== 1. Natural Selection installation issues. ==
Also known as:
"Setup has not detected a valid Steam installation"

Causes:
1. Steam isn't installed on this PC in a detectable fashion
2. Half-Life isn't installed on this PC

Fixes:
1. Steam isn't installed on this PC in a detectable fashion
Download a fresh copy of Steam from <a href="http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?ar...amnow&cc=GB" target="_blank">http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?ar...amnow&cc=GB</a> , and install as usual. Login to your Steam account, and download a fresh copy of the pre-requisite files for Natural Selection.

2. Half-Life isn't installed on this PC
You need to make sure of 2 things. 1, that you do have Half-Life properly bound to your account and 2, that you have actually downloaded the files for Half-Life, and played through the Training Course AS A BARE MINIMUM.
If you don't own Half-Life (the original version, NOT Half-Life: Source, or Half-Life 2), then you need to go out, and buy yourself a copy of it. It's carried by all good stores that stock video games, and is also carried by all major online retailers. You can also purchase it direct through Steam, using either a credit card (all of the world), or using a PayPal account (except in Germany, at the current moment).
If you do own Half-life, and have bound the CD-Key to your Steam account, then Steam will automatically download the files required to play the game.

Unfortunately, it still hasn't solved my problem.

I have an original HL disc which I used to install the game. Used my own valid CD key from the case. Installed Steam. Got HL running on Steam and even played for a little bit. I went and DLed Natural Selection (my favorite mod from the good old days) and got the message that no valid steam installation was found. When I install the game anyways, it never shows up on Steam and it doesn't even show up in my HL game under custom games. I have no idea how to detect and actually attempt to play the game.

So what am I missing here?

I'm running Windows 7 x64.

Comments

• tschumanntschumann Australia Join Date: 2010-05-26 Member: 71862Members
    Are you playing Half-Life which you downloaded from Steam?
  • Flick MontanaFlick Montana Join Date: 2011-05-03 Member: 96920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1843820:date=May 3 2011, 07:19 PM:name=Flick Montana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flick Montana @ May 3 2011, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have an original HL disc which I used to install the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1843934:date=May 4 2011, 07:51 AM:name=tschumann)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tschumann @ May 4 2011, 07:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843934"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you playing Half-Life which you downloaded from Steam?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. Don't tell me they won't let you use their multiplayer services unless you re-purchase the game from them. :(
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1844123:date=May 5 2011, 12:36 AM:name=Flick Montana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flick Montana @ May 5 2011, 12:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844123"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. Don't tell me they won't let you use their multiplayer services unless you re-purchase the game from them. :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As said in the FAQ, I believe you can use your CDkey on steam to validate and allow you to install the HL Steam version (Add a game...). It's been such a long time ago, since we had to do that (original CD owners)

Also you have to run HL at least once (run hazard course or something) otherwise the NS installation program doesn't work.
  • tschumanntschumann Australia Join Date: 2010-05-26 Member: 71862Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1844123:date=May 5 2011, 10:36 AM:name=Flick Montana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flick Montana @ May 5 2011, 10:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844123"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. Don't tell me they won't let you use their multiplayer services unless you re-purchase the game from them. :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You'll need the Steam version to play on Steam servers, but as Kouji_San said, you can just input your CD key into Steam and get Half-Life that way, assuming no one else has used that CD key before. You'll also get a few other games too.
  • Flick MontanaFlick Montana Join Date: 2011-05-03 Member: 96920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1844213:date=May 5 2011, 11:33 AM:name=tschumann)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tschumann @ May 5 2011, 11:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844213"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You'll need the Steam version to play on Steam servers, but as Kouji_San said, you can just input your CD key into Steam and get Half-Life that way, assuming no one else has used that CD key before. You'll also get a few other games too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now THAT is interesting. I must have missed that in the FAQ. I'll go back and check how to do it.

Thanks!