Ping on alt tab different from net_stats ping?

GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
I just noticed today my ping when pressing alt-tab is alot lower then when I type net_stats.
I had 200 on the server list and 200 when I presed alt tab, however in net_stats I had 350-400.

Considering the amount of connection problems I was getting on that server, I suspect that the net_stats was closer to the real value.

Can anyone explain this?

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    I believe the net_stats takes into account the Server's tick rate, which effectively adds to your ping. If the server is running at a tick rate of 30, than your basically adding an additional 30ms to your baseline ping. So, take into account the low tick rates most servers have when running 8+ player games, and it adds up quickly.

Then again, I could be completely wrong about net_stats.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I remember one of the UWE devs mentioning that one was the ping of the client to server and the other was the ping of server to client. I believe the scoreboard ping is client-view of the ping rate (i.e. the online game standard) while the net_stats ping is the server-view of the ping, which takes into account the server rate. I think the net_stats ping is the more relevant one currently since the performance bottleneck is server-side rather than client-side.