Show names of people talking over voice com

PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
Like Half-Life etc does, it would be great if on the side of the screen the player's name is shown when they are talking over microphone.

Perhaps especially for commander, show their name in a different colour so that its obvious when someone says to do something via voice com that its the commander's intention for you to do it (and not just another player).

Comments

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    That's a much needed feature. There should even be a voicecomm-log, that lists the players who have talked recently (similar to a chat log, but audio transcripts isn't quite feasible :P).
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    and pleas a testing option to tweak the volume of the microfone.

I can't use my mic for instance because nobody can understand what I'm saying.
    If there would be a testing option I could change my microphone to the right settings...
  • HoAxHoAx Join Date: 2004-02-10 Member: 26347Members
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    I agree with the general sentiment of the OP. I would like to see one addition though. When a player talks it should show their name AND their current location on the map. Just like how chat does right now. Otherwise you'll still get what we have now, which is people saying "drop an extractor here". Problem is, they don't explain where "here" is.

Another nifty feature could be color coding their names or the background color based on the squad they are in.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    edited January 2011
    In summary, nice bits of info to have about speakers:

Name, location, race (if alien), squad (if marine), commander status (ie marine speakers might be blue, marine comm would be green, alien speakers orange, alien comm yellow)
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    and a possibility to instant mute those ###########################
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I seem to recall NS1 allowed location if you were in certain parts of the map that were labeled properly. Would be nice to bring back. As for species/squad, I don't think that's as big of a deal.

We don't need extreme color coding. This should suffice:
    White : spectator
    Blue : Marine
    Light (sky) Blue : Marine Comm
    Orange : Alien
    Yellow-orange: Alien Comm
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1828855:date=Jan 31 2011, 10:46 PM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Jan 31 2011, 10:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In summary, nice bits of info to have about speakers:

Name, location, race (if alien), squad (if marine), commander status (ie marine speakers might be blue, marine comm would be green, alien speakers orange, alien comm yellow)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a little bit to much, don't you think?
    If this is all shown if someone speaks it would plaster your HUD.
    Let's see how the new scoreboard works out, maybe some of the informations are in there.

I prefer this:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->White : spectator
    Blue : Marine
    Light (sky) Blue : Marine Comm
    Orange : Alien
    Yellow-orange: Alien Comm<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    If you need an on screen display,

Blue, White Border: Marine
    Blue, Red Border: Comm
    Yellow, White Border: Alien
    Yellow, Red Border: Comm

And hide any voice indication from the enemy (especially if alltalk).

I'd prefer it to have a microphone icon on the scorelist, though.
    The more you can see of the world, the better.