Techpoint-Speciesism

korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
edited January 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Only Marines can buid everywhere?!</div>Hi all,

on <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/162_rockdown_no_eggs_at_marine_start" target="_blank">getsatisfaction.com</a> Brian Cronin, employee of Unknown Worlds posted this:
<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Brian Cronin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brian Cronin)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem is actually that the aliens can build on that tech point. That is a bug. Thank you for the report. I have added it to our tracker.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
This sounds like marines can build on every <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Technology_Point" target="_blank">technology-point</a> but aliens do not...
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Note: Aliens can build their hives on tech-points only.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

What do you think about it?

Edit: I repeat UWEs statement: The <b>problem</b> is actually that the aliens <b>can</b> build on that [Marine Start] tech point.
I'm with you if you can't believe that - but this is the truth. Please support the opposition by posting your opinion in here.

Comments

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    AFAIK all tech points can be captured by both teams.
  • korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    <!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#696969--><span style="color:#696969"><!--/coloro-->Edit: <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->Note: Please read initial post!

<!--quoteo(post=1828203:date=Jan 28 2011, 10:25 PM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ Jan 28 2011, 10:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828203"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->AFAIK all tech points can be captured by both teams.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, but "this is a bug" - click on <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/162_rockdown_no_eggs_at_marine_start" target="_blank">getsatisfaction.com</a> to see the <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/162_rockdown_no_eggs_at_marine_start" target="_blank">complete context</a> - it doesn't change the statement.
    <!--coloro:#808080--><span style="color:#808080"><!--/coloro--><strike>
    "162: Rockdown. No eggs at marine start.
    In a recent game aliens and marines swapped bases. Aliens lost since the hive couldn't spawn eggs in Marine Start."</strike><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    => This is just context, please read the answer!

You can read the answer above - This is going to be changed and we can only prevent this change (or reverse it later) if the community support tech-point-usage for every race and show that wish here.

<b>Please support it by posting your opinion in here.</b>
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1828203:date=Jan 28 2011, 01:25 PM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ Jan 28 2011, 01:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828203"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->AFAIK all tech points can be captured by both teams.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The problem isn't that they can't be captured by the aliens, but that the hives don't produce eggs (e.g. marine start on rockdown). Apparently this is a feature rather than a bug?
    edited January 2011
    <!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#696969--><span style="color:#696969"><!--/coloro-->Edit: <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->Note: Please read initial post!

<!--quoteo(post=1828210:date=Jan 28 2011, 10:36 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jan 28 2011, 10:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem isn't that they can't be captured by the aliens, but that the hives don't produce eggs (e.g. marine start on rockdown). Apparently this is a feature rather than a bug?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, i couldn't believe it myself but this is the OFFICIAL STATEMENT given by Brian Cronin - At least on Rockdown Aliens shouldn't build hives - thats not my opinion, thats UWEs plan.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    They dont produce eggs? Why do they when I play then? :S

I think the bug they talk about is alines placing structures on techpoint blocking both aliens and rines from building stuff there.
    edited January 2011

<!--quoteo(post=1828215:date=Jan 28 2011, 10:41 PM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Jan 28 2011, 10:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828215"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They dont produce eggs? Why do they when I play then? :S<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    On marine start at rockdown the hive dont produce eggs, but this is not important, read first statement.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    Marine start and the main hive are team based, the other tech_points in the map are neutral. I setup ns_sample like this as the released maps are also set up like this... I think you misunderstood Brian as he probably meant, you can't build in the enemy main room (MS or main hive), but currently there is a bug which allows aliens to build a hive, which doesn't spawn eggs, because there are no egg spawn entities in that room...

And they are planning to disallow marines from building in the main hive as well (from what I've read). This is also the reason they removed the power_nodes from the main hive rooms. But this feature isn't implemented yet...
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1828227:date=Jan 28 2011, 11:17 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jan 28 2011, 11:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marine start and the main hive are team based (...) isn't implemented yet...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ok - at least for both sides - anyway -
    <b>
    I think this doesn't increase fun but reducing it.</b>
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Currently the Marine Start and the Main Hive is decided by setting two tech_point to a team (marine only and alien only). I'm not sure what happens when all tech_points are set to neutral though... Random starts with a possibility to have a spawn bug where both aliens and marines start in the same room? :P
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Random start would be fun and wonky.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    i don't think that marine start and alien start should be team based - you should be able to take over marine spawn if you want to, and build there and secure it as an alien base. (and force the marines to use another tech point as their primary base)

infact with the maps the laid out the way they are now, you should be able to have random start locations as long as the marine and alien starts are opposite to each other.

this would add a lot of variety to the game at the begining of the match - otherwise people always do the same thing 1 or 2 things that are guaranteed to work, over and over again.