Commander hotkeys different between races

PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
The recent bld162 change to have commander hotkeys in the same order as they appear on the HUD is good, however, the hotkeys for marines are different to aliens.

I cant press Q->E for extractors in both teams, its a different key sequence depending on the team.

Can it be standardized please so that the same rows of keys are used?

Comments

• NinjaWithSpoonsNinjaWithSpoons Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79170Members
    I agree with this. Making the interface more intuitive can go a long way to making gameplay smoother
  • SteinhauerSteinhauer Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72493Members
    I agree as well. Recycle whatever buttons are special to each race, or use new ones. Ideally when recycling, combine it with something that is in some way similar to it's counterpart.

A good observation
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    They switched the system to a grid layout rather than letter hotkey. They talked about it a few months ago <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111596&mode=threaded&pid=1809477" target="_blank">here</a>. Basically, you select the buttons such as

First Row = QWER
    Second Row = ASDF
    Third Row = ZXCV

The idea is that instead of memorizing the hotkey sequences, you memorize the location in the grid.

Though, I do agree they could switch the options around so that hives and extractors are in the same location. They should also give an option for people to use the letter system if they want. I'd also like to be able to rebind the grid to the numpad.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah I do like the grid system, its just on marines the first row is Build/Assist/Advanced, then Build Res, Build CC, where as on Aliens the first row is Build Res, Build Hive, etc.

That means my muscle memory for pressing Q->A or whatever it was :) to build a resource tower differs depending on what team I am on.

So perhaps the alien HUD should have the Build/Assist etc row as well, or just make that row for marines the 0th row that has its own keys.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I'm for standardising it so that each button press/string has the same function on both teams, for those functions that are common to both teams. Like extractors, and builders, in terms of buildables.
  • SteinhauerSteinhauer Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72493Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827855:date=Jan 27 2011, 03:04 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jan 27 2011, 03:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They switched the system to a grid layout rather than letter hotkey. They talked about it a few months ago <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111596&mode=threaded&pid=1809477" target="_blank">here</a>. Basically, you select the buttons such as

First Row = QWER
    Second Row = ASDF
    Third Row = ZXCV

The idea is that instead of memorizing the hotkey sequences, you memorize the location in the grid.

Though, I do agree they could switch the options around so that hives and extractors are in the same location. They should also give an option for people to use the letter system if they want. I'd also like to be able to rebind the grid to the numpad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah ok, makes sense, but I agree with you that the comparative items should be in the same slot. Whenever I played Star Craft/Star Craft 2, I found myself trying to hit the same key for, say SCVs and probes, which got kinda annoying.
  • Ender_74Ender_74 Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79329Members
    The new hotkey system (or the old considering it is the same as the one in NS1) is very efficient, except not everyone has a QWERTY keyboard. We french people are using a AZERTY keyboard which makes it difficult to use the keyboard for shortcuts.

Does anyone know if it possible to configure these keys ? In NS1 it was in the variable cl_cmhotkeys in config.cfg.
    <div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'>cl_cmhotkeys "qwerasdfzxcv"</div>
    I haven't been able to find it in NS2 files, yet. And having to switch the language of my keyboard before playing is a pain.