NS2 Build 171 is downloaded. Only 62.1 MB. Wtf

yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
<div class="IPBDescription">:)</div>Yayy.

New upgrade with a small pack. wtf is that.

Comments

• EddieEddie Join Date: 2004-10-22 Member: 32412Members, Constellation
    Not that I know much about how this works... but wouldn't an update involving simply bug fixes be smaller than let's say, added features/models?
  • AssassinTeddyAssassinTeddy Join Date: 2010-10-31 Member: 74694Members
    oo just noticed that too :D

I'm fine with a small patch, looks like well see big things once the integrations done and the improvements can come quicker
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    It could be an old update part lost in the Steam Cloud or an old update part redownloaded.
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    It is 171.

We will post patch notes tomorrow morning.

Mostly bug fixes but some other stuff too.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    edited April 2011
    Is anyone else getting black screen after the map loads? I've tried on multiple servers (including the UW server) and I get this every time. I had to kill the process in Task Manager to get back to desktop.

ETA: Obviously I'm talking about the 171 update. I've also verified the game cache and everything was good.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    I got the same thing when trying to join servers so i updated my dedi box and joined it with no issues. Strange thing is that it showed as an internet and a LAN server and i could join both (yes my blade is on my local network).
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    edited April 2011
    <strike>Aww. My NS2 is b0rked. Loads to black screen after 171. Menu-scene is fine, tho.</strike>

Scratch that, was just loading slower. Patience is key!
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I can load fine into my own dedi server but as a i watch the console i see people connecting and "quit" entries but, while in game i see no physical view model in my client console or scoreboard entry for those i see join in the server console.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Same problem here to with the black screen.
  • EnceladusEnceladus Join Date: 2004-01-18 Member: 25442Members
    Black screen only seems to appear on some servers (e.g. UWE Server), not on every. Just try another
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    I dare say some of the new Lua improvements might have found their way in. The infamous stuttering _appears_ to have been decreased, instead of periodic big hitches, there are now a few tiny ones (again, judging from just a few mins of play, could be in error here). On top of that I think the behaviour of Lua has changed, for example the __init-constructor doesn't seem to work anymore, thereby completely breaking overmind. Some odd things going on... Suppose I'll just wait and see what UWE's response is.
    Managed to get on a server..

Only had a tick rate of 15 but the game was actually pretty smooth! Frame rate about the same as before but much smoother feeling!
  • FilterHeadzFilterHeadz Join Date: 2008-04-28 Member: 64177Members
    <b></b>Ye it does feel better and i only checked on a 120 ping server , which reminds me ... WE NEED MORE EU servers pls..
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    You have a point with that. Where are all the servers? Still downloading the build or?
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    Server hosts need to update the server manually afaik, server list should be bigger in the next few days, as more admins realize that there is a new patch.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    I am still battling the hldsupdatetool monster.
    Failed to connect to any GeneralDirectoryServer, WinSock Error 0 "No error"
  • falcfalc Join Date: 2011-03-18 Member: 87128Members
    Just updated my bird's nest to build 171 and was able to join the server. Though the loading process seems to be a bit longer, and the screen stays black after the loading progress disappeared, but it still started up after ~ 30 seconds "black screen" without crashing (could also be caused by the limited power of my laptop and not by the new build).

From the server Point of View, it seems that mostly the same lua-files have been updated that were also affected by the target optimization changes by matso. So perhaps we see a little improvement in that area, but i just checked the change-dates of the files not the code changes ... we'll see with the release of the patch notes. :D
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    edited April 2011
    I miss your server Endar! Hope you get it figured out soon.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Size isn't everything.

This update is a much better improvement than some of the last updates, one of which I remember being 500MB.
    I want to play so bad but doesn't seem to be anyone on??

I'm guessing everyone is having connection problems?
  • PhYzorPhYzor Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22005Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2011
    my game is already 170, i can't download 171 by steam :-/ why ?

EDIT : after some minutes i download :)
  • PhYzorPhYzor Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22005Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    about the black screen, i have restart my steam and it's ok after that
  • falcfalc Join Date: 2011-03-18 Member: 87128Members
    edited April 2011
    I tried build 171 on my pc at home after i updated and tested the server this morning with my laptop, which worked. Now, a couple hours later, i had the black screen issue on my server as well - connect, and then nothing. I tried a couple of things on the client side, but nothing seemed to help. Then i restarted the server just to be sure, and that worked - the client could connect normally.

The new build seems to introduce a strange new problem to the server which occurs a while after the server is started (and idle?).
  • marsvinmarsvin Join Date: 2011-03-22 Member: 87920Members
    edited April 2011
    I'm also seeing the black screen on connect after "preprocessing world" is done. The screen turns black but does still show "Build 171, press F1..." in the top left of the screen.

Restarting Steam had no effect nor did validating the game files.

However when starting a LAN game everything seems to be fine, I can join, walk around, everything.
    try an other server
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1840795:date=Apr 13 2011, 04:56 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Apr 13 2011, 04:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840795"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Server hosts need to update the server manually afaik, server list should be bigger in the next few days, as more admins realize that there is a new patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Server hosts have two options:
    1) Watch Steam 24/7 to catch it downloading NS2 updates
    2) Wait for the (very delayed) tweets saying there is an update

It would be nice if were told something like "You can expect build 171 within the next day", so we could actually be watching for the update.
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1840781:date=Apr 13 2011, 01:17 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Apr 13 2011, 01:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840781"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->__init-constructor doesn't seem to work anymore<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, that hasn't been implemented yet in the new binding layer. We were talking about implementing something similar. I think we were going to called it __constructor.

Sorry, we don't really use __init so I guess it just slipped our minds :(

I'll add it to our list.

If somebody can provide more information on these black screen problems that would be great. Please check your log after this happens. Any consistent way to recreate it?

Thanks
  • marsvinmarsvin Join Date: 2011-03-22 Member: 87920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1840848:date=Apr 13 2011, 07:50 PM:name=PhYzor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhYzor @ Apr 13 2011, 07:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->try an other server<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh servers haven't been updated yet I guess.. You're right after trying several servers I got into one that worked.

Did notice another minor issue though, when changing resolutions in the video options have to restart the game for it to take effect now. It used to change soon as I left the video options. Not sure if that's intentional.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited April 2011
    Those 62.1mb ruined NS2 for me. It is now unplayable.
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I came up with this to recreated the __init behavior

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->local oldclass = class

function class(classname)
      local stage2 = oldclass(classname)

local mt = getmetatable(_G[classname])
      local call = mt.__call

mt.__call = function(rep,...)
        local obj = call(rep)
        if(obj.__init) then
          obj:__init(...)
        end
       return obj
      end

return stage2