Metro: Last Light

DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
edited June 2011 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">Metro 2033 sequel</div><a href="http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/60544/Metro-2033-Last-Light-Announced-Trailer-Unleashed" target="_blank">IGN</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/metrovideogame" target="_blank">Official Youtube Channel</a>

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Su1djPuvDnw"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Su1djPuvDnw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IjP0Z51BsJ0"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IjP0Z51BsJ0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is the year 2034.
Beneath the ruins of post-apocalyptic Moscow, in the tunnels of the Metro, the remnants of mankind are besieged by deadly threats from outside – and within.
Mutants stalk the catacombs beneath the desolate surface, and hunt amidst the poisoned skies above.
But rather than stand united, the station-cities of the Metro are locked in a struggle for the ultimate power, a doomsday device from the military vaults of D6. A civil war is stirring that could wipe humanity from the face of the earth forever.
As Artyom, burdened by guilt but driven by hope, you hold the key to our survival – the last light in our darkest hour…
• A gripping, story-driven first person shooter, Metro: Last Light is the hugely anticipated sequel to 2010’s critically acclaimed cult classic Metro 2033
• Experience thrilling combat with an exotic arsenal of hand-made weaponry against deadly foes – both human and mutant – and use stealth to launch attacks under the cover of darkness
• Explore the post-apocalyptic world of the Moscow Metro, one of the most immersive, atmospheric game worlds ever created
• Fight for every bullet and every last breath in a claustrophobic blend of survival horror and FPS gameplay
• Next generation technology boasting stunning lighting and physics sets a new graphical benchmark on both console and PC
• Wage post-apocalyptic warfare online, as Last Light delivers an intense multiplayer experience amongst the dark Russian ruins<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Damn them and their lack of details.

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Some Shooter Game 2: The Sequel.

This is one of those games where I know the title and literally nothing else. Completely under the radar.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    While I haven't played it myself, what I heard was that it was a very good setting/theme/game but with some fiddly stealth mechanics and overall lacking gameplay. Basically like Stalker.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    I tried playing Stalker but couldn't get into it, Metro 2033 kept my attention until the end. Metro had some faults but was over all an enjoyable game, nothing extraordinary but much better then the cash cow shooters that dominate the market these days.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    If you have not played metro 2033 I highly suggest getting it. The single player is amazing, its got a great balance of different gameplay for a first person shooter.
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    edited June 2011
    I really enjoyed it as well, it had great atmosphere, unique ideas and had some nice set-pieces.

However overall I didn't like it as much as I did stalker as it just didn't feel as <i>big</i> nor did the world feel as interesting.
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    Metro was ok. Some of the ideas were nice but overall nothing special.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited June 2011
    Metro 2033 is one of those games that in a few years you'll find on GoG. It's a major sleeper hit, absolutely soaked in atmosphere that has almost everything going for it. The gameplay was a bit iffy in a few places and even though it wasn't that short, it still FELT a little short (perhaps because of how totally linear it was), but in the end I was THOROUGHLY impressed by it.

I even went through again and played it in Ranger Hardcore mode (absolutely no HUD except in a few places, like checking your inventory) and went for the Enlightened ending and it was an overall excellent story-driven FPS experience :) The Enlightened ending is well worth achieving as it explains the story a lot better than the "If it's hostile, kill it" ending that almost everyone got the first time through. It explains the Dark Ones a lot better.

On top of it all, the game is extremely well presented. It's absolutely beautiful to behold, the voice acting is top notch, and the story is presented in an engaging manner (though as I said, <a href="http://guides.ign.com/guides/39148/page_49.html" target="_blank">go for the Enlightened ending</a> - turns out there was more to the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novus_homo" target="_blank">Homo Novus</a> aspect then I thought (which is what the guy at the beginning of the game calls the Dark Ones, referring to them as the 'next step in evolution'.

Critically though, I was disappointed by how railroaded it was (HAHAHA GET IT, because it's a metro...?), and some of the gameplay aspects were underused. I liked the haunted metro tunnel, but it was lame that that was the only real time they put ghosts in the game (there's one scene at the very beginning when you're on the first train car and everyone gets knocked out, and some ghosts block a passage to stop you from getting through at a later point). Seemed like kind of a waste.

