NS2 Launchpad programs and Linux

SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker</div>Just wanted to post my experiences here.

I recently installed Ubuntu linux on my pc because of some library development and on a whim I just installed Wine, STEAM and then NS2 even though I already knew it wouldn't work.

Imagine my suprise when I found out that everything in Launch Pad almost sorta kinda works, except for the actual game and editor.
I can launch the Viewer, the Cinematic Editor, the Builder and Decoda =D
There are crashes and graphical anomalies galore but it seems not unlikely that that could be ironed out fairly easy.

Does anyone have any idea what would be needed for the whole suite (including game) to run? I realize that running in emulation (well, compatibility layer) gives a performance-hit and I don't mean run well, just run.

Comments

• MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    Wait for release. If you give NS2 as is to Wine devs they'll reject bugs because they can't be debugging both Wine and NS2.

I'd first check if released, stable games using the same middleware that NS2 uses (fmod, havok/physx, steamworks, cuda) work on Linux.

Ideally, given access to C++ layer and someone with Wine experience you'd be able to fix bugs relatively quickly. But that's just me being optimistic because I don't know what exactly can go wrong. As far as I know NS2 uses DX9 which is quite stable in Wine.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    The Spark editor includes a "mini" or "outdated" version of the Spark engine, so if you can't run the game I'm unsurprised you can't run the editor.

It's promising you've got some feedback as the game isn;t optimised for linux though :)
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    I thought it pretty promising, too! That is why I wanted to post my find here. I couldn't program or code my way out of a wet paper bag so I will leave that to the real nerds =)