Q: Animation/Animated surfaces

ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
I know NS2 supports animation through flash (though at a huge performance hit that would make it infeasible to use as I would like to use it). So, I was wondering, is it at all possible to have animated textures on a surface? Or would I need to do some hackish Lua thing...

I can't use flash because it would just lag too much.

Comments

• zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1846897:date=May 17 2011, 05:04 PM:name=Zuriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zuriki @ May 17 2011, 05:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1846897"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know NS2 supports animation through flash (though at a huge performance hit that would make it infeasible to use as I would like to use it). So, I was wondering, is it at all possible to have animated textures on a surface? Or would I need to do some hackish Lua thing...

I can't use flash because it would just lag too much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good question. I must say though, the notion of using flash came as a surprise to me. It's an awesome thing to hear, and I'd suspect the performance hit will wain in the near future. I'd make the textures in flash and hope for a performance fix unless otherwise directed by someone more knowledgeable than myself.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    The render area is simply too big to make using flash practical. Even if the performance hit was reduced (which it won't, because the use of flash is being phased out by UWE), the sheer number of flash surfaces would be incredible. Plus, I believe you need to use a .model file to get flash into the map.

This is why I really need something other than flash
    So nobody has any ideas?
  • UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    I'll check this out when I get out of work later tonight. Hopefully, I'll get somewhere with this :D
    Thanks, I would really appreciate NS2 devs to comment though, because I couldn't find any information on anything pertaining to animated textures or integrating flash into objects/geometry.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    It is my understanding that flash is going to be completely removed from NS2 at some point in the future (before 1.0). So, I wouldn't invest too much time into that.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    We all need our lightning tubes : )

And water reflecting walls :)

Oh, and blinking lights on computers.

And maybe some fancy stuff for the inevitable leisure room.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848596:date=May 26 2011, 11:11 AM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ May 26 2011, 11:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848596"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is my understanding that flash is going to be completely removed from NS2 at some point in the future (before 1.0). So, I wouldn't invest too much time into that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The .bik or bink video would be ideal for this as the format is great for keeping size down while maintaining the quality. Flash can be easily converted too.
    But there is still no success as far as animated surfaces, even if it's in prop form. I am aware flash will be removed, exactly the reason I want to avoid it.