What I'd prefer for Last Light is having more open-world aspects interspersed with linear story-driven sections so I can stretch my legs a bit. Too often felt like I was being rushed through.

At any rate, Metro 2033 is worth playing through again with some sort of walkthrough handy as some of the more clever story bits can be easily missed on your first chaotic run-through. I'd also suggest Ranger Hardcore mode as it makes it more more survivalish :D (You get like... one bullet in every magazine you find).
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Bit related, you know how Steam has that wish list? It should alert you whenever a game on your wish list goes on sale or gets reduced in price. That way I could put Metro on there and get it when it's dirt cheap at some point.
    They probably won't do that. They want you to keep checking the steam store.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1850804:date=Jun 8 2011, 08:40 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jun 8 2011, 08:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bit related, you know how Steam has that wish list? It should alert you whenever a game on your wish list goes on sale or gets reduced in price. That way I could put Metro on there and get it when it's dirt cheap at some point.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be such an awesome feature.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    It may not be a Steam feature, but there is a website that does that:

<a href="http://www.cheapassgamer.com/" target="_blank">http://www.cheapassgamer.com/</a>

You sign up, go to the price tracker, pick all the games you want and set a price threshold and it will email you whenever one of those games drops below that price.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    i ###### hated the librarians, these friggen creatures traumatized me, sometimes i had to stop playing for a few hours when i heard their grunting and breathing, sometimes i just kept playing until i spotted them, their stares when they spot you and the way they moved was realy unnerving, knowing you have barely enough ammo to take one down....and theres 5 more. i totaly lost it when i had to sneak through their nest with all of these sleeping creatures, and then the greed makes you go even deeper just to pick up a few rounds of ammo... oh gawd.. and the air filters.. i was moving so slow all the times i went through them like poppcorn, fortunately there are tons of them, maybe they should have shortend them a lil bit more, it just happend like twice that i ran out of air filters because i forgot to buy some. such a damn intense atmosphere .. loved it, even though it got a bit frightening in some places.

now i have to replay it D:
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    I only had a handful of magnum rounds when I entered the librarian nest as I used all my pneumatic arrows on the section previous. D=

Did everyone get all the different endings ? By the looks of it they've went with the (badish) destroying the dark ones ending for the sequel.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    Trick to the librarians was to not move if they spotted you. You get the chance of them walking up to you and sniffing you then running off, or they decide to take your head off. I made it through only having to kill one or two of them.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    omg i would not have the nerve just to sit there watching it coming closer
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    I must have hoarded stuff quite nicely or something, I never understood you had to stare AND stand still and they would go away, I had to kill them all. So my fighting was practically something of a stare-strafe-shooting contest. I don't allow strange creatures to approach me when they clearly have been declared horribly dangerous by the ai.

For me, the surface creatures with "human" faces creeped me out the most. They made strange sounds, were unpredictable and just plain goosebumpingly scary.
    I didn't kill any of them, you can stare down the first one but after that they get more aggressive and I just ran for it.
    Its fun playing the game with more stealth as you can horde ammo more. The throwing knife is pretty much an instant kill, between that and having a pneumatic gun you can play much of the game without using any ammo. <3 being able to pick up used bolts/knives :D
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    edited June 2011
    I bought and played Metro 2033 as a direct result of this thread and let me just say:

Wow it's good.

I mean, <b>really</b> good!

Not only was I stunned by the graphical prowess of the engine but god is the game moody and atmospheric to boot! Walking through the cities I feel a great mixture of sadness, pity, despair and sometimes hope and in one notable case at The Hole station.. a great deal of regret and even shame.

This game is surprisingly adept at tugging at my emotional strings. Above ground feels dangerous and desolate like an alien planet and below ground feels familiar if not actually safe.

Sure sure, there are pretty bad problems with the AI (running around in circles behind walls for instance) but that's really the only flaw I can point out of the game and I can easily forgive it when I'm given such a satisfying and gripping environment and story. Another complaint might be the (so far at least) strict linearity of the game even though I can forgive that too since each area seems to have multiple routes and areas-within-areas.

I'm really, really, really looking forward to Metro: last light now so I can get more Metro :3