Development Blog Update - NS2 Q&A #1

13»

Comments

• juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Enemies visible to squadmates being visible through walls would be WAY overpowered as it defeats the kharaa use of stealth.
  • c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1829262:date=Feb 2 2011, 06:29 PM:name=juice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (juice @ Feb 2 2011, 06:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Enemies visible to squadmates being visible through walls would be WAY overpowered as it defeats the kharaa use of stealth.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you can already see what teammates see in ns when you use your minimap
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    edited February 2011
    Very cool, these type of videos and "podcasts" is what I have been missing form UWE, more please.

It's one thing to read the patch notes, or see what max or charlie have posted on the forums that week, but real tangible video/audio is much more concrete and satisfying.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Better to do longer videos weekly IMO. Daily ones are too short to be satisfying and might burn people out on the idea.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    I have an idea for squads. how about a purchasable beacon that you can buy that is deployable. like a small throw-able disc that when it hits the ground an antennae comes out of the top and when your squad spawns they'll spawn near the disc, but only works 2-3 times before the power source is drained. also this prevents mass spawning. also kharaa can destroy the disc to prevent spawning as well.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1829373:date=Feb 3 2011, 10:38 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Feb 3 2011, 10:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829373"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have an idea for squads. how about a purchasable beacon that you can buy that is deployable. like a small throw-able disc that when it hits the ground an antennae comes out of the top and when your squad spawns they'll spawn near the disc, but only works 2-3 times before the power source is drained. also this prevents mass spawning. also kharaa can destroy the disc to prevent spawning as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That sounds very similar to spawn portals in Savage 2. It would be a solid alternative to the old phase gate IMO.
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    Considering the game revolves around the ranged vs melee concept I would argue that marines are already waaaaay better in larger numbers than alone. This is a weak idea, I'm sorry. I get why you would want to provide an incitement for players to stick together but there are already huge incentives built in to the core mechanics of the game.

If they do understand those incentives but decide they will do more for the team by going off in the other direction then that's a concious decision to forego the advantage of multiple ranged weapons. And taking away choices like these can never be a good idea when developing a mutliplayer online game if you hope to keep players around for more than a short while. When it comes to things like this less is always more. If you want people to always stick together then design the game at the core in such a way that marines want to do it. Oh wait you already did...

except for when I'm three times better than everyone on the server and by going off alone I can occupy that same number of opponents, giving the rest of the team an easier time. But that's not game design that's lack of a better practice environment for me.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1829373:date=Feb 3 2011, 06:38 AM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Feb 3 2011, 06:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829373"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have an idea for squads. how about a purchasable beacon that you can buy that is deployable. like a small throw-able disc that when it hits the ground an antennae comes out of the top and when your squad spawns they'll spawn near the disc, but only works 2-3 times before the power source is drained. also this prevents mass spawning. also kharaa can destroy the disc to prevent spawning as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Transponders are what will let squad mates spawn into squads. As long as a squad is formed, you select that squad to spawn to.

No idea if there will be an item that a squad member/squad leader will need.