Shaders

kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
Is there anyway to access the shaders that ship with NS2??

I want to mess around with them but I think they are already compiled...

Comments

• Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I second this partial request!

I am looking to add some depth of field effects and object motionblur to NS2 and this would be greatly helpful!
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    Yes, we all love wallhacks and we'd like to write our ones for NS2.
    <!--quoteo(post=1847957:date=May 22 2011, 07:43 PM:name=MOOtant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MOOtant @ May 22 2011, 07:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847957"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, we all love wallhacks and we'd like to write our ones for NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Speak for yourself.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    But easy access to this kind of stuff would make the world for those who build hacks that much easier...
    Hate to break this to you, but that lock on your door will not protect you against someone who is determined to get to you. Forget "picking locks", I'm just talking someone kicking the thing off the frame. Same thing with firewalls.

An individual who really wants to make hacks will find a way to make hacks. So why punish the rest of us who intend to use it for a more productive and honest purpose? The game is intended to be easily/heavily-moddable. The community will need access to these sorts of things in order to fully realize the Engine's potential.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    edited May 2011
    Can't servers just inforce clients to run using standard shaders and shader code? If you try and run anything else, won't it just register as a modification?

I remember tribes 2 was like this, and even though that game was super customizable, it never had a problem with hacking. The server forced clients to run standardized code. Maybe, being technically inept when it comes to this area, I'm wrong.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848672:date=May 27 2011, 02:46 AM:name=l3lessed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (l3lessed @ May 27 2011, 02:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848672"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can't servers just inforce clients to run using standard shaders and shader code? If you try and run anything else, won't it just register as a modification?

I remember tribes 2 was like this, and even though that game was super customizable, it never had a problem with hacking. The server forced clients to run standardized code. Maybe, being technically inept when it comes to this area, I'm wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's difficult to enforce this kind of thing, you can't send the entire game data to the server (several hundred megabytes) and CRCing everything (hashcheck) is pretty slow too, and even if you did hashcheck everything - mod the client to spoof the values and the lock is broken. It's just a matter of if people are dedicated enough to code usable hacks for NS2.

It's pretty easy to cheat the game already (at least, if you're an alien), join the Marines and sell their ######. It's happened to me, we would have won - but they couldn't take that obviously and had to cheat. Made me wonder if it happens in a lot of other games that could be marine victories too.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Have you looked at the lua code that handles 'night vision' for aliens?

Pretty sure thats tweaking shaders.