch today, after being gone for long while.
    I'm actually happy to see how blink is being handled finally, compared to how it was before the current blink is like leap into the future.
    now lets talk about the things I've repeated before many times.

the game still lacks skill based movement, no air control and no momentum, at all.
    blink is rather slow, i'm not sure if I should be pushing right click harder for blink to go faster? but seriouesly, its slow.
    when you exist blink state their is a delay in attacking, that is actually big problem.

has anyone noticed how much energy blink drains? not right at all.
    I can't just tap on blink gently to get quick small blink, being forced to hold right click kills it.