What has happened

XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
<div class="IPBDescription">since you joined this forum</div>I know many of the regulars here have been around for some time, myself included. This is the thread were you get to talk about changes in your life between your reg-date and todays date.

Ill start:
I was an innocent freshman in highschool when I registered(loved me some NS back in the day), went on to graduate in 2007.
Had no idea what I wanted to do, still suffering from teenage apathy, so ended up starting college at a party school. I came to the realization that I had no interest at all in that kind of atmosphere after 1.5 semesters. Met a girl and started my first long term relationship, which followed me when I transferred to a new school to pursue my BS in Electrical Engineering. 3 year later and that relationship ended <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>/cry</span>
I will be graduating with my BS this time next year, then I will be starting work on my MS (EE or Optical Science, not sure yet).
So life has certainly changed in 8 years, but this forum has (<i>almost</i> always) been the same.

Alright, your turn!

Also, is being out of school and having money as great as I'm hoping it's going to be? It really better be.

Comments

• PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    Having money is awesome.

I registered in 2004 if I remember correctly. (Other account I don't have the pw to anymore.)

Finished school, went to paris, worked for blizz for 5 years, quit, went back to Germany, continuing school right now...
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1848942:date=May 28 2011, 03:08 PM:name=Xyth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xyth @ May 28 2011, 03:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848942"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, is being out of school and having money as great as I'm hoping it's going to be? It really better be.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, it's pretty ###### awesome.

Since being on these forums I've graduated high school, college, got a job, and bought a house. The cliche is that high school is supposed to be your 'best days' or the 'best time of your life.' It's not and life gets better as time goes on. Unless you suffer from depression.
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Ste- out of curiosty what's a typical house deposit in America? In the U.K. I'm looking at ~$16.5k but it's notoriously expensive for first time buyers in the UK.

Since this account was created, I guess finished degree in Biomedical Science. Got a job as a Biomedical Scientist (derp) in the UK. Fingers crossed have an interview as a sales rep for a medical company this Friday.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848942:date=May 28 2011, 09:08 PM:name=Xyth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xyth @ May 28 2011, 09:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848942"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, is being out of school and having money as great as I'm hoping it's going to be? It really better be.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, one doesn't necessarily follow the other. Count yourself lucky you didn't finish in 2008.

But for that matter, a friend of mine fled back to school after a few years working as a translator because her boss kept increasing her department's workload despite hiring no new workers and some of her colleagues actually quitting. Employment doesn't guarantee you a happy life either.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1848951:date=May 28 2011, 04:40 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ May 28 2011, 04:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848951"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ste- out of curiosty what's a typical house deposit in America? In the U.K. I'm looking at ~$16.5k but it's notoriously expensive for first time buyers in the UK.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It use to be extremely low, around 5% of the cost of the home, but low deposits was one of the causes of US housing market crash. Now you need a good credit score (720 or above out of a total possible 800) and a 20% deposit.

I was very lucky for a few reasons: 1) I lived at home (parents) and paid no rent for 2 years during which I was able to save money like a madman, 2) the price of homes dropped, 3) and interest rates were at historical lows. The final price of my house was $123,000 so at 20% I put down $24,600. Everyone tries to nickle and dime you to death with closing costs and so many fees, of which I'm sure most are completely unnecessary, but thankfully I negotiated for the seller paid all of those.

Had it not been for the great price and extremely low interest rate (3.75%, 3.79% apr locked for 30 years) I would have been unable to purchase the home. $24,600 sounds like a lot but I was fortunate enough to be employed a month after I graduated and my only focus was to save money. Thankfully, gaming is a very cheap hobby.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Employment doesn't guarantee you a happy life either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Almost anyone can do anything - so long as your coworkers are cool people. If you like your coworkers you will probably enjoy your day - even if you hate your job. Sounds strange, but I've found it to be true.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    Went to college, got three crappy A-levels.

Went to University, got a crappy degree.

