Anyone else hitch during firefights?

PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
<div class="IPBDescription">Just an observation when hitching</div>Hi,

I notice that I hitch the most (where I get 0fps for half a second etc) that its when I am trying to shoot/attack an alien as marine or vice versa.

It seems as soon as I start shooting them I lag/freeze (and then get killed), and immediately after the firefight/lag I am back to normal speed without hitching for a while.

I don't know if this is because the Lua GC is having to do a lot of work when I start shooting, but its definitely noticeable for me that it happens around at that time.

Anyone else?

Comments

• LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I agree. It seems getting in firefights is often causing stutters for me too. The idea about the extra garbage triggering the GC makes a lot of sense actually. Max said he's been trying to reduce the amount of garbage being created and certainly when fighting you create a little bit more than usual.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have to take a look ob my FPS rate for that matter.

But especially with the shotgun i have this issue.
    If i click to shoot it bangs and after that (about 0,3 - 0,5 sec) it bangs again fireing the shot.

Its not always but sometimes.... depending on the server where I am playing.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    if you suspect that its the GC that causes the issues, try to use the o_stats command.

the o_stats command will show you every type of Object that is created in lua and how many of them per second.
    Then you can get the details of those object creations with, for example, o_stats Vector.
    This will show you where in the lua code Vectors are created and how much. So i think the idea would be to look at o_stats, begin firing you weapon and look if any of those values increase, if yes, get more details.

Sadly the o_stats command makes the game quite slow, which makes it harder to get precise data. but you can at least try to get an idea if there is a problem because of that.