Squads.

PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
<div class="IPBDescription">How do you do it?</div>I was playing a game of NS2 and I really wanted to be a decent commander and place people into squads so we could attack from 2 sides of the map.

However...

I failed to understand the squad system. For some reason the marines would not be in a squad and it would not label them as "Red squad". Only when the marine joined someone else he became part of a squad.

The current squad system is really hard to understand and seems to be very buggy and useless. I can't make squads unless there are other people with them.

I wanted to just make 2 people in red squad and 2 people in blue squad just so I could easily select them by the user interface but this was not the case.

If you wouldn't mind please tell me how to use squads or if they aren't as they should be implemented then let this thread be used for squad ideas I suppose.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• stipaticipsatstipaticipsat Join Date: 2011-05-26 Member: 100914Members
    Squads system could be better if the commander controled it and put people into if squads. So all he/she has to do is set a way point for the squad and every in it get that order. Or give a ui for everyone to join and leave squads. They seem rather passive as it is. You see names but dont really notice them on the hud. The squad system i believe they made a video saying that they were going to try new things. Who know what tho.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    All they need to do is:

When selecting a marine, you press the "Squad" tab and click one of the buttons for what Squad he should be in. The button then turns on and goes the colour of what squad he is.

You should be able to easily select what Squad you want to choose by selecting the group. There should be buttons on the right side.
  • bengabenga Join Date: 2011-05-26 Member: 100924Members
    Or the sqaud system could work better. Say when you join the marines it will put you in a squad right away. It can be 3 man squads and if you are playing with people on your steam friends list it will put you guys together. Thus the commander doesnt have to bother to put people together. This will put them together right away. Then you can just set one way point for everyone in the squad.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1848616:date=May 26 2011, 07:24 PM:name=benga)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (benga @ May 26 2011, 07:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848616"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or the sqaud system could work better. Say when you join the marines it will put you in a squad right away. It can be 3 man squads and if you are playing with people on your steam friends list it will put you guys together. Thus the commander doesnt have to bother to put people together. This will put them together right away. Then you can just set one way point for everyone in the squad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My suggestion is a lot less complicated, and you can be in a squad with whoever you want, and with as many you want, the game simply suggests that you should stick around with your teammates. And sticking around with teammates is already a buff of a kind. No specific numbers like your 3 man squads. And the commander doesn't have to do anything for this to work. He should have easy access to select a whole squad in the HUD though.

Edit: Oh, I thought I posted my suggestion in this thread, but it was in another thread very much alike this one :s

Here it goes:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People that go on lone wolf missions, don't usually accomplish much, and the commander usually don't support them. They go rambo, they die, they go rambo, they die, they go rambo, they die. Some people learn that this is not the way to play the game, because they die alot more often when they walk alone. As people play the game more, they get better at using teamwork to their advantage. Because being alone in NS is a great disadvantage, especially as marines.

But on topic, yes UWE know that squads needs some work, and they might already have thought of some ideas. Who knows ;)
    Although I don't think that a "arbitrary numbers buff", as KuBaN already named them, would work.
    Instead maybe notify marines that they are not in a squad when they are moving away from their teammates. Maybe even a audio notification that says; "You are not in a squad, locate your teammates"
    And then the squad-rings (as seen from commander view) should maybe be a little bigger so we won't have this audio being played all the time when you are fighting in larger areas.
    This way you would also know when your teammates stop following you. Which is quite important, and marines don't (yet?) have a minimap in the corner of the screen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The commander's orders should be more visible and clear for players so they really get the message "this is an order from your commander do it now!" and similarly the commander should be encouraged to make squads and give orders.
    <!--quoteo(post=1848623:date=May 26 2011, 09:18 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ May 26 2011, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848623"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The commander's orders should be more visible and clear for players so they really get the message "this is an order from your commander do it now!" and similarly the commander should be encouraged to make squads and give orders.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was giving my marines orders but they didn't listen to me. I had to say "What the hell are you doing? Please follow me orders for gods sake..."

Then they started to do as I said... That didn't last long though...
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    edited May 2011
    I think once the game gets fleshed out more, this will not be such a large problem. In NS1, when playing in a 16 to 24 person server its hard to rambo into alien territory without getting spotted and ganked quickly. With the new DI hive sight connection it will be even harder. Right now there just isn't large servers and area control isn't as clearly fleshed out as it was in NS1.

Still, it does need more streamlining though. There is number of problems right now. For marines on the ground, it isn't clear what squad you're in or when you're actually in one making the importance of squads far less apparent to players. On top of that problem, commanders don't have an easily accessible squad GUI system that makes it easy to select squads and order them around making squads seem not to important to commanders, especially new ones. They need to implement the simplest possible squad system that addresses both these problems while making it easy, maybe even automatic, to join squads. I personally would even be up for some sort of connection bonus since marines are suppose to be super tech savy. I'd imagine they would have systems that automatically share important information between squad mates in their suits and visors. I don't know what the bonus would be exactly. Maybe as long as a marine see's an alien, it shows up for on his squad mates vision too, even through walls and objects. So as long as one marine in the squad continually has visual contact with the threat all the marines in that squad can see it. I think damage and armor bonuses are nonintuitive and nonsensical where enhanced field and combat information makes a lot more sense.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1848630:date=May 26 2011, 09:08 PM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ May 26 2011, 09:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was giving my marines orders but they didn't listen to me. I had to say "What the hell are you doing? Please follow me orders for gods sake..."

Then they started to do as I said... That didn't last long though...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The awnser to why they didn't obey you, is psycological I believe. Just think about it for a second. Be nice and people will be nice towards you.
    Instead of making people think; "What a ######head we have as a commander"
    Make them think; "Wow, our commander is pretty good. It might be a good idea to follow his orders if we want to win."
    You don't have to be a ###### about it.
  • thundercatzthundercatz Join Date: 2011-05-27 Member: 101095Members
    alien team should have squads too
    <!--quoteo(post=1848719:date=May 27 2011, 09:29 AM:name=thundercatz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thundercatz @ May 27 2011, 09:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->alien team should have squads too<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No.

That would make the Marines and the Kharaa similar and they don't want that.
    They want the sides to be different and <b>Unique.</b>
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    When marines join eachothers' squad, a list of the players names with their weapon, health and armor should pop up in the corner. A little visual feedback of what's going on in your squad: who is joining, getting damaged, check if every squad has a support weapon (flamethrower)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Auto squads are perfect at the moment, but for one flaw. There is no cooling off period.

What needs to happen is this:

We all know that walking near to another player activates the auto squad circling, but it is useless because when you move away that connection is broken.

What should happen is a cool off period + joining a squad automatically assigns you to it for a minimum of 30 seconds.

<b>So for example:</b>

You walk near your friend, you auto join.

If you leave straight away, you have a 30 second (or so) period where you are still attached to that squad.

For every second you spend within the squad, you gain a second that you are still attached to it out of the squad.

So if you die, or walk away, it doesnt automatically break up the squad.

<b>Also:</b>

If you don't want to be in that squad, for every second you spend out of it and near another player/squad it could accelerate the time x2 of leaving the previous squad and joining the new one.

<b>In conclusion:</b>

A system that promotes player freedom, whilst giving the commander easy access to squads that don't break apart every 5 seconds.

It also removes the fuss and needlessness of joining a squad, leaving a squad, assigning players... etc.
    Runteh got it figured out!