NS2 - Crash on load (before main menu)

HeistHeist Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7922Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Please Help</div>
Was hoping someone could help me. I moved my steam installation to another drive (per the instructions from steam). The client re-downloaded natural selection 2 and now I am unable to start the game. Each time I start loading, I get stuck on the NS2 Build ### (currently 172) and I am unable to reach the main menu. If I alt-tab out, I get a debug report that states the following:

Date: 04/16/11
Time: 11:52:02
--------------------------------------------------------------
Build 172
Starting Natural Selection 2
RenderDevice: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (8.14.10.716)
Error: Sound 'materials/door/onos_step' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/onos_step' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/footstep_left' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/footstep_right' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'alien/fade/land' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'alien/onos/land' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'marine/structure/arc/deploy' couldn't be loaded (An invalid parameter was passed to this function. )
Error: Sound 'materials/door/bash' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/bash' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'alien/healing_mound_heal' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'alien/skulk/bite_hit_electronic' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'materials/door/spikes_ricochet' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/spikes_ricochet' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'materials/metal/spikes_ricochet' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'materials/organic/spikes_ricochet' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'materials/rock/spikes_ricochet' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'materials/thin_metal/spikes_ricochet' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'alien/voiceovers/upgrade_complete' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'alien/voiceovers/research_complete' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)

I also get a minidump file but I am unable to open it. I have tried deleting local content and starting again but I just get the same problem. Any suggestions?

Comments

• MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    Im getting this crash as well now.
  • craecrae Join Date: 2005-01-30 Member: 39035Members
    edited April 2011
    Not sure what a minidump file is (what is the file name and extension?) but opening and examining this file would be the first thing I would do. If it won't open, it probably means it's locked by the file-system. You could try opening it with Notepad.exe or try a copy-paste and open the pasted file. If that doesn't work, reboot (clears all file-locks) and then try opening it. Running NS2 will probably lock it again (if a file-lock is the reason you can't open it).

You could also look in here and see if there is anything more helpful about what's going wrong:
    I'm running Win XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[XP user name]\Application Data\Natural Selection 2\
    I'm running Win 7: C:\Documents and Settings\[Win7 user name]\Roaming\Application Data\Natural Selection 2 (thanks Scardy)

The 'Event not found' errors should be OK, everyone gets those. Look for anything else & post it up here if you're still stuck.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Those are standard error files that everyone gets and shouldn't be causing any problems. Try looking for a file called Log.txt located at 'C:\Users\[Your WinXP/Win7 Username]\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2'. This is the file that outputs everything from your console and may contain some important errors not listed in your debug report.

Also, how long did you wait before you alt-tabbed out of the NS2 window? If your second drive is much slower/larger than your first, it might take a lot longer to load and the alt-tabbing in the middle of the process might be causing the crash. Can you try running it in windowed mode and see if you get the same crashing problems?
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    Yeah everyone gets those errors, it is just because those things aren't implemented yet, like the Onos and so on.

I can only suggest leaving it for about 2 minutes just incase it is because you alt-tab as soon as you see the error sound things.
    What happens for me is it will load fine right up until the point where you can start clicking the menu, then the graphics corrupts fast and the game freezes, this has only happened since moving steam to another drive after a fresh OS install, any idea how to fix?
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Reinstall directX?
    edited April 2011
    Not sure why but it seems to be working now and all i did was restart the pc.
  • HeistHeist Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7922Members
    I got it to work. Thank you for your suggestions. I actually did just about everything that was suggested. I reinstalled steam, direct x 11, and NS2. Not sure which one actually fixed it.
  • freaktonefreaktone Join Date: 2011-04-19 Member: 94397Members, Reinforced - Silver
    I've continually had this issues since 172:

<i>Date: 04/19/11
    Time: 21:37:45
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Build 172
    Starting Natural Selection 2
    RenderDevice: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 (8.17.12.6658)
    Error: Sound 'materials/door/onos_step' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/onos_step' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/footstep_left' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/footstep_right' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'alien/fade/land' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'alien/onos/land' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'marine/structure/arc/deploy' couldn't be loaded (An invalid parameter was passed to this function. )
    Error: Sound 'materials/door/bash' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/bash' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'alien/healing_mound_heal' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'alien/skulk/bite_hit_electronic' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/door/spikes_ricochet' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/spikes_ricochet' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/metal/spikes_ricochet' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/organic/spikes_ricochet' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/rock/spikes_ricochet' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/thin_metal/spikes_ricochet' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'alien/voiceovers/upgrade_complete' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'alien/voiceovers/research_complete' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    ID3DXEffect::EndPass (Invalid call)
    ID3DXEffect::BeginPass failed (Invalid call)</i>

I defently think this is a directx issue, something to do with the ID3DXEffect order of events?

<a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ie/library/bb205823(v=VS.85).aspx" target="_blank">http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ie/library/bb...3(v=VS.85).aspx</a>
  • freaktonefreaktone Join Date: 2011-04-19 Member: 94397Members, Reinforced - Silver
    actually might be something to do with cinematics/main_menu.cinematic ?

commenting this out of MainMenu.lua>MainMenu_Loaded() allows my client to consistently load correctly in debug - with out the shiny background :/
  • MyBallsMyBalls Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72423Members
    I had the same issue it seems after you actually click submit on the bug report it goes back to working or if you click on the options tab really fast when you join those two things have fixed mine somewhat...

What will happen is I will play a game great until the round ends then all of a sudden it crashes straight black I force close the process with ctrl + alt + delete and then try-relaunch and it starts to do the above mentioned never happened to me until 172 as well.

Didn't work for me
    -------------------------
    Reinstall directx from the ns2 redist folder
    Install the physx engine (even tho I have an ati card (5870)

What did seem to work for me
    -------------------------
    Closing as many process before the launch of the game as possible
    Submitting the error
    Clicking on options as soon as I enter the launch of the game.

Just fyi.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Have ago at disableing the steam community in game overlay in steam options, I find a couple of my games hate the overlay exe service that runs in the background.