Include location to commander chat

ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
edited February 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">***FOR TEAM CHAT ONLY***</div><!--coloro:#FFFFFF--><span style="color:#FFFFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>SUMMARY</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<ul><li>NOTING location in chat provides a useful location pointer for teammates when highlighting POIs</li><li>FURTHER NOTING the commander location is dictated by the camera location, not the physical location</li><li>INCLUDE commanders location when chatting via team chat (text) based on the location that the commander is <u>looking</u></li></ul>

<!--coloro:#FFFFFF--><span style="color:#FFFFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>BENEFITS</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<ul><li>Allows teammates to identify where the commander is focusing</li><li>Allows the commander to alert teammates of POIs without specifying explicitly a location</li></ul>

<!--coloro:#FFFFFF--><span style="color:#FFFFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>DRAWBACKS</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<ul><li>May cause confusion between footsoldiers and commander when chatting (overcome with "commander icon"? See <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112892" target="_blank">here</a>.)</li><li>May cause confusion between dictated location and location the command is looking if they differ, especially new players
[list]</li><li>EXAMPLE "Commander: Aliens in MS (Repair Room)" - Commander is alerting teammates of aliens in Marine Start, but is viewing Repair Room</li></ul>

<!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro--><i>Please post a </i><!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro--><b>+1</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><i> or </i><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>-1</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><i> in your post, <u>make the vote visible</u>.</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Comments

• ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't know if this is necessary or already implemented..
    But as a commander I would use voicecom anyway
    (okay.. currently not because of the soundbug, but in future games when it is fixed)

Opinion:
    <b>neutral</b>
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited March 2011
    <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Wouldn't the fix to that drawback merely be to put location first in the chat, and bold it or colour it (just generally differentiate it)?
    Example:
    <b>(Repair Room) Commander</b>: <!--coloro:#999999--><span style="color:#999999"><!--/coloro-->Aliens in MS<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<b>Also:</b>
    When someone uses voicechat, display their name (like standard); but also display their location.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1
    <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    All three of your ideas are quite useful. Odds are they will be implanted, but would probably be low on the list of features to implant. Chances are we won't see it until the game is near completion.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1
    <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->