Skulk Sticky Code should be ported to Lerk

kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
The title says it all.

The Idea is simple.
All the work they have done (and continue to do) to make the skulk wall walking better and easier...

Should be ported to the Lerk.
The Lerk could then fly into a room and stick to almost anything.

Since the lerk seems to be a fly to this position and rain down spikes or spores this would give it more flexibility in choosing a position.
and moving that position slightly afterward.

This isn't just how I play the lerk it seems to be the standard.

I have never seen a lerk continously flying.
I see it fly a bit and then get pelted (or sniped)

If anyone already suggested this i am sorry...the search sucks...and I don't usually hang in ideas.

Comments

• 98kadd98kadd Join Date: 2011-05-26 Member: 100838Members
    edited May 2011
    Lerks mo is really not to stick to stuff its to fly. So i dont really see the need and if its anything like the skulk it would be horrid. You would not beable to fly away from being superglued to the walls. Lerks are good for general fly bys and taking out thinks with ranges. Some maps are better for lerks then others. As for skulks.

Is it just me or do people not get it? The goal of a skulk isnt to wall walk its to kill. When the wall walking is so forced on you it hinders you from killing. Its a problem. The skulks were fine 20 builds ago and if you dont think so get off pc gaming. It was never hard to walk on a wall just look toward the wall while walking.

The skulks not only cant bite but can not move without getting slowed or pulled by walls or objects.
  • PampelmusePampelmuse Join Date: 2005-04-06 Member: 47641Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848590:date=May 26 2011, 12:57 PM:name=98kadd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (98kadd @ May 26 2011, 12:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it just me or do people not get it? The goal of a skulk isnt to wall walk its to kill. When the wall walking is so forced on you it hinders you from killing. Its a problem. The skulks were fine 20 builds ago and if you dont think so get off pc gaming. It was never hard to walk on a wall just look toward the wall while walking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this almost doesnt even deserve a comment as its just trolling, but still: skulks are designed for ambushing, wall walking and accessing vents and hideouts is viable for being effective, even more in ns2 as skill based bhopping as it was possible in ns1 wont make it in. so getting a marine confused by jumping from wall to wall and attacking from above is very important.

btt:
    some time ago a dev posted some upcoming changes to the lerk: it will be more about mid range combat, fly-by and harassing with short-ranged spikes. their range will be lowered and maybe even the snipe will be adjusted to give the lerk a more active role in combat rather than just sitting in vents.

sticking to walls may seem a cool idea (hanging at the roof like a bat!!1), but will most probably not be considered by UWE as it wont be useful once the gameplay changes are done
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2011
    I agree it could be cool, and it could be useful for sniping and hiding. But it should only apply to cielings/horizontal geomitry. And if you by accident hit the cieling, you should be able to keep holding W and then tapping spacebar a few times to accellerate, while you aim for your (still quick) escape.

It might be a problem in vents though.

Thus I don't know much about lua, it might be easier to make it from scratch then to edit the skulk stickiness.
  • HanneslolHanneslol Join Date: 2011-03-21 Member: 87724Members
    Press control as skulk so you don't get stuck to walls and the problem is gone? :) By the way, I can't wait for the roost feature for the lerks (so you can sit upside down in the ceiling).
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    edited May 2011
    [Edit: Dang you Hannes you beat me to the reply about the roost feature.]

A long time ago they already mentioned they were thinking about something like this for the lerk called roost. Yes, it was suppose to be just like a bat. It would allow lerks to hang from the ceiling in order to get better ambush spots just like the skulk.

I for one am a huge supporter for anything that increases aliens ability to be sneaky and ambush marines, except for the larger life forms. It makes perfect sense. If you have the ambush and you surprise a marine or two, you automatically start the engagement out with an advantage. This is much better than being stuck to the ground and having to try to close a gap between a marine with a long range weapon.

So yes, I would like to see something like this. I don't think it should be a replica of the skulk wall walk because than the lerk would get stuck way to much while trying to fly around. It needs to be more along the original idea of holding down a button in order to activate the lerks roost ability thus allowing him to hang from a roof.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1848665:date=May 26 2011, 05:12 PM:name=l3lessed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (l3lessed @ May 26 2011, 05:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848665"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[Edit: Dang you Hannes you beat me to the reply about the away roost feature.]

A long time ago they already mentioned they were thinking about something like this for the lerk called roost. Yes, it was suppose to be just like a bat. It would allow lerks to hang from the ceiling in order to get better ambush spots just like the skulk.

I for one am a huge supporter for anything that increases aliens ability to be sneaky and ambush marines, except for the larger life forms. It makes perfect sense. If you have the ambush and you surprise a marine or two, you automatically start the engagement out with an advantage. This is much better than being stuck to the ground and having to try to close a gap between a marine with a long range weapon.

So yes, I would like to see something like this. I don't think it should be a replica of the skulk wall walk because than the lerk would get stuck way to much while trying to fly around. It needs to be more along the original idea of holding down a button in order to activate the lerks roost ability thus allowing him to hang from a roof.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.

Fly near a wall and hold ctrl should allow you to stick to it.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1848670:date=May 26 2011, 08:32 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ May 26 2011, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848670"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This.

Fly near a wall and hold ctrl should allow you to stick to it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree and I am the thread opener.
    too much stickiness would hinder overall flight, but the ability to stick multiple places would apply very well to the lerk.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i was anyway wondering why this isnt already in. im actually expecting it from a lerk like creature that it could stick on walls/ceilings and shoot from there. would be cool if you could strafe-fly from wall to wall in a corridor and shoot your spikes.
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1848665:date=May 26 2011, 08:12 PM:name=l3lessed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (l3lessed @ May 26 2011, 08:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848665"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[Edit: Dang you Hannes you beat me to the reply about the roost feature.]

So yes, I would like to see something like this. I don't think it should be a replica of the skulk wall walk because than the lerk would get stuck way to much while trying to fly around. It needs to be more along the original idea of holding down a button in order to activate the lerks roost ability thus allowing him to hang from a roof.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sexy
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited June 2011
    I'd like the ability to wall walk and roost. Press down ctrl on a wall, and you can wall walk on it...albeit at a much slower movement speed than a skulk. Think of it as a bat clinging on cave wall and awkwardly moving around. On the ceiling the lerk can roost once it stops moving.