Implement "aim down sight"?

2»

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Xcept I dunno what a toma toe is :P
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <a href="http://animezone.webcontenido.com/fotos-imagenes-anime/toma.png" target="_blank">Toma</a>. Questions?
  • garthakgarthak Join Date: 2010-12-31 Member: 76073Members
    Personally, I like aiming down the ironsights (ADI?) in games, brings up immersion for me a bit, but I dont really think it should be in this game, you dont wanna be standin still for too long. and we should defenatly keep this as far away from COD as possible. before you know it, all the marines will be sucking their thumbs in the corner waiting to heal, and I hate that.
  • weeschweeweeschwee Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75031Members
    i wouldn't object to it, but it won't happen and i won't miss it. to me iron sights make the gunplay deeper, but i understand ns elites wanting the game as it is. if aiming down sights was implemented it would be easy to shift the melee button to middle mouse button like so many other games use. also, each weapon could have a melee action. the harder part would be the grenade launcher. maybe it could be another weapon slot like in bad company 2. it would also help prevent players from getting off cheap last minute nade kills. just some thoughts...

however, someone said imagine counter strike with ironsights (in a bad connotation). i would love counterstrike with iron sights!!! counter strike is all about being tactical. sure running inside a room with a shotty like rambo works sometimes, but that's not what cs is about. i think iron sights would be great for any game like counter strike.
  • SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited March 2011
    I like iron sights when they are properly implemented(like Red Orchestra), but don't think they fit in the NS playstyle.
    In Red Orchestra you usually use the iron sights on targets that are 10+ meters away, or when you are holding a position. In NS ranges rarely are anything above 20 meters(but mostly 1-5 meters), so i personally would never use it anyways. In RO, you can hit people at 200-300 meters, and the target not being much more than a couple of pixels on the screen.
    i think iron sights would be useful while aiming at a distant lerk (cuz a lot of the time they hang back) or a fleeing enemy. there would definitely be use for iron sights and i think firing from the hip would still be dominant for experienced players in close quarters. so it could really work. it's like killzone 3. the game has iron sights but many experienced players find the advantage in not using them. interesting really.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1838537:date=Mar 23 2011, 09:05 PM:name=weeschwee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weeschwee @ Mar 23 2011, 09:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838537"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think iron sights would be useful while aiming at a distant lerk (cuz a lot of the time they hang back) or a fleeing enemy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think what you're saying is, you want a scopable weapon.
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837686:date=Mar 18 2011, 03:29 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Mar 18 2011, 03:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is supposed to be a visible laser sight beam effect for when you are in secondary fire mode (the animation has the button on the laser sight being pressed to turn it on). But we just don't have the effect for that yet.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the secondary mode is useless enough as it is at the moment - the fast fire mode is just as accurate. Secondary doesnt need a laser pointer that 1. is kinda pointless since we have crosshairs and 2. reveals where a marine is pointing

Fast-fire mode accuracy nerf?
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    It also deals 30 dmg instead of 20.
    <!--quoteo(post=1838542:date=Mar 23 2011, 04:07 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Mar 23 2011, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think what you're saying is, you want a scopable weapon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

not necessarily but i really wouldn't mind that too. a semi auto scoped weapon could be really fun. maybe it would take two to three good hits to kill a skulk which could prove difficult when a skulk is right on you. it could be useful at long range and passable at short range. but no, i was just talking about how iron sights on any weapon would have their uses.
  • wazups2xwazups2x Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72902Members
    Not every game needs to be COD.

I can just imagine people asking for ADS in TF2.
    ADS would hardly make ns2 cod. lol

you know cod has sprinting too right. gasp! and don't forget hit markers! noooo!
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    Yeah and sprint is a stupid mechanic.
  • BitPonBitPon Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75104Members
    edited March 2011
    I'm generally positive to implementations making NS2 feel more "next-gen" than it's predecessor. ADS however, wouldn't fit ns2 at all since it's more of a twitchy shooter - making it a game with a higher skill-roof. Compare this to CoD which has a very low skill-roof. Yes, I know some people actually accept CoD as an e-sport (and that really blows my mind) and even though we won't know for sure how big NS2 will be in the future, it's pretty important that it remains a skill-based game. IMO that is the only thing UWE really has to bring over from NS1.

And about sprint... I really think sprint is an excellent idea. In the early game it can actually make a huge difference if used correctly but once celerity (skulk speed) makes it's appearance, marines won't be able to rely as much on the ability. This makes games more interesting since celerity might become a good counter against solo-marines looking to do some harass and then run for safety.
  • GrapeVineGrapeVine Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58803Members
    Hasn't this been discussed like 5 times already? and the majority has always been against the idea. Including me. The combat is so fast paced it wouldn't be much of use, and when you want to finish off a fleeing enemy you can use pistol as your"aim down sight".
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Even "mini scope" ADS style aiming like in classic Medal of Honor games wouldn't work because by the time you brought it up, they would have gained some distance on you.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    There's no point anyway since the weapon's point of aim is linked with the HUD.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    ADS sounds like a disease.
  • SpaZSpaZ Join Date: 2003-06-11 Member: 17256Members
    Future marines don't need to aim via crosshair as their targeting system is implemented to their visor hud :)
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1839313:date=Mar 30 2011, 03:25 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Mar 30 2011, 03:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839313"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ADS sounds like a disease.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In German it's short for Deficit Hyperavtivity Disorder, it's short for a scale for messuring depression and it's short for a symptom of dementia.

So: yes ;)