Dying hives should send out cries for help

PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
In response to those awesome effect videos posted yesterday, it would be cool I think to see some form of sweep or 'follow this path' effect appear when a hive is at 25% health while under attack (critical HP), allowing the player to follow a path back to the hive.

Imagine knowing that when marines attack a hive near death, every alien team mate suddenly being told how drastic the hive's health is, with an obvious indicator in how to get back to the hive that's under attack in order to have more of a defense.

So when marines attack a hive, like a swarm of honey bee's, aliens end up being led back to the hive (and not just from other team mates asking for help, rather its a huge visual cue via some visual effect) that a lot of friendlies are needed back at the hive to defend it.

I'd like to see other gameplay improvements like this that don't involve weapons etc too, just need to think of them!

Thoughts?

Comments

• l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    agreed that having a innate and organic indicator for aliens of critically low hives would be a good addition. I'm not sure if I agree with the type of effect you're wanting. I can't think of any good effects right now myself though. But it would have to be apparent without being obtrusive or over lap other effects.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    i agree, every alien should hear your hive is under attack, and aliens minimap should blink which one is under attack. Same goes for alien RTs.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Alternatively, maybe when you use the vision mode, you can see Shifts send out those pulses toward the Hive when its attacked, since they can teleport the player to the hive as well.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Both marines and aliens need alerts like this for when important areas are under attack.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Alien commander will be able to put a kind of way point on the map indicating areas under attack/needing defense/threats.
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?! Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    Ha. If the alert is sent out at 25% by the time aliens arrive it'll be dead. I've barely touched NS2 at all, but unless I'm mistaken, aren't there already indicators for hive health? Aren't there "OUR XXXX IS UNDER ATTACK" voice cues? Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but this seems like venturing too much into the hand-holdy realm of things. One of the critical differences between marines and aliens in NS was the difference in command structure - marines got a commander as a centralized decision maker and the aliens was more of a bottom-up thing. Now that they've gotten rid of that, it seems like the alien commander should take control of the team. I don't think a multiplayer experience should be like a tutorial where what to do is neatly laid out for the player - they should be informed but not guided.
  • Delta1Delta1 Join Date: 2009-08-01 Member: 68326Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I miss "the Hive is under attack" voice from Ns1, such a simple solution and i dont have to scream at team mates as com to get back to base :x
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1831779:date=Feb 12 2011, 08:55 PM:name=Delta1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Delta1 @ Feb 12 2011, 08:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1831779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I miss "the Hive is under attack" voice from Ns1, such a simple solution and i dont have to scream at team mates as com to get back to base :x<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

totally agree! loved this little addition to our minimaps, marines and aliens could always see what is being attacked, seeing the blinking on the map and hearing the sounds. this needs to make return!!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hives already give out a dying scream for aliens nearby. However, I find the sound effect to be drowned out and sporadic at best. Better visual or minimap indicators of which hives/structures under attack would be good for both sides.
  • RTVRTV Join Date: 2008-06-09 Member: 64417Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1831605:date=Feb 12 2011, 03:37 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Feb 12 2011, 03:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1831605"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i agree, every alien should hear your hive is under attack, and aliens minimap should blink which one is under attack. Same goes for alien RTs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i agree
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    Isnt there already a voice/sound that tells you a hive is under attack?

mini map should be enough to help, i dont think this is necessary BUT help is always good for newbies ;d
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I specifically mentioned the visual effect to make it *super super obvious* that something needs everyones attention (the hive is about to die).

If its just a mini-map bleep, marine's wont necessarily care that much (perhaps alien team mates wont notice / see it as enough importance), but if its some obvious visual effect to every alien player, then marines will think twice about trying to attack it solo etc.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    "Our Hive is Under ATTACK!"

"The Enemy APROACHES!"

"Our Hive is DIEING!"

?