Alien Vision Feedback

xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
edited February 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
Looks pretty damn awesome.. would like it to be more "dirty" like you said in the video.

+This ability is way overpowered right now... there is 0 trade off.
-You can see every marine perfectly ALL the time.

+Suggested Nerfs

-Energy drained for using the ability, not a huge amount; 2%max energy every 2 seconds. (If you want it scaling with energy upgrades) *optional*(pretty severe penalty) lol

-View distance greatly reduced, fogged out after 20 yards or so. Shouldn't be able to see completely across rock down marine starting area. *necessary*

-Some sort of eyelid (fish eye) overlay on the screen, so that your vision is not totally clear and perfect. *probably necessary*

Comments

• BlueDevilBlueDevil Join Date: 2009-10-05 Member: 68955Members
    Or perhaps some lens flare alike effects on light?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    And make it orange in infested areas and green in uninfested areas as well, and perhaps have the infestation glow a small amount as it goes completely invisible currently.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    Some ideas,

- The effect slowly fades in depending on darkness level ... the darker the stronger the effect.

- Disable or greatly reduce energy reg while active, but no draining. (but i dont like it because flamethrower effect)

- Extra energybar with drain (maybe only while moving), regeneration increased in darkness or on DI.

- Observatorys and scans scam(disable the vision and/or flash/blind you) the vision if you are in the area or getting closer. (Alien vision is some kind of sonar, and not nightvision.)
    So you dont want to have the effect on all the time - since a scan could flashbang you... (maybe some alien structure (or di) counter scams the effect... so marine scans dont flash you, and only disable or lowers the effect a little bit for a few seconds)

Blind goes away over time or if vision is disabled.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Aw, what's wrong with perma Alien Flashlight????? I liked NS1!!!

In other news, at the very least Gorge need the ability to see DI. Especially to distinguish which DI are not connected to a Hive. Alien Vision would be perfect for this.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You might as well keep it on all the time, because when it comes to spotting a threat it is a million times easier.

Perhaps they should add in a bit of a nasty motion blur, so it is still effective in the dark - but not something you'd want on all the time.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2011
    I think we have a lot of masochists among us. But since they were the hardcore NS1 crowd, I'm hardly surprised. :P
    Alien dark vision should not have severe drawbacks like those suggested, because it is a fundamental game mechanism (to be able to see enemies). If anything needs to change, it is the marine flashlight that needs a slight range increase.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Energy drained for using the ability, not a huge amount; 2%max energy every 2 seconds. (If you want it scaling with energy upgrades) *optional*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> No to this please. An alien should be able to keep on there vision as long as they want to. This way when they're hiding in dark rooms they don't need to worry about energy draining or regen slowled down. This type of behavioral reinforcement as a game mechanic is nothing but frustrating to players.

I would rather have light obscure the vision through some sort of interference affect. This could be just vision blur to a type of lens flare affect like mentioned above. What I think would be cool is if lights actually put off a interference signal. So the non-emergency light produces some sort of heat or wave signature that glows like the marines thus causing a huge amount of interference in lighted rooms. Either way, I feel the best and most natural way to handle and balance this is to make it not really affective in power, lighted rooms.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the vision like it is.
    It does not have to be nerfed

Just press F and enter the world of TRON!
    (It would be no surprise for me if a Recognizer appears!)

And there are drawbacks:
    - Lerkspores are invisible
    - We can't see infestation
    - we can't see if the light is on or off (maybe some sneaky MAC repaired the powernode)
    - if you ran around with vision on all the time and die, you need a moment after respawn to get used to all the colours again (at least.. I do)

I agree that the flashlight for marines needs a slightly range improovement.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1833449:date=Feb 19 2011, 02:33 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Feb 19 2011, 02:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833449"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think we have a lot of masochists among us. But since they were the hardcore NS1 crowd, I'm hardly surprised. :P
    Alien dark vision should not have severe drawbacks like those suggested, because it is a fundamental game mechanism (to be able to see enemies). If anything needs to change, it is the marine flashlight that needs a slight range increase.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If it shouldn't have any drawbacks, it shouldn't feel like I'm playing darwinia.

I like the art in NS2, I don't particularly want to have to turn the entire game into tron in order to be competitive.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1833519:date=Feb 18 2011, 09:11 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Feb 18 2011, 09:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If it shouldn't have any drawbacks, it shouldn't feel like I'm playing darwinia.

I like the art in NS2, I don't particularly want to have to turn the entire game into tron in order to be competitive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That actually reminds me of one of the major complaints about Batman Arkham Asylum, from the game designers. They had all this gorgeous art, but since we all played through with Detective Vision on 100% of the time we "missed out" on it. =p