Dynamic Infestation Mechanics

RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Res Tower Concept</div>I posted this in the main thread, but thought I would post it here for discussion.

Instead of the commander 'linking up' areas of the map, it should instead automatically path / grow between selected hives and nodes within a hive's infestation radius.

For example:

# You start with your initial hive, this gives access to two RTs within its infestation radius.

# When you send a drifter to build an RT, whilst building the DI grows between the hive and the RT (which would look very cool, like a snake through the level).

# Hives can be built anywhere, which give access to more RTs.

The GREAT thing about this, is that it does not matter how big or small the map is. It will effectively work in the same way by just linking up RTs within range.

The commander should be able to use the 'infest' button, as well as the Gorge. But perhaps this costs a lot more energy to infest a room completely.

It also means commanders can't spam infestation as much, and the fights would orientate round the RTs instead of the DI itself. So it would only link up once you have taken down an RT and then placed one there.

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Hm.

I think the main point of DI is that you have to actively support it to maintain a presence in the room.

This idea would definitely allow players to quickly cap RTs close to Hives, and not have to worry about spamming DI to keep it alive. But I think the manual work of spreading DI to fully control regions should still be a manual labor.

Definitely I think that we should be able to drop Hives regardless of DI, and let the new hive spread DI from its location.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hm.

I think the main point of DI is that you have to actively support it to maintain a presence in the room.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not suggesting that. If DI grows between Hives and RTs there will still be ground to cover that will not do automatically, especially on the front lines.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The commander should be able to use the 'infest' button, as well as the Gorge. But perhaps this costs a lot more energy to infest a room completely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The BIG problem is very clear.

The size of the infestation the alien comm drops is the same for every level. On Rockdown at the moment it is very easily for the Alien team to quickly and easily take over the map, where as in Tram the Marines dominate because Aliens can not cap enough RTs because the distance is so great.

This will be a big issue to balance, as map sizes and distances will vary so much. How on earth do you balance something like this? It is near to impossible imo.

The only way you could do it is be increasing Hive energy uptake or make the drop size relate to map size, but then that is an issue in itself because of drifter spam and varying rooms sizes.

The DI upkeep would still exist, and you could perhaps even make it easier for Marines to split DI paths between the Hives and RTs because the effort to form them and repair them is more balanced.

This system would (imo) work for every level as it is not dependent on distances or quantities, but instead focuses effort on attacking RTs and Tech Nodes and upkeep of DI after it has made its initial paths.

It also wouldn't stop you infesting further forward to join up with res nodes out of Hive range, but obviously not as easily and quickly as current infestation allows.

I don't know if you have played Alien Comm much either, but you now spend all free time dropping DI when you are not building. It is a little tedious.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Ooohhh. I get it. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Just got mixed up with some of the wording.

And yeah, I fired it up last night and was messing around as Alien comm online. The DI spam mode is.... difficult at times.

One thing I am curious about is how you intend to handle then larger maps that are res node and not tech node heavy? Perhaps incorporate a way for mappers to adjust the auto-DI region/radius? What about when multiple Hives can reach a RT? Can we ever have RTs not in the auto region?

I would say an adjustable by mapper radius would work best, and having RTs out of the region will simply force the Aliens to invest in spreading DI manually. Or, perhaps instead of a radius designate which Technodes can auto-DI to which nodes? Except then it's hard for players to determine that on the fly without UI modifications when making strategic decisions...

Hives will auto-extend to all RTs in their radius, so it's possible if there's overlap for two Hives to auto-extend to the same RT, thus connecting their two regions. Also, I think the DI tendril should move at a set rate. That way it reaches locations that are close before the RT is done, but for one far enough away it might not reach it until after it's done. Just makes more lore sense in my mind.

I think Gorges should still have to puke to let an RT be placed. And if it's far enough puke again to prevent it from dying (yay tending RTs) as the tendril gets there.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps incorporate a way for mappers to adjust the auto-DI region/radius? What about when multiple Hives can reach a RT? Can we ever have RTs not in the auto region?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup, I think mappers would have to designate res nodes that can be accessible by a Hive.

As for multiple Hives reaching an RT, perhaps it grows from both/nearest/selected - I don't think that would be an issue to balance. It would add a strategic level I suppose to select the right one. Is the main hive being attacked? Do you need structures to be built on certain routes?

RTs not in the auto region should probably be those in the initial start points for both Marines and Aliens.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That way it reaches locations that are close before the RT is done, but for one far enough away it might not reach it until after it's done. Just makes more lore sense in my mind.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't think of any RTs that would be 'that' far away to be connected from a Hive's range. You'd either have to do it manually, or attack and build a Hive further forward.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think Gorges should still have to puke to let an RT be placed. And if it's far enough puke again to prevent it from dying (yay tending RTs) as the tendril gets there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The Gorge placement feels odd for me at the moment. The DI spreads like liquid, yet the Gorge drops DI in spots. I think it would be better if it 'gave off' or 'puked' DI over a period of time based on charge.

If the width of the trail was quite thin it would mean you can link up at reasonable distance with weaker lines. Or spread it more densely but at cost to distance.

Not sure about gorge placed RTs or how that would fit in balance wise. Gorge as builder was good in NS1 mind.