DI should respect walls in their excistance

Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
edited April 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
-how it is
Tram.
Commander.
Spreeds infestation to alien expantion through wall.
DI connects.
Only one patch to link harvester to hive.
...through a wall...
silly.

-better sollution :
[...]
Spreeds infestation to alien expantion.
Infestation says hi to wall, does not grow through it.
Vain growth out of infestation. (if connection to nearby patch is possible, in range)
Vain uses AI like drifters so seek a path to connect.
Vain growth through vent or hallway.
(only one patch, half of the vain is alien expantion infestation the other hive side)
me is happy.

/argue

Comments

• FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I agree that the infestation should not grow trough walls, but I think its hard to prevent seeing as the di atm is just a circle where the radius is scaled (and I am not sure, but isnt the graphics just a circle image that scales?).

Think we have to wait for a new implementation until it can be fixed in graphics, but atleast in code the structures could run a trace to the center of di and only accept the patch if it hits close enough. It would create more problems than its worth tho, as then any object in the way would cause it to think its not on di, and slight change in map geometry could cause issues as well.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Yeah, something that should be fixed eventually.

The hard part is figuring out dynamically the difference between a real wall and stuff like rails. I haven't messed with the mapper enough to know if there's special flag for stuff like that.
  • rhysjones81rhysjones81 Join Date: 2007-10-05 Member: 62548Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well I think that this is a valid argument, walls should be respected, but vents should also be infestable, so in some cases it could still take shortcuts, just through vents instead. Only problem is that when a vent is infested, when the finished DI is implemented could it effectively block off the vent for further use?

Perhaps rather than an AOE effect DI can be placed by left clicking and dragging the mouse, and this can be done for as long as you want with a value (res cost) which scales up the longer you drag for. This could force the infestation to (roughly) follow a path that the alien commander specifies which as its a human action could vary with every map, making it truly Dynamic!
  • rhysjones81rhysjones81 Join Date: 2007-10-05 Member: 62548Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    An addition to the previous post.

I know we want to keep NS original but The creep tumours in starcraft, these could be built across the level, and when destroyed any infestation they produce will dissapate, DI emanates from them, and roughly follows pathing similar to drifters! The one restraint is that these must be built on infestation, so they can only extend, not become whole new areas themselves.
    This however could be a workaround alongside a gorge who could place infestation down temporarily for a tumour to be built, which can then serve as an expansion, some epic teamplay which could be used to make some mini bases ^^

This could make the destruction of Infestation a little easier for the marines but perhaps force them to still work with the flamethrower (the tumours could be resistant to bullets? Axes beast them as with any other building?)
  • Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    i think those "pustules" or what they are called are the really wrong direction...
    because then it would be ----o----o----o----o----
    and not oooooooooooooo or ----------------------
    got it? the infestation should somehow be totaly merged to a giant piece of alien puke stuff
    and not single patches wich just "connect"
    so (as comm) drawing a line like in paint (lol) wich creates infestation is an insanely epic idea IMO !
    and the longer you hold the curser to one place the bigger the infestation spreads from that point
    .. with this there could also be vains wich could be choped of by swith axe !!!
    and if you cut of a big vain everything on the non-hive side will die !
    this would be pretty complex and yet pretty simple.. damn i love myself (and of course rhysjones81) 4 developing this idea :D
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1842725:date=Apr 27 2011, 11:23 AM:name=Jason ######)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jason ###### @ Apr 27 2011, 11:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1842725"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->/argue<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no argument.