Other than that, literally <i>nothing</i>.
  • [WHO]Them[WHO]Them You can call me Dave Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10593Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    Graduated from College.
    Landed my dream job.
    Co-bought a house with my brother.

Met (and later proposed) to my Fiance.

Made some games.

Narbacular Drop
    Portal
    Portal 2

And then there's the smaller stuff.
    Hit 125mph on the freeway a couple times. Just successfully got my first Hackintosh up and running. Shepherded a warhammer guild to level 40. Trained a ton of EVE skills without actually playing. Bought furniture for the first time (and learned that white leather doesn't mix well with cats). Bought my first brand new motorcycle, and recently my first brand new car.

Getting very very close to doing an actual pull up for the first time since I was like 5. I'm like 4 inches away.

I continue to put off a continued education after school. Want to learn electronics but never seem to.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    Finished highschool without any achievements of note and lots of uncertainty. Played lots and lots of NS 2.0
    Finished gymnasium(collage?) without any achievements of note with a bit less uncertainty
    Bought a genuine longbow from some guy who owned land and forest.
    Bought a pair of jumping stilts that makes people shake their heads at me when I walk with em on.
    Took random courses of University grade, fun but not leading to anything serious.

Bought my first very own computer and assembled it from scratch. I guess you can say I was pretty spoiled before then.

Met a girl that was awesome in my opinion. She had a boyfriend. Our course ended, she went to Holland for a year. We talked a lot on MSN. Boyfriend ends relationship when she came back to visit. I totally screw up any kind of support and we stopped talking out of awkwardness. I never got to see her since the end of the course and we moved on.

Currently in the University studying "Interaction Design". Tried hanging out with people on bars and fratparties for half a year (not doing so, like, at all before) until I realized it was merely a money and time sink that only led to casual friendship with both sexes that won't actually help my career in the future. I got to know people in my class more just by going to the lectures than beer drinking at loud parties ever did.

Started going to the gym, am now kind of addicted to it. I'm in the best shape I've ever been but not overly serious so it's taking a lot more time to get results than it would for someone else that is committed. Can't stand the taste of a lot of garbage food anymore. Things like chips, tv dinners, airy white bread and fried stuff.

Grew a large beard just because I really liked the color it got from my mother's side of the family.

/lifestory
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    Holy ######, I'd have to fill about 3-4 posts. Haha
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    finished high school
    got bachelors degree in comp sci (still working on masters)
    moved from Oklahoma to Wisconsin (wow)
    got an amazing job doing what I love (programming)
    bought a new car
    submitted my first bugfix for NS2 (maybe soon we'll get to see skulks/lerks/fades in the ready room!)
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Joined forums in 2001,
    Finished high school,
    Met girl,
    Went to Uni,
    Worked odd jobs during uni holidays, mostly in analytical laboratories,
    Moved in with girl in 2004,
    Played a lot of WoW,
    Graduated uni in mid-2007,
    Got job at big multinational engineering company,
    Bought house with girl in 2009,
    Got two dogs and a cat in 2011,
    Present day.

--Scythe--
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    Finished middle school.
    The rest is a blur.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    what he said

except high school
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Dropped out school, got a job handed to me, became IRC op, started working out at the gym, moved out, recently became forum mod here.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    IIRC I was a very angry person back then, in the last year of <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Högstadiet" target="_blank">högstadiet</a>. At least, I remember sending angry tells in PlanetSide when I got killed in "cheap" ways... must've been pretty funny for the recipients.
    I'm more zen now, or at any rate much better at accepting defeat.

Apart from moving through the education system (I am a programmer now! Well, sort of...) and moving out, I guess there isn't much that I personally have done.
    My parents got a dog, whose leg I accidentally broke when trying to catch him... poor guy. He's a lot calmer than the other dog they got, the son of the first, but they're both adorable and fun-sized terriers.

Lost a testicle due to <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_torsion" target="_blank">testicular torsion</a>, but the worst part of that episode was all the aching in my back, and buckets of cold sweat, before we finally drove off to the hospital. Got a prosthetic ping-pong ball now.

