Why we must play in red and dark maps?

yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
<div class="IPBDescription">This power node redlights sometime being boring</div>I think generally I cant see the real colors of maps because of these destroyed power nodes.
And I think i forgot the real one :)

There should be something crazy then these red lights. In example may be it could be only displayed for commanders.

Also first times dark places are being scary and cool but if the map is mostly dark it is being boring.

Do we able to see co-dust like bright maps here ? without dark red lights

Comments

• HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Someone should make a tally of these threads up until release. We should bet on how many will turn up.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    There have been a few threads about the Lights now and most people want them to change.
    I think one of the Devs said that they are currently working on the ONOS before they do the changes that will have an effect on gameplay.

I think we should wait until all of the weapons for the marines are out and all of the Kharaa evolving stages because at the moment we don't really know what to expect.

Yes, we can get ideas into thier heads but you can't expect much right now as these are more of a polishing up kind of part of the game not something that will dramatically change the gameplay for the best/worst.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I don't like that red light aswell, but there are more important things to do.
    I guess in the future mappers will have more control to make the emergency state of an area look better and a bit more diverse than the current implementation.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1835075:date=Feb 26 2011, 11:27 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Feb 26 2011, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess in the future mappers will have more control to make the emergency state of an area look better and a bit more diverse than the current implementation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like that idea.

How would it be done though? Secondary settings allowing us to set a changed light colour and effects (ie. strobing/pulsating/flickering) held on the light, triggered by power node/entity change?
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Yes, that's a good start.
    Being able to change the glowing part of light props would also help; or switching off the glow and put some small, red lights to it that get switched on during emergency mode.
    That's at least my biggest gripe at the moment, red everywhere but no red glowing lights.

Anyway, I guess UWE has some plans on their own how to improve the current effect.
  • zone_Blackwolfzone_Blackwolf Join Date: 2004-06-20 Member: 29415Members
    i already see ns2_disconight -> colorful map with sh*tloads of blinking lights ;)

FOR REAL:
    I agree that the red lights probably gets boring. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a nice yellow-tone in a huge containerroom, and so on..?

It's a very good suggestion: being able to change the "power-off"-color.. (i mean by mappers) (by players in settings? haha :D)
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It would definitely be interesting to use alternate light sources other than eye-burning red (like that of Harimau's avatar picture) coloured lighting in every room. :P

For example, the mapper could opt to use lighting through windows, metal grates, or lights in nearby rooms, or even lights seeping through cracks in the structure.
    Giving the mappers the option to adjust the parameters of emergency lighting could help bring the atmosphere in NS2 to a whole new level.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    Are there red lights that pulse during emergency lighting/backup in Real Life? I don't want to make the comparison of it being unrealistic at all (and to be honest, I'm not really sure, but I really haven't seen red emergency lighting before) because that isn't the point. The point is all emergency lighting has been bright white flood lights. Perhaps a limited number of these (perhaps, part of the Power Node Prop) along with SOME red lighting could produce a decent power outage effect.
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    I think the red light provides excellent atmosphere. Not sure where you guys are coming from.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The map shouldn't be mostly dark unless the marine team is losing. I think commanders don't really know what they're doing yet and rarely repair power nodes.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    The portable power nodes will help.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1835091:date=Feb 26 2011, 03:08 PM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Feb 26 2011, 03:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835091"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would definitely be interesting to use alternate light sources other than eye-burning red (like that of Harimau's avatar picture) coloured lighting in every room. :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The problem with having a lot of different visual looks to the powered off areas is that is that it wouldn't be as consistent and clear to the player what is going on. Currently, walking into an entirely red lit room you instantly recognize that the power is off, and a commander scrolling around the map can see which areas need node repairs.
    <!--quoteo(post=1835087:date=Feb 26 2011, 02:03 PM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Feb 26 2011, 02:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835087"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Being able to change the glowing part of light props would also help; or switching off the glow and put some small, red lights to it that get switched on<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Having rooms entirely red lit and yet still seeing all the lights on does look silly. We do plan on eventually having a way to turn off the lights, either by just turning off their illumination maps, or swapping to a different texture, but that is tech we don't have at the moment. We'd also like to power off other things, like computer screens on environment props.
    <!--quoteo(post=1835113:date=Feb 26 2011, 07:00 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 26 2011, 07:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835113"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The portable power nodes will help.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Currently the plan is that the portable power nodes will have no effect on the lighting, they only power marine structures.

