Bite feedback

intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
Hey ho,

I was playing the other day as a Skulk and thought... there isn't that much feedback to tell you that your bite on a marine has been a hit/success... My framerate isn't THAT bad, it is disorienting in a fight with a couple of marines because of the FPS drop. Not sure if this is what is causing it but... As things currently stand I don't know when my bites hit so its a little frustrating just biting and biting and not knowing whats happening.

Do marines scream, shout in pain when they're bit?
Do bites that hit sound different from the skulk? Like a bone crunching or flesh ripping sound?
Perhaps there should be