NS2HD [123] + Transcript

ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
edited February 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<b>The transcript is NOT professional, it uses paraphrasing and some of the audio is indecipherable by my ear. I've tried to keep it readable, I hope this helps some people who are having trouble listening to it properly. If you can make corrections/additions or decipher some of the audio I couldn't, by all means PM me with corrections and I will be happy to amend.</b>

<div align='center'><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz3FyaOVYpY" target="_blank">NS2[123] - Video</a><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><div align='center'><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Transcript<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>

<b>NS2HD</b> :: Where did the idea, for natural selection, come from?
<b>TheRealFlayra</b> ::It's not that special; it's just I love to play action games, I love to play strategy games, and it seemed like a perfect marriage. And I just like deep games, I don't wanna play just like <indecipherable>.

But first person shooters, there's so many awesome things like the emersion and [late join?], [all the modding?], big games with 30 people, so it seems like a nobrainer combining the best of strategy games with the best of actions games so give me a deep shooter basically.

<b>NS2HD</b> :: <indecipherable>

<b>NS2HD</b> :: Where did you get the idea to let just anyone mod the game?

<b>TRF</b> :: Well they did it without really askingasking, or promoting. And, like there is one, that is NS Mod where people use admin mod to do crazy stuff adding, you know, Phasegate Menus and things like that, and of course NS1 was a mod so it [made sense ?] to kind of paying homage to that.

Also we want [people to do stuff with their mods?], not just us or our <indecipherable (something about licensing ties?)> so we couldn't do anything with it. We couldn't sell it, and the technology was completely closed because we couldn't afford a license. Now we have our own technology, we can do a lot better than that. Not only can we let people create stuff with it we can let <indecipherable>.

<b>NS2HD</b> :: So you're doing for them, what you would have liked to back then?

<b>TRF</b> :: Yeah.

<b>NS2HD</b> :: What do you hope they will create with it?

<b>TRF</b> :: Uh, well hopefully, somebody will create a game that's better than ours! Or make, counter strike, or something for NS2 [and it will just be?] huge. Hopefully.

<b>NS2HD</b> :: Where does the name "TheRealFlayra" come from?

<b>TRF</b> :: Uh, that's just from people, impersonating me on various forums. So just wanted to *jiggles hands*, but [there is no way?] it really means anything. It's just Flayra, just if I couldn't grab it or something... the name flayra, that was from <indecipherable> I used to play it as a female model, but I wanted an evil sounding name, and theres <mind flayers?> from <DnD?>, but it's a girl

<b>NS2HD</b> :: I've always wondered that ever since I started playing NS-*distracted* Owwwhhh, that was a huge failure. *sadface*

*banter*

<b>NS2HD</b> :: Where do you see UWE being in 2, 3 years?

<b>TRF</b> :: Well we're gonna be gone or we're gonna be, rocking! What I mean is, we'll be in San Francisco and we'll be 30 people working on a new game. We'll also be working on NS2, but we'll also be working on a new game. Hopefully we'll be <indecipherable>, and hopefully the thing about building an awesome mod platform is; it let's us build mods so we should be able to build really fun small games, just to make sure that we built the platform properly, and just to refresh us. I think, when you work on games for years at a time, it's really fun to just sit down for a weekend and create something small. It'll be really cool for me to make some mods, try out new ideas. [To stay fresh ?]

<b>NS2HD</b> :: And you intend for people to make games with the Spark engine?

<b>TRF</b> :: Yeah, definitely, it could be mods or full games, hopefully we'll help them distribute them or they can distribute them elsewhere. Of course it won't be completely free for them to do so, but we want to make sure it's easy for them to do so.

<b>NS2HD</b> :: So it's accessible..

<b>TRF</b> :: Yeah, they don't require much money upfront to do so. We want to make sure, if someone makes something cool with Spark, they can make money from it.

<b>NS2HD</b> :: Are you proud of what you've created?

<b>TRF</b> :: I'm not even thinking about it, because there's so much to do; I mean, it's really great. There's just not a lot of time to enjoy it... because it could all go away. We just have to stay focused.