--Cory
  • SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1835119:date=Feb 26 2011, 08:02 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Feb 26 2011, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835119"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Currently the plan is that the portable power nodes will have no effect on the lighting, they only power marine structures.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That actually sounds like a great idea. Doesn't entirely destroy the alien advantage from taking out the node, but isn't as crippling for the marines as a loss of everything they had going for them.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1835119:date=Feb 26 2011, 08:02 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Feb 26 2011, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835119"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem with having a lot of different visual looks to the powered off areas is that is that it wouldn't be as consistent and clear to the player what is going on. Currently, walking into an entirely red lit room you instantly recognize that the power is off, and a commander scrolling around the map can see which areas need node repairs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree that it would require a consistent visual theme to work properly, but I think it could be done.

If you had a few light types which are only used in unpowered areas, such as a few pulsating dim lights scattered around, or a few rotating lights such as the one on the power nodes, those could indicate that an area is unpowered without having to rely on oversaturated colours. All mappers would have to do is make their unpowered theme darker than the powered theme, and include a few of the signature lights in the room where they could be seen.

Also you could have things like any monitors or screens in the room display a special unpowered warning sign, basically give mappers a few toggleable symbols to place in their rooms which denote powered/unpowered state. They should be able to make it obvious.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1835094:date=Feb 26 2011, 12:48 PM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ Feb 26 2011, 12:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are there red lights that pulse during emergency lighting/backup in Real Life? I don't want to make the comparison of it being unrealistic at all (and to be honest, I'm not really sure, but I really haven't seen red emergency lighting before) because that isn't the point. The point is all emergency lighting has been bright white flood lights. Perhaps a limited number of these (perhaps, part of the Power Node Prop) along with SOME red lighting could produce a decent power outage effect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Except for radioluminescent green exit signs(tritium powered) and phosphorescent tape I don't think I've ever seen emergency lighting.

However, if I had to design emergency lighting for a hospital or something it would not be red because the eye is poor at detecting red light. Fluorescent lights are difficult to scale down and occupy a lot of space; I would opt for low wattage white LEDs with a high colour temperature(more blue and green, less red; "cold white") and maybe on a completely different wiring than the main electrical wiring to prevent common mode failures.

ETA: I think the inspiration for emergency lighting in NS2 isn't emergency BACKUP lights, but emergency WARNING lights.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    The eye isnt poor at detecting red light - why do you think most warning lights are red?
    I guess u mean seeing in red light.

Red light to illuminate a space in emergency situations is only used by Hollywood films.
    In reality the only place they do this, is in submarines (At least google told me that... ) - and that only to help people adjust to low light...
    They shift to red light a ~half hour before raising the periscope, the moment they raise it they go black... - They do this to ensure not revealing the submarines position - since light could shine trough the periscope. - or something like that.

They dont switch to red light in other situations- ever.

Usually white lights are used in emergencies to illuminate space with some warning signals(sound)/lights.

I think it would be cool to go away from pure red lightning, and just dimm the light down add some flickering and only a few red lights (like on prop screens or special lamps - may it rotating or only small)

You need to know that something bad is happening/or something isnt working right, but you wouldnt want that ppl have problems to see... - in reality at least.
    Red lights dont drain less power than white lights if emergency generators need to power a room. ^^All it does is making it harder to see...
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1835153:date=Feb 26 2011, 07:36 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Feb 26 2011, 07:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835153"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You need to know that something bad is happening/or something isnt working right, but you wouldnt want that ppl have problems to see... - in reality at least.
    Red lights dont drain less power than white lights if emergency generators need to power a room. ^^All it does is making it harder to see...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In the game, making it difficult to see is the entire point of the emergency lights.
    Red light is danger light. It's telling you there's a problem, not that there's a low light level.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <b><!--coloro:#C0C0C0--><span style="color:#C0C0C0"><!--/coloro-->The lighting definitely needs more variety. should be something like this though:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    </b>

1. Enitre map cept for start locations is <!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->dark & powered down<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> (cept for some mini <!--coloro:#FFFFFF--><span style="color:#FFFFFF"><!--/coloro-->LED guide lights<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->)

<!--coloro:#98FB98--><span style="color:#98FB98"><!--/coloro-->2. Alien infested areas : lights change to creepy teal green<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#F4A460--><span style="color:#F4A460"><!--/coloro-->& orange lights + lots extra shadows and atmospheric lights + fog and heat wave distortion effects <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#00FFFF--><span style="color:#00FFFF"><!--/coloro-->3. Marine areas, are bright and tech blue coloured.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->4. Red is only used for rooms that have been powered on and aliens have destoyed the power <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->- <!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->once there are no marine structures left the room should go dark again<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->, and of course if either team comes back in it will either go <!--coloro:#00FFFF--><span style="color:#00FFFF"><!--/coloro-->tech blue<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> or <!--coloro:#98FB98--><span style="color:#98FB98"><!--/coloro-->alien green<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#F5DEB3--><span style="color:#F5DEB3"><!--/coloro-->/orange.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

