Beacon is disorienting

PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
I've been beaconed once or twice, and its always been disorienting for me when I've teleported.

Other players also have asked 'what happened' when I beaconed them as commander.

If I recall correctly, in NS1 you had a blue 'woosh' teleport effect appear when you were teleported so you knew you were 'beemed' into position.

Perhaps the same should happen for NS2, or some sort of effect, and possibly even a 'Beacon Active' message being flashed on your marine HUD a few seconds before you teleport?

Thoughts?

Comments

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1827606:date=Jan 27 2011, 11:14 AM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Jan 27 2011, 11:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827606"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been beaconed once or twice, and its always been disorienting for me when I've teleported.

Other players also have asked 'what happened' when I beaconed them as commander.

If I recall correctly, in NS1 you had a blue 'woosh' teleport effect appear when you were teleported so you knew you were 'beemed' into position.

Perhaps the same should happen for NS2, or some sort of effect, and possibly even a 'Beacon Active' message being flashed on your marine HUD a few seconds before you teleport?

Thoughts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree that there should be a more visible notification for the marines who are being recalled. Perhaps a blue flashing border around their screen?
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Yeah, the blue warping from NS1 would be pretty awesome, and a "whoosh" sound.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about an alert message appearing on top of your screen saying you are returning to base in 3.. 2.. 1.. With appropriate alert sound of course.
  • SnoopieSnoopie Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70600Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827709:date=Jan 27 2011, 08:16 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jan 27 2011, 08:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827709"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about an alert message appearing on top of your screen saying you are returning to base in 3.. 2.. 1.. With appropriate alert sound of course.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Something like this, and during that 3.. 2.. 1.. process your whole screen slowly brightens to blue and shoosh your in your base fading off around your body with blue.

Even if a timer isn't something that is suitable just have that awesome commander girl voice say something like "Commander Requesting Immediate Assistance" then kablam blueness and your back at your base.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    A count-down, and other visual effects are definitely good; but I wouldn't have the whole screen switch to blue except for the last second, instead i'd have the very edges of the screen do so.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The blue woosh effect you see here in NS1 (for when you phase and also spawn) is pretty cool, <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74B5EeOSjUA&feature=related#t=7m21s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74B5EeOSjUA...related#t=7m21s</a>