*pleasantries*

NS2HD[123] - The Charlie Interview<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b><i>Thanks Enceladus and Juice for filling in the blanks</i></b>

Comments

• ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    thanks a lot!

It's easier for me as a non native english speaker to read it then trying to understand all the mumbling.
    Maybe NS2HD can just copy your text and fill in the gaps.
    Anyway,
    Thank you very much!
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1834199:date=Feb 22 2011, 01:07 AM:name=Shilorius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shilorius @ Feb 22 2011, 01:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834199"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thanks a lot!

It's easier for me as a non native english speaker to read it then trying to understand all the mumbling.
    Maybe NS2HD can just copy your text and fill in the gaps.
    Anyway,
    Thank you very much!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Great, glad it helped. Most of the missing details are some minor things like at one point it sounds like he says "Quaggle" but that actually doesn't mean anything and isn't the name of any known game so... yeah, no idea what it's meant to say. Not that it's at all relevant to anything anyway.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    edited February 2011
    So modders will have to pay to mod? I hope it wont be like that for every kind of modding, like modding ns2. Hopefully they wont require a license fee until you start to earn money on it, but if you do, I hope they keep the fee for when you mod a new game.

If anyone can enlighten me exactly how he meant I would be GLaD XD.

EDIT:
    And I thought he said quake
    <!--quoteo(post=1834204:date=Feb 22 2011, 01:46 AM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Feb 22 2011, 01:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So modders will have to pay to mod? I hope it wont be like that for every kind of modding, like modding ns2. Hopefully they wont require a license fee until you start to earn money on it, but if you do, I hope they keep the fee for when you mod a new game.

If anyone can enlighten me exactly how he meant I would be GLaD XD.

EDIT:
    And I thought he said quake<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, he means you'll have to pay to use the engine to create and sell a game. Creating mods for NS2/Spark will be free, access to the Spark engine source will be pay-for. I think this is how Source works.
  • EnceladusEnceladus Join Date: 2004-01-18 Member: 25442Members
    lemme try to fill some gaps.. not sure if everything is 100% correct but well :)

NS2HD :: And then you can choose what you want

NS2HD :: Where did you get the idea to let just anyone mod the game?

TRF :: Well they did it without really askingasking, or promoting. And, like there is one, that is NS Mod where people use admin mod to do crazy stuff adding, you know, Phasegate Menus and things like that, and of course NS1 was a mod so it [did make sense ?] to kind of paying homage to that.

[...]

TRF :: Well we're gonna be gone or we're gonna be, rocking! What I mean is, we'll be in San Francisco and we'll be probably 30 people working on a new game. We'll also be working on NS2, but we'll also be working on a new game. Hopefully we'll be done with a new game, and hopefully the thing about building an awesome mod platform is; it let's us build mods so we should be able to build really fun small games, just to make sure that we built the platform properly, and just to refresh us. I think, when you work on games for years at a time, it's really fun to just sit down for a weekend and create something small. It'll be really cool for me to make some mods, try out new ideas. [To stay fresh ?]

NS2HD :: And you intend for people to make games with the Spark engine?

TRF :: Yeah, definitely, it could be mods or full games, hopefully we'll help them distribute them or they can distribute them elsewhere. Of course it won't be completely free for them to do so, but we want to make sure it's easy for them to do so.

NS2HD :: so it's accessible..

TRF :: Yeah, they don't require much money upfront to do so. We want to make sure, if someone makes something cool with Spark, they can make money from it.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Something to revise on your transcript - I thought this was the most interesting part! It shows the real life struggle of the indie studio.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2HD :: Are you proud of what you've created?

TRF :: I'm not even thinking about it, because there's so much to do; I mean, it's really great. There's just not a lot of time to enjoy it... because it could all go away. We just have to stay focused.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Woo you can do it guys!
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Thanks for having a go at transcripting this guys, I know the audio's not great but I thought it was so cool to be interviewing Charlie himself that it had to go up anyway.

While I don't have the time to do it myself, if anyone did happen to put a transcript in YouTube caption form I would add it to the video in a flash.

Also, <b>Juice's revision is correct and probably the most poignant line in the whole interview.</b>
    I added in the stuff people changed, thanks for helping out guys.
  • CaM_CaM_ Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63978Members