Bye Bye Guitar Hero!

ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Cut from development!</div><a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12415156" target="_blank">http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12415156</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The popular music video game Guitar Hero is being axed by the company that publishes it after nearly six years.

Activision Blizzard, which makes the Call of Duty and World of Warcraft series, says it's ditching the franchise because "the popularity of music-themed video games has faded".

The company is also cutting 500 people from its global workforce of 7,000.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think they've finally realised they're making the same game over and over again!

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    FIFA, NFL all those F1 racing games and sports games are next, I guess? oh wait people still buy those completely new games each year... Ah well...
  • ANeMANeM Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16267Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1831948:date=Feb 13 2011, 12:24 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 13 2011, 12:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1831948"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->FIFA, NFL all those F1 racing games and sports games are next, I guess? oh wait people still buy those completely new games each year... Ah well...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The difference here is Guitar Hero was releasing multiple console games each year, and had a steep buy-in factor with all the peripherals.
    This along with frivolous licences (exclusivity contracts with bands, likeness rights for famous/dead artists) lead to an unsustainable franchise.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Are you saying that racing games and sports games don't pay ridiculous licenses? I'd expect Beckham's face to be more expensive than all Aerosmith, for example.

I think that the difference is that, unlike Call of Duty: The New Edition, the old Guitar Hero fans didn't find the same need to update to the latest and most cool version. I do hope that track packs/DLC are still planned!
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    guitar hero was dead to me a long time ago ;p
  • ANeMANeM Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16267Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1831995:date=Feb 13 2011, 06:05 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Feb 13 2011, 06:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1831995"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you saying that racing games and sports games don't pay ridiculous licenses? I'd expect Beckham's face to be more expensive than all Aerosmith, for example.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The way I understand it is that licensing for sport games is quite different, with much less frivolity. When the players join a major league they generally have to sign over their likeness rights to the league. When a company wishes to make a game for that league they get the rights to the names and likenesses bundled in. This is rather helpful since there really isn't a point to buying an NFL game if half the teams are populated with fictitious characters.

That sort of thing doesn't really happen with music, but thats alright, the idea of Guitar Hero was you played as a cover band (admittedly one that becomes ridiculously famous for no explained reason). There is no real NEED to have Kurt Cobain prancing around on the stage. The game is about YOU playing his songs, not him. He did enough of that already. So spending millions of dollars securing the rights to these musicians was utterly pointless.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I think I do remember clearly seeing Ozzy Osbourne, I think it was GH 5?
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    the peripherals are just too expensive. My wife and I were huge RB/GH fans and got all the games for the first couple years. We have wanted the last couple RB/GH games but could not justify spending more money than an xbox + kinect bundle costs on just some plastic music instruments for one game.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    goodbye and good riddance

######ized watered down music games for stupid yanks who don't feel like importing actual music games from Japan

Guitar freaks is true Guitar Hero
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1831948:date=Feb 14 2011, 05:24 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 14 2011, 05:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1831948"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->FIFA, NFL all those F1 racing games and sports games are next, I guess? oh wait people still buy those completely new games each year... Ah well...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There have been F1 racing games? There was that one recently that was terrible. Are there others? On PC?

--Scythe--
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1832102:date=Feb 14 2011, 10:01 AM:name=That_Annoying_Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (That_Annoying_Kid @ Feb 14 2011, 10:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832102"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->goodbye and good riddance

######ized watered down music games for stupid yanks who don't feel like importing actual music games from Japan

Guitar freaks is true Guitar Hero<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah or maybe not everyone is into j-pop and j-rock.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1832106:date=Feb 14 2011, 09:19 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Feb 14 2011, 09:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832106"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There have been F1 racing games? There was that one recently that was terrible. Are there others? On PC?

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There have been plenty in the last 10 years, although I think the latest was the one for 3 or 4 years. Which well, it's actually a lot better than other games that have tried to simulate indy and formula racing. Well, when you take all the restrictions off and have no aids, the latest F1 is pretty decent. Just requires you not to be a retard when driving the thing at 200kph.
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1832134:date=Feb 14 2011, 03:10 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 14 2011, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832134"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There have been plenty in the last 10 years, although I think the latest was the one for 3 or 4 years. Which well, it's actually a lot better than other games that have tried to simulate indy and formula racing. Well, when you take all the restrictions off and have no aids, the latest F1 is pretty decent. Just requires you not to be a retard when driving the thing at 200kph.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, there are video games and than there is simulation. It's really cool that games exist that are very close to reality, but I honestly don't have the passion to learn them.

On the other hand, I'm really craving a difficult RPG. Not some washed up, badly balanced thing. Something like Deomn'sSssSSss Souls. Too bad I don't have a PS3. I mean, why even bother to put in 50 skills if maxing out any of them makes you invincible? That's just stupid. I really wished they'd make a game where you're just a normal guy with gadgets and wit, fighting orcs and trolls.

Ah well, I still have some GH around. Not like I need anymore of them.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    Who cares if they make the same thing over and over? If people want it and buy it then developers should supply it. I bet those 500 people cut wish music themed games were still popular.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I think the main problem is as someone said SentrySteve, licensing.

Oh and that lawsuit with that guy from that band probably don't help either.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1832120:date=Feb 14 2011, 05:18 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Feb 14 2011, 05:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832120"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah or maybe not everyone is into j-pop and j-rock.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

fallacious

you can make / play your own tracks, and it existed at least half a decade before guitar hero

all i'm saying is goodbye, and good riddance
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    What about Rock Band though.
    you mean guitar freaks meets drum mania meets keyboard mania?
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    Rock Band is still in development. Although I heard they're not releasing for Japanese/Asian anymore.
  • ThiefThief Ownage Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19214Members, Constellation
    Relevant: <a href="http://i.imgur.com/lhxct.jpg" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/lhxct.jpg</a>
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited February 2011
    Any idea if Harmonix was still involved later on in the development or was the Neversoft developer team a completely separate one? I'm always sort of interested where the old Looking Glass Studios folks are going.

Edit: Well yeh, according to wikipedia they were involved to some extend at least.