KILL! KILL! KILL!

HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
<div class="IPBDescription">End-game scenario.</div>So basically, when one team has completely dominated the other team, for example the other team has no resource towers, there will be some audio, maybe HUD, maybe visual effects urging the players+commander on the one team to "FINISH HIM!". Kinda like bloodlust, battle fervour, that sort of thing. Aliens could have a "KILL! KILL! KILL!", marines could have a "YEEHAW!" or somesuch. So basically, the other team needs to know they've lost, so put them out of their misery.

This suggestion is about 2 parts serious to 1 part joke. Please consider it in the same way.

Comments

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It would be great if music artists from the community could provide some heart pumping scores for the game, or we'd have to patiently wait til when UWE has the resources to hire an artist.

The original NS marine themed intro track was great.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It could unlock special death moves on the winning side, that if used instantly kills enemy players/structures with a resulting FATALITY shown onscreen. Pure win.
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    With a bit of tweaking to the idea, this could work! audio cues can work really well for team morale. I cannot think of any examples off of the top of my head, except for the zombie mode in the Scott Pilgrim game and the endgame of TF2 rounds. In the Scott Pilgrim game, when your health reaches a low state on the zombie minigame, some epic music creeps up in volume and gets the blood pumping.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Left4Dead does a fine job at this as well, well when certain things happen. Endgame is usually met with a creepy drumroll :P
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited February 2011
    @Scardybob: 2 parts serious! Remember the 2 parts serious! :P
    +1 for a mod though.

@twiliteblue: I believe they do have a contract artist writing the score for the game, and that the plan is to have L4D-style audio cues for the game. And later, to release a soundtrack.

<!--quoteo(post=1834599:date=Feb 24 2011, 04:26 AM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Feb 24 2011, 04:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834599"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->some epic music creeps up in volume and gets the blood pumping.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hell yeah!

But yeah, other than music and such, it'd definitely be cool to have that kind of "FINISH HIM!" mentality and some very subtle visual/HUD effects (just to set the right mood) and definitely audio messages from the alien Hive Mind (much like the Structure Under Attack), or other marine team members (think L4D autoshouts). Basically get everyone on your team psyched to end the game. You could possibly also switch it around for the other team, give them that feeling of despair - music and visuals, but no audio messages 'cause that wouldn't make a lot of sense. All in all, when you've got no resource towers, or all your IPs are down, (or some other triggers) you gotta know when to quit, and sometimes you don't. This will hopefully remedy that situation by bringing in outside factors, or THE outside factor - the other team.
  • TAz00TAz00 Join Date: 2004-10-06 Member: 32113Members
    So, TF2 point capture endgame scenario. Kill the rest of the other team, no more respawn. Weapons alot more powerful.
    Could work if a bit less cartoonish.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    With those cowering animations from TF2?

I dare you to shoot a cowering and scared Gorge, YOU MONSTERS!
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    But what if both teams suck and they both lose all their RTs? Or at the very close point when they only have 1 RT each? Wouldn't the visual/audio cue give one team the advantage over the other when they're both in the same bad position?
  • AmIAnnoyingNowAmIAnnoyingNow Join Date: 2004-03-15 Member: 27352Members
    Actually, in all seriousness, I think it would be pretty cool if there was a a faster paced dramatic music that started to play whenever a hive or cc starts taking large amounts of damage.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1834769:date=Feb 24 2011, 11:57 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 24 2011, 11:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834769"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With those cowering animations from TF2?

I dare you to shoot a cowering and scared Gorge, YOU MONSTERS!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Give me the gun. I'll do it.

Also, there's no gameplay effect. Or rather, there's no direct gameplay effect from this. Like, no changes to respawn times, no changes to weapons, it's all the same. It's just audio and visual cues. The gameplay effect will be a follow-on from the audio/visual cue, and it will GET PEOPLE PUMPED to FINISH HIM! basically.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just hope they dropped that annoying deathping. and leave it out for good. all it did accomplish was making gorge shelters awful common. I've seen people build shelters right from the start of the game and complained when nobody was helping them staying alive when it went down the drain.

Aliens would clatter nervously with their teeth and claws, while an onos is furious (even more than normal) when all hives are lost
    Marines could start to cry occasionaly ("i dont wanna die!") and aliens get a pulse radar (think alien's motion tracker but reversed, gets louder and faster the closer they are to a marine and only aliens hear it)
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1835900:date=Mar 3 2011, 09:54 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Mar 3 2011, 09:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just hope they dropped that annoying deathping. and leave it out for good. all it did accomplish was making gorge shelters awful common. I've seen people build shelters right from the start of the game and complained when nobody was helping them staying alive when it went down the drain.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not quit sure what you mean at all. Could you please clarify?

<!--quoteo(post=1835900:date=Mar 3 2011, 09:54 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Mar 3 2011, 09:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens would clatter nervously with their teeth and claws, while an onos is furious (even more than normal) when all hives are lost
    Marines could start to cry occasionaly ("i dont wanna die!") and aliens get a pulse radar (think alien's motion tracker but reversed, gets louder and faster the closer they are to a marine and only aliens hear it)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1. End games should be dramatic! Game over man! Game over!

What if all the lights switch off if the Marines are defeated, even if the power nodes are not destroyed?

About the alien pulse radar/sonar. I was going to suggest making that the secondary fire of Skulk Parasite, that turns the Skulk into a marine radar while the Skulk is standing still. But DI would make that mostly redundant.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1835928:date=Mar 4 2011, 10:47 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Mar 4 2011, 10:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835928"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not quit sure what you mean at all. Could you please clarify?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think he's talking about the NS1 mechanic where if all the hives were dead, aliens lost health over time, unless they were sitting next to a million defence towers which regenerated it faster than it got drained, resulting in gorges going off and building a doom fortress of def chambers somewhere hard to reach, and the marines wondering why they haven't won when all the aliens appear to be dead and there are no hives.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    Would be like scoring with a chick while listening to flight of the valkyries!