of course the mapper should be able to add some guide lights or something, if it doesn't confuse people too much (light an exterior window will always shine, lava will always glow) and also only as long as it adds to the look of the map.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    aside from lightning issues, main hives having no power nodes is problem as well. why allow power nodes in other hives but keep main hive so visible to marines eyes? Having every other room get somewhat darken when nodes go down, but when they enter main hive why would all the lights be on in place where hive, and infestation should be strongest?
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1835186:date=Feb 27 2011, 02:30 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Feb 27 2011, 02:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->aside from lightning issues, main hives having no power nodes is problem as well. why allow power nodes in other hives but keep main hive so visible to marines eyes? Having every other room get somewhat darken when nodes go down, but when they enter main hive why would all the lights be on in place where hive, and infestation should be strongest?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
    (and i also think that either start position should be able to be occupied by either team)
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1835153:date=Feb 26 2011, 08:36 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Feb 26 2011, 08:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835153"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The eye isnt poor at detecting red light - why do you think most warning lights are red?
    I guess u mean seeing in red light.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, the eye is terrible at detecting red light: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CIE_1931_Luminosity.png" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CIE_1931_Luminosity.png</a>

At 650 nm, which is just past the orangy-red colours and into the pure red part of the spectrum, right around what pure red LEDs and laser pointers use, the luminous efficacy is 1/10th that of the peak at around 560 nm(which is green with a slightly yellow tint). You would never chose red lighting emergency lighting because it's a massive waste of power and monochrome lighting obviously has a terrible colour rendering index.

That's not to say that the 'red' cone cells are somehow poor at detecting light, it's that the response function has a huge overlap with 'green' cones, so that to get pure red you need to go all the way out to ~650 nm: <a href="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Cones_SMJ2_E.svg" target="_blank">http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...ones_SMJ2_E.svg</a>

I'm not sure i've ever seen a red warning light either. All cop cars, ambulances, fire trucks, road accident warning signs and road construction warning signs I've ever seen in real life are either blue or yellow rotating lights or white, yellow or blue flashing lights. I think american movies use red and blue flashing lights on cop cars.

<!--quoteo(post=1835153:date=Feb 26 2011, 08:36 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Feb 26 2011, 08:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835153"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Red light to illuminate a space in emergency situations is only used by Hollywood films.
    In reality the only place they do this, is in submarines (At least google told me that... ) - and that only to help people adjust to low light...
    They shift to red light a ~half hour before raising the periscope, the moment they raise it they go black... - They do this to ensure not revealing the submarines position - since light could shine trough the periscope. - or something like that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Amateur astronomers similarly often use red flash-lights in order to avoid disrupting their night vision. It is supposed that pirates used an eye patch on one eye when going out in bright sunlight to avoid messing up their night vision for when they go back in the dark and dingy interior of the ship.

<!--quoteo(post=1835153:date=Feb 26 2011, 08:36 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Feb 26 2011, 08:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835153"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You need to know that something bad is happening/or something isnt working right, but you wouldnt want that ppl have problems to see... - in reality at least.
    Red lights dont drain less power than white lights if emergency generators need to power a room. ^^All it does is making it harder to see...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pure red lights drain much more power to provide the same level of illumination because the luminous efficacy of pure red is ****. Orange-yellow lighting is pretty OK on the power consumption side of things(think low pressure sodium lights), but it's still annoying.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1835227:date=Feb 27 2011, 10:02 PM:name=Soylent_green)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soylent_green @ Feb 27 2011, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is supposed that pirates used an eye patch on one eye when going out in bright sunlight to avoid messing up their night vision for when they go back in the dark and dingy interior of the ship.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hahah. Cool.
    Good post all around. Very educational.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    if the maps are "dark and boring" to you... then.. you need to check out the game on a better monitor. thats all i can say.
  • SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
    Funny story: My friend who I convinced to buy this complained about how damn dark the game is. Thinking it is not nearly dark enough when the emergency lighting is on, and it is wonderfully lit when the normal lighting is on, I had no ###### idea what he was talking about. He said he had to run around and use the flashlight all the time.

Well, when I went over a while back and he booted it up, I could see what he meant. The whole game was seriously dark. As if the monitor settings were off. Running the game windowed fixed the problem. Still no idea what caused it. He's running a 5870.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    this thread = tldr;

Mappers can already place lights that ignore the power grid. This allows the area to still have flashing red but use other lights too. It doesn't have to be just red and black. I did notice Cory's comment about keeping consistency of the emergency lit areas and agree the mechanics of the emergency lighting should not be different or else it can get confusing to players.