Irrational Games Interviews

xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
edited February 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Developer Perspectives</div>As these do not directly pertain to NS2 in any direct sense... they are super relevant to this community. I think in the sense that many people here right now care about the development side of a game and these interviews are with people that are pretty successful in the industry.

It's basically a series of very casual relaxed conversations with Ken Levine(BIOSHOCK) and other developers they talk about game development and just philosophy of games. They are very entertaining (there is swearing and plenty of humor).

<a href="http://irrationalgames.com/insider/irrational-interviews/" target="_blank">http://irrationalgames.com/insider/irrational-interviews/</a>

Comments

• duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    I worship Irrational Games. They made System shock 2

System Shock 2.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    These guys are pretty amazing. Scott Sinclair (art director) came in and spoke to a game design class I was taking a few years ago right after the launch of Bioshock. Can learn a lot from these people.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    really good to listen to while mapping. i love what he said about fallout 3 and the stockpiling of weapons. that was the one of the two things i didn't like about fallout 3, i beat the game with like 30 nukes and 60 rockets and it made it feel like i got robbed out of an epic fight.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    The console way:
    The essence, there are a lot noobs outthere playing games - so build ya game with this in mind... give them the illusion of beeing skilled without actually requireing it. => more money because bigger audience. (console gamers are too stupid to understand complex pc games... they say it a lot nicer ofc... pc gamers are more nerdy than console gamers)

On the other side they mention sc2 a bit, and thats more the way uwe should look into, at least if you ask me. Games = test of skills(+fun). Sure you can make a game like a movie + press 1 button to do it all... but thats not a game i would play... especially if itsa multiplayer competative kind of game like ns.

The more casual ns tries to get the more it steps away from its roots, it wont fill the niche it had... it will mutate to a casual crap clone like all the other fps games out there.(with rts or rpg "elements")
    I liked ns because it was ns. (and if you are not retarded it was actually not that hard to learn... how else could it get so popular?)
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1829675:date=Feb 4 2011, 06:58 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Feb 4 2011, 06:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(and if you are not retarded it was actually not that hard to learn... how else could it get so popular?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From a new player persective, it's a massive learning curve and it is complex. I don't think anyone is retarded if they don't get it and have to take a while to figure it out.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ok this might have been the wrong word, buts its the same effort you need to learn a normal strategy game...
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1829653:date=Feb 4 2011, 05:45 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Feb 4 2011, 05:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I worship Irrational Games. They made System shock 2

System Shock 2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lets face it though, pretty much <i>everything</i> they've made since then has fallen short in comparison.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    Wut. Bioshock was great! Sure, it was System shock 2 for the younger console generation, but it still had that Irrational Games sparkle about it.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1829939:date=Feb 5 2011, 05:03 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Feb 5 2011, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wut. Bioshock was great! Sure, it was System shock 2 for the younger console generation, but it still had that Irrational Games sparkle about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

story was. but DRM, graphics and animations (physics being capped at 14fps. wtf? [source = from devs ] ) fell completely short. plus the mouse accel, FOV, Games for Windows.
    bah!
    it needed work. you can tell the attention was for obvious reasons spent on console..
    the "essence" of Bioshock was wonderful, if albiet a farcry from its original dark concept.. but the PC version needed work in many areas.