Nintendo 3ds

FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
<div class="IPBDescription">The new portable gaming console - with an analogue thumbstick!</div>So who bought it? I did and its awesome, I love the AR tech!!!

I had a bit bad luck tho, as the one I bought was unresponsive, so I got stuck already at choosing language, but a quick trip back to Game (a store) solved that (they gave me a new one), so kudos to them!

I got a slight issue with my eyes, making my brain not use the input from my left eye as much, making the 3d less noticeable at times, but while flying in pilotwings I noticed how the 3d immediatelly snapped to perfect crystal clear awesome vision while I was flying at street level in the city. Also happened at other times, such as when I was hanggliding the 3d was easily visible on the character (loved the wobbly legs btw).
So even with vision errors, the 3d was neat, altough there is the problem of "aaaah, im crashing, must turn!!! *turns console aswell, making the 3d fail because of bad angle* "NOOO the 3d disappered, I lost my depth vision, where the heck am I? D:"

So, what do you guys think?

Also, the 3d photos looked as if I was looking into a diorama, and if stuff went rly close to the screen it was somewhat as if they pointed out (not much tho, but quite visible on main menu where there is 2 pens rotating something I forgot). So thats awesome aswell xD

Comments

• ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    I heard the screen is tiny ;o
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E1wU7iBHXz0"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E1wU7iBHXz0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

I want to get my hands on one to try out before I buy one.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    edited March 2011
    Awesome vid! To bad they didnt show off the games with that last card tho, only the posing. The 3ds can do some pretty awesome stuff like transform the surface into a 3d landscape, bending, flowing and stuff. Fishing on that square would awould probably also have looked funny XD.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    edited March 2011
    Been having a lot of fun with this so far. 3D works really well (though I keep the slider at half-way as full on is too much) and I've spent almost more time messing with the stuff on the 3DS than with the games I got with it (Street Fighter and Nintendogs + cats: Golden Retriever)

I've noticed the Miis have more hair and stuff to choose from, but on the flip-side they've toned down how crazy you can go with the positions and sizes of the various face parts I think. Still pretty good though.

Face Raiders is fun, I've got a snap of my senior at work in there to shoot in the face :p

My only real concern so far is that moving and the 3D don't quite go hand in hand. The HOME, START and SELECT buttons are also a bit rubbish but... ~shrug~

Overall I'm fairly happy with it and I've drawn crowds at work of people wanting a shot :3
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1838828:date=Mar 25 2011, 01:19 PM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Mar 25 2011, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838828"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Been having a lot of fun with this so far. 3D works really well (though I keep the slider at half-way as full on is too much)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think it's a matter of the slider being half-way as it only being half-on, and all the way as full. It's just tuning the image for the distance of your eyes from each other and from the screen. If you change how far you are from the screen you're going to have to change the slider. I don't think it's a scale, it's binary. On or off. It's just that when it's on you do need to tune it properly otherwise it will bother you.

I played with the 3DS at GDC. The 3D works decently, the analog nub feels awesome. I'd already have the 3DS in hand (or I would tomorrow, that is) if the launch lineup was actually good... But all the games I want aren't going to be out for several months.

I didn't get to really assess how the games play, but I tried out Kid Icarus and Ocarina of Time. One weird thing... Kid Icarus's flying missions felt really really strange in 3d because you could tell that your avatar was stuck at a certain z distance from the camera... something you'd never notice in 2d. But in 3d, it was unnatural and distracting.
    Fair point.

On a totally random note, I've been using the interwebs to snap pics of famous people for face raiders. It's strangely more fun when you're shooting a smiling hitler face :3

Think I'll add Gandhi Next!
    edited March 2011
    I agree that nintendo should probably have delayed the release a bit, to when they had some awesome games to release. But I must say pilotwings is fun, just wish that the free play mode was free played and not timed... Or maybe thats something I can unlock? *makes another try at getting 3 stars at the "Turbo Jet Finale"*
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Tyler: "Okay, any historical figure."
    Narrator: "I'd fight Ghandi."
    Tyler: "Good answer."
    So I walked through Cambridge town center today and the place was heaving. Kept smiling, thinking to myself "wow I'll get tons of Streetpass hits today!" So on my way home I pop open the 3DS expecting a torrent of new Miis lining up the plaza and how do many do I get? 1? 5? 10? no... zero. Notta. Zilch. What the heck? What's wrong with you Cambridge? I even went into a game store for hecksake XD

I usually get about 7 or more unique streetpass hits at work, more duplicates over the course of the day, but wow. None in town. I wonder how many people carry their 3DS with them and know to leave it in sleep mode with streetpass on :/
    Maybe they're trying to conserve battery power. Or maybe nobody has a 3DS yet.
    Considering you can leave the 3DS in sleep mode for 4 days on a full charge, I don't think power conservation is a good excuse :p

I don't know how many people bought 3DSses but it's sales numbers are pretty epic and I've seen more and more people pick one up at work after seeing it for themselves. I'd be surprised if the same wasn't happening with students in the universities (Cambridge is fairly studenty :3 ) Maybe it's still building up or people don't know/care about streetpassing yet. We'll see :3
    It's possible that they don't know that sleep mode can last that long. For that matter, my mp3 player can stay suspended for about that long, and whenever I do that it is invariably out of batteries the next time I need it.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The best method for getting StreetPass hits seems to be mirroring the behavioral patterns of a pedophile.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • HalfdantimmHalfdantimm Join Date: 2011-04-04 Member: 90622Members
    I've tried it, however, I doubt it'll be any bigger than the DS is already. :)
    If anyone's looking for a decent lauch title for the 3DS, seriously check out Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars.

I picked it up because it's by the guy who made the original x-com games and it reminded me a bit of advance wars. Ended up playing it most of the weekend. It's a really good game and it shows off the 3D pretty nicely too. I'm rather enamoured with it, infact I'd say it's the best of all the launch titles by far :3
    I prefered pilotwings, and I think its strategy gameplay is not as fun as other games I played (such as advanced wars). However, I do agree its prolly the game displaying the 3d the best. Which is kind of silly as its a turn based top-down view strategy game :P.

But I especially remember the dust that came up from a canyon when you first got to play with the sniper. It looked amazing.