NS2 design decision log

Comments

• TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    love the new ui marine mockup. good stuff. shrink the weapons unlocked box though, it's too much real estate for something i only need to see once.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1884282:date=Nov 8 2011, 02:16 PM:name=aeroripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeroripper @ Nov 8 2011, 02:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It was a lot of fun having skulks boost your gorge into the vent to bile bomb marine PGs, and as a marine, fishing those gorges out with hand grenades. If it is removed from the gorge, he should get another ability that is just as useful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

gorge web.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think trying to aim bile bombs from a structure as the commander is going to be extremely frustrating. With a top-down perspective there's no way for you to judge trajectory except by trial and error and map memorization. Even just determining straight line of sight from the structure to a point on the ground can be problematic. If you guys have your hearts set on an active siege ability, I would really recommend you come up with something indirect like the ARC, or something that can use pathfinding code like babblers.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Looking at the UI mockup my initial impression is quite good.

The boxes around the top left messages as well as the flame thrower notifications are my biggest dislikes. This could just be that I think that killing the box background and border makes things more compact as well as obscuring the view less

It would be an interesting idea to try out moving more data to the area already covered by the view model.

This thought led me to the fact that the bullet-o-meter is already in the view model, perhaps a similar integration for the jetpack fuel, perhaps an indicator of some time on the arm. Maybe wrist watch, which could also show game time.

Someone else mentioned the possibility of ui customisation, it seems a good idea. Particularly, if it was possible in game, have each element have a few sizes, to allow them to be swapped. To use an example, the minimap can be a really helpful thing but some times when you are in a room hunting a skulk you want to hide it. other times though when you are building rts on the far side of the map trying to watch for a counter attack in the hive. a System that allows both states would be helpful both for people at low resolutions and for some one who wanted to maximise real estate.

After all that i guess i ought to just do a quick wire frame of it all
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    2 things about the latest updates:

-i enjoy multiple commanding: is useful and prevent those annoying "GET OUT OF THE CHAIR, NOOB". You see.
    -I like bile bomb gorge rushes: taking out this from gorge will make it even less useful. Also, keep teams different, structura dmg on marines is already done via a structure "arc".
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    I didn't think about deployed ARCs taking out whips as they got close. Oops.

Maybe it's better to differentiate bile bomb and bombard. Thinking.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    edited November 2011
    Not a good move removing bile bomb from the gorge its a tried and true mechanic which is really fun and promotes team play...

If the whip simply isn't working as a structure get rid of it! Don't destroy the core aspects of NS game play in and attempt to fix it....
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1884325:date=Nov 9 2011, 09:59 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Nov 9 2011, 09:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884325"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I didn't think about deployed ARCs taking out whips as they got close. Oops.

Maybe it's better to differentiate bile bomb and bombard. Thinking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->How about this..

Whips in nature are more defensive hive structures so maybe they can have an Umbra like effect which protects structures from the ARC?

Along with the grenade knock back it would become a very important part of the alien hive defence making it a strategic target for marines to kill to successfully take a hive.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884327:date=Nov 8 2011, 11:02 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Nov 8 2011, 11:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884327"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about this..

Whips in nature are more defensive hive structures so maybe they can have an Umbra like effect which protects structures from the ARC?

Along with the grenade knock back it would become a very important part of the alien hive defence making it a strategic target for marines to kill to successfully take a hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

An Umbra cloud in a thing that looks like a whip seems a bit weird-looking to me
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    How about an ability that allows the Whip to retract into its infestation (it is immobile), which either adds resistance to structure specific damage or cannot be targeted by ARC entirely?

You can even go further with the idea by making it a passive ability, so the Whips only spring forth when a Marine is in range of attack.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Hmm, kinda glad to hear multiple comms are going, the idea isn't bad but the current implementation really didn't work, if you do revisit it, it has to be something other than two comms trying to control the team. Giving squad leaders access to a commander-like view around their local area would be better I think, or letting them drop structures with their personal res or something.

I think if you want to make gorges work better, you should give them more stuff to build. Hydras are good but you can only do so much with them. Things like being able to build a small healing chamber, energy recharge boosters (over and above infestation) and maybe some physical obstructions, that'd flesh them out a lot more, and make their building role much more valuable.

If you want them more combat oriented, more support abilities would be preferable, if you added webs back and let gorges spit them directly at marines to slow them down a bit, that'd be a useful thing to have, as would area-effect heals or umbra effects, which could also be used to enhance gorge defensive emplacements.

Turn gorges into clerics basically.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    I think gorges do need to have a decent number of 'spells' like web and bile and heal. Perhaps bile could be reformulated as a mini-cyst bomb. Cory recently mentioned being able to cast different structures for easier placement. So have whips with bombard (improved bile-bomb), but give gorges minicysts that can be thrown. The ability to place a minicyst at a distance will be very useful in attacking turtled marines.
  • SteinhauerSteinhauer Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72493Members
    Screw HUD minimalism, sci-fi demands wicked HUDs! And that mockup is pretty wicked!
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    On the subject of balance between showing marines what they need to see vs not cluttering the UI, perhaps a 'tech tree' view could be implemented? So much like pressing a key to bring up the map, you can press a key to bring up your side's tech progress, showing a tech tree with various icons representing the things that can be researched, showing both things complete, available, and currently researching. Could also provide details such as current number of resource nodes owned, macs built, etc.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I like the proposed HUD improvements.
    I love seeing resources in the hud.
    I love seeing the commander
    I love seeing current location + game timer

Comments
    1) Maybe show just a bit of the map...that way the whole map is still a key.
    2) Minimize the flamethrower unlocked popup...I realize it is not constant but that is alot of real estate.

