Requesting a configurable r_stats sort of function

Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">(and a possible map editor application)</div>This is a two part request, the first is simply the ability to set what gets shown when using r_stats. Maybe this means creating a r_customstats or r_cstats sort of function.

Eg: I want to just display the frame rate counter and maybe the server_tick , but not the other stuff. A configurable lua or ini file to designate which stats get shown would be great.

The second part, which would be a bonus, would be to allow users access to some of the variables so they can output more specific information or output custom calculations.

Eg: I would like to be able to take the GPU render thread time and calculate a metric for GPU performance (eg: "GPU rate"), so even if the scene or the computer is presently CPU bound I can immediately tell what in that scene or which options have the most impact on the graphics performance.

This would be extremely helpful for mappers, especially if this sort of functionality could make it into the map editor interface.

While we are at this I had another idea for the map editor that is partly tied to the aforementioned metric- If we could see the present rate, pause the rate (To form a baseline value), and mess with object shadows or light casting while the perspective is static, an indicator could show the offset of the present value against the baseline as a % or frame rate difference. This feature would allow mappers to get an immediate rough performance difference estimate while they get to see the visual difference.

You could even take this further by listing the frame differences against the baseline as you perform changes, like if you disabled shadows for one object (listed as +10fps beneath the baseline) and then enable shadows for another (listed as -5fps below that). You could compare relative performance costs for these various actions and go to town!

More realistically, and simply, a typical use would be:
Eg: A mapper has set up his camera to look down the length of a hallway where he knows the performance is going to be rough. While not changing the camera, the mapper could press the "performance comparison" button and then he could select his objects and play with the "Casts Shadows" value and immediately see both the visual impact on the scene and the relative performance difference on his machine.

A different but equally useful sort of case would be for the mapper to set a baseline value and then move around the map to see which areas are heavier and need to be toned down.

Thanks for listening.

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    +1

If you could extend that to net_stats and o_stats, that would be great. In fact, maybe you could include a custom_stats that allows us to pick and choose which parts from r_stats, net_stats, and o_stats we'd like to display.