Remove location from chat

ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
<div class="IPBDescription">***FOR THE GLOBAL CHAT***</div><!--coloro:#FFFFFF--><span style="color:#FFFFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>SUMMARY</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<ul><li>NOTING location in chat provides a useful location pointer for teammates when highlighting POIs</li><li>FURTHER NOTING cross-team communication is essential in certain scenarios
<ul><li>FOR EXAMPLE to instruct new players if they require assistance</li></ul></li><li>REMOVE location name from chat in global chat</li></ul>

<!--coloro:#FFFFFF--><span style="color:#FFFFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>BENEFITS</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<ul><li>Does not alert enemies of location</li><li>Does not call for additional code (with exception to perhaps a conditional statement)</li><li>Allows cross-team communication without the drawback of revealing location</li></ul>

<!--coloro:#FFFFFF--><span style="color:#FFFFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>DRAWBACKS</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<ul><li>Requires developer attention</li><li>Defeats the possible original intention of text reflecting verbal communication (sound origin)</li></ul>

<!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro--><i>Please post a </i><!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro--><b>+1</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><i> or </i><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>-1</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><i> in your post, <u>make the vote visible</u>.</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Comments

• ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    I might be wrong but afaik only your teammates can see your location, even it you talk in public chat.
    If this is the case then
    <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->-1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

(besides.. the locationtracker does not work at the moment... if you are in repairroom all chat is tagged with "(repair room)" for instance. The fix for this is on the Pivotal Tracker )
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited March 2011
    I always thought that your location displaying to the other team is just an oversight, and will be fixed in time. A bug, in a sense.

I'm not sure what the suggestion is. Is it to fix that? If so, <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

I don't think it'd take much effort to fix. If it were exposed to lua, a community member could probably fix it in a couple minutes and send in the code. Or the developers could do it themselves. Honestly, it's low priority, along with a whole bunch of other things. They should release a massive collection of low-priority items patch; you add the little changes together and I'd say they're worth the same as a few bigger changes.

Regarding those drawbacks...
    1. ANY SUGGESTION will require developer attention. This is assumed. This must be ignored.
    2. Rofl. Unlikely. That's bad game design.
    Basically, drawbacks do not exist.

Also, great to see you using the formatting! This was a much easier to read post.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

I like it! I like it a lot!