Not sure what the thing in bottom right is.
    The final version is worth a blog post.

I do not like gorge losing bile bomb.
    I personally would like to see the gorge build more than hydras and cysts.
    Like res nodes.
    It would be nice as commander to see 'ah already capped...thank you lieutenant'

Keep cranking guys.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Silly idea regarding Bile Bomb: What if a Gorge can arm a Whip with a Bile Bomb (Mature Whip's Bombard bomb has more splash and damage) by throwing up in the Whip's general direction?

It sorta plays on the interaction of projectiles for the Whip (whacking away grenades, launching bile bombs...)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2011
    love the new UI, only suggestion:

put death messages on the top right. (switch with the map if you have to)
    death messages belong on the top right of FPS games.. its just been standard for so long.

add a little transparency and boom, you guys have a sweet, sexy UI
    (does this mean aliens get an upgraded "organic/infested" hud?)
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1884358:date=Nov 9 2011, 03:34 AM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Nov 9 2011, 03:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884358"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) Maybe show just a bit of the map...that way the whole map is still a key.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, the HUD minimap would only show a closeup of the area that you currently in, the same way NS1 did it. We just grabbed the whole map when working on the mockup because it was done very quickly.
    <!--quoteo(post=1884358:date=Nov 9 2011, 03:34 AM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Nov 9 2011, 03:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884358"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2) Minimize the flamethrower unlocked popup...I realize it is not constant but that is alot of real estate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, that can probably go down in size a bit. Very easy to resize the various elements
    <!--quoteo(post=1884358:date=Nov 9 2011, 03:34 AM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Nov 9 2011, 03:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884358"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not sure what the thing in bottom right is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That is the stand in graphic for the jetpack fuel. So, that usually won't be on the HUD

--Cory
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2011
    Changes in layout that i think would make it better.

<a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12784365/marineH2.jpg" target="_blank">http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12784365/marineH2.jpg</a>
    (Only the stuff that you see most of the time, rest in text form - to know if it still feels good if not every ui element is there)

Minimap top left, deathmsgs top right...
    pretty standard among the fps games with the biggest userbases out there... (like CS)
    Why try to change that? - ppl will feel at home with this layout.

Location text over minimap - so you dont have to look up and down to know where you are and what name it has. Also its at the same height as the Deathmsgs, and the minimap box is the same size and height as the recent researches. (or whatever this is - this could be done smaller and not as distracting like only having little icons like tech and armor tier on the right side with timers in it btw)
    Since we got not much space, bot left is best for hp and chat, upgrades to the right is also fine i guess.
    Commander text - why would i need to see that all the time...? - his name is commander for me anyways.
    Tres/pres and gametime could switch position.
    New pres stuff can stay relative big, so ppl dont miss it (it will be transparent and fade out in 3-4s anyway)

edit:
    <a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12784365/armo.png" target="_blank">http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12784365/armo.png</a>

changes on the armor bar - so players get a better feeling how much armor they have/ how the upgrades affect them etc. A full bar (matching the size of the hp) would be 100 armor.
    On exo you could either add some smaller bars below the armor bar, expand it, or make overlay bars in other colors that also reflect up to 100 armor each...
    color x = 100 color y=101-200 color z=201-300 if z goes down background is y, if y goes down background is x, if x goes down background is invisible.

edit2: problem, players dont know if they have full armor with this... so a background or border would be needed that shows maximum :/
  • MrGreenMrGreen Join Date: 2010-12-10 Member: 75602Members
    Just one more thing I wish I could see on the HUD which I'm surprised no one has suggested:

res nodes and tech points.

If you just had a series of dots on the side, each dot representing a res node with the colour of the team (or white for unbuilt).
    It would provide an easy way to know how well your team is doing.