Worked on a programming project (part of aforementioned education) for 4 months with 9 other guys I had never met before, and found that I could indeed contentedly live like that. So I feel good about my choice of specialization. Now I just need to finish some courses and do a thesis...

Had a wisdom tooth that was growing perpendicular to the norm cut out; the painkillers worked excellently, and my biggest worry now is keeping food out of the hollow.

Nothing big.
  • SeaStormSeaStorm Join Date: 2011-05-15 Member: 98808Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848942:date=May 28 2011, 09:08 PM:name=Xyth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xyth @ May 28 2011, 09:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848942"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What has happened, since you joined this forum<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Since I joined, someone created a Thread called "What has happened, since you joined this forum"
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Oh man Align, I remember that time I rolled a VS character, certed Starfire, and started shooting down Reavers and Mossies left, right, and center. I got so many hate tells it was unreal. Was that you? I LOVED getting hate tells.

Oh, or that time, late at night, when I kept crashing Lodestars and Galaxies into a half-full courtyard. So many hate tells.

Also, half the time you killed a cloaker when you were in a cloaking suit yourself, bam hate tell. Apparently people thought cloakers weren't allowed to kill cloakers. So funny.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I think I would have exploded with rage if I had to use aircraft against Starfire, but luckily I played almost exclusively VS.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    I struggled through college, eventually graduating with a degree in geography. Unsurprisingly, did nothing with that degree, instead starting a career in data analysis. Been with the same girl (on and off) since a few years before these forums. Eventually got married, expecting a kid at the end of the year. Crashed my car last year, apartment burned down this year - January is generally a bad month for me. I love this thread idea, despite the fact that my life is pretty standard.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    Aging in itself is just a weird process. I really enjoy eating vegetables and healthy things now and can't stand super sweet food items, exact opposite of years ago.
    I've also developed a sort of respect for people that are significantly older than I'am, because think of how much they have experienced, how many things they've done. Especially people that grew up before computers even existed, that world they lived in is non-existent now and may never exist again <i>ever</i>.
    Kids born now will probably never experience the joy the degaussing a CRT monitor, a travesty!
  • PampelmusePampelmuse Join Date: 2005-04-06 Member: 47641Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1849071:date=May 29 2011, 01:20 PM:name=Xyth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xyth @ May 29 2011, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kids born now will probably never experience the joy the degaussing a CRT monitor, a travesty!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
    degaussing monitors and trying to rephrase all the languages in the options menu of my monitor wasted at least half of my time in computer science back in school.. damn thats 6 years ago already..
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Finished High School
    Got to do some cool stuff in college
    Finished College
    Got a crappy job
    Looking for a better job
    <!--quoteo(post=1849071:date=May 29 2011, 07:20 PM:name=Xyth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xyth @ May 29 2011, 07:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kids born now will probably never experience the joy the degaussing a CRT monitor, a travesty!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hear hear.
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nLzubaYwvgQ"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nLzubaYwvgQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    <i>TWANNGGGGG</i>
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    One time I put a magnet too close to a mate's CRT TV, it went all blotchy purple and green. I lugged his computer monitor over to it, put them glass-to-glass and degaussed the computer monitor. It also degaussed the TV. DARK MAGICKS.

--Scythe--
    Dark magneticks, at least.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    we would get the lan group together during lunch at the high school and degauss the line of monitors at the same time

that was fun
  • tschumanntschumann Australia Join Date: 2010-05-26 Member: 71862Members
    Having only been here a year, not much has changed.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1849098:date=May 29 2011, 05:33 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ May 29 2011, 05:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849098"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hear hear.
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nLzubaYwvgQ"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nLzubaYwvgQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    <i>TWANNGGGGG</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I used to have that <i>exact</i> same monitor, oh the memories.
  • Tom HoenTom Hoen Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68004Members
    Started studying industrial design. Got rid of my old computer with 20" CTR monitor (was too heavy to carry to lanparties) and learned to use 3D modeling programs. Good couple of years.