This might be difficult since it would be map specific.
    It also might give too much information on the other team's res nodes, so you might have to make it enemy agnostic.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Aaand one more on the HUD is that you should consider the Squads in this mock-up.
    Otherwise if it's implemented down the road I have this feeling you would have to redo the UI again.
  • Ender_74Ender_74 Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79329Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Design task Remove multiple commanders has appeared with status Unstarted<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A small remark about the multiple commanders thing. I would not mind seeing it disappear except for a few things:
    - It can be useful for the alien commander to have another player jump into the newly built hive to get the drifters. Having to exit the hive, to let the other player in, is going to be painful and will make you loose time that can be precious. If the hive is under attack you sometimes wants to build crags quickly or to save your drifters.
    Should the three drifters spawn automatically ?
    Should the first drifter research provide 3 instead of 1 ? (so you can time their creation)
    - As for the marines it is sometimes useful to be two to spam medpacks more efficiently, or while relocating.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I didn't think about deployed ARCs taking out whips as they got close. Oops.
    Maybe it's better to differentiate bile bomb and bombard. Thinking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was sad to hear that the Gorge would loose bilebomb as he was the only alien that could break stalemates by taking down structures when ARCs are deployed in the base to defend. Besides, some players think that the playing gorge is no longer interesting, removing abilities from him won't help that feeling. I do understand that you have awesome things planned for him though. Make sure to keep us posted on your thoughts on the matter :)
  • HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1884306:date=Nov 8 2011, 11:38 PM:name=Destroid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destroid @ Nov 8 2011, 11:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is the health/armour display prototype intended to wiggle around like that? I find moving HUDs like in Crysis 2 pretty distracting and annoying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I loved the HUD in Crysis 2 ^^ Just looks like some helmet display which is kinda natural in that way and not so static. But ofc it should be very subtle maybe only strong shaking while sprinting, doing a high fall on the ground or getting heavy damage etc.
  • WizardHUNWizardHUN Join Date: 2011-10-23 Member: 128903Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884316:date=Nov 8 2011, 11:02 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Nov 8 2011, 11:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884316"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->gorge web.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

gorge web:)
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1884366:date=Nov 9 2011, 06:33 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Nov 9 2011, 06:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->put death messages on the top right. (switch with the map if you have to)
    death messages belong on the top right of FPS games.. its just been standard for so long.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1884377:date=Nov 9 2011, 08:51 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Nov 9 2011, 08:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884377"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12784365/marineH2.jpg" target="_blank">http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12784365/marineH2.jpg</a>
    (Only the stuff that you see most of the time, rest in text form - to know if it still feels good if not every ui element is there)

pretty standard among the fps games with the biggest userbases out there... (like CS)
    Why try to change that? - ppl will feel at home with this layout.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed, I'd prefer the death messages on the right and the map on the left. I noticed this immediately on UWE's mock-up.

Actually I prefer Koruyo's layout.
    Map and location belong together, so it makes sense to put them close to each other and not in opposite corners.
    Not sure if the game timer needs to be visible at all times, it might suffice having it on the scoreboard.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884337:date=Nov 8 2011, 07:02 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 8 2011, 07:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884337"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The whip was actually designed around the bombard feature, and the melee aspect was added later. Basically, when the whip has been upgraded to a mature whip, it would form a ball of acidic goo, that it then throws at marine structures. The ball explodes on impact and does a lot of splash damage over a large area.

This is the initial concept and render of the whip with the ball.

[attachment=36022:WhipBombard.jpg]

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->When I'm reading this original idea to have ability to bombard and do splash damage I got and idea and this is my proposal:

- ARCs (as marine structure) to do areal damage against structures.
    - Marines (as players) got grenades to do splash DMG also against alien lifeforms and structures.

What about to have in khaa site:
    - Gorge (as life-form) will stay with bilebomb to do areal damage only against structures.
    - Whips will do physical damage / upgraded whip will bombard (areal damage) against marines (players).

there are similarities (to be easy understandable) .. but it will be flipped between who have these ability (flipped between structure and life-form)

one sentence summary:
    please don't touch gorges bilebomb as its great ability and have reason here, and
    give upgraded whips a bombard ability not against structures, but only against marines.

EDIT:
    - ARC cost 20 tres - Upgraded whip also cost 20tres in sum
    - ARC must be deplayed when want to fire - Whip must root to be usefull

EDIT2: you can upgrade cost of bilebomb evolve to i.e. 10pres to be similar to grenades (which cost 25pres because can hurt also aliens)
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1884377:date=Nov 9 2011, 08:51 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Nov 9 2011, 08:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884377"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Changes in layout that i think would make it better.

<a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12784365/marineH2.jpg" target="_blank">http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12784365/marineH2.jpg</a>

Why try to change that? - ppl will feel at home with this layout.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I will have to agree with Koruyo on this one, I like his mockup of the positions alot better. Feels alot more natural. Natural Selection?
    And please make the minimap transparent! No one wants a square of their screen, where they can't see anything :P
  • HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1884405:date=Nov 9 2011, 03:00 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Nov 9 2011, 03:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884405"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And please make the minimap transparent! No one wants a square of their screen, where they can't see anything :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, everything should be semitransparent because as far as I know it's a projection on the "glass" a marine has before his eyes, right?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1884390:date=Nov 9 2011, 11:33 AM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Nov 9 2011, 11:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884390"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not sure if the game timer needs to be visible at all times, it might suffice having it on the scoreboard.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I quite like having it there as long as it can be done in a non-obstructive way. It's not that hard to time things like hive drops to the exact second in NS1, so I could see myself looking at the game time even in tense situations where you don't necessarily want to bring out the scoreboard.

I think SC2 managed to pull off the game clock quite nicely by sinking it to the minimap frame. Could NS2 do the same?
  • MooseMoose Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16248Members
    Has random spawning been scraped or something? was just looking at the progress tracker page and noticed its gone :(. It was (Accepted) too....

Hopefully this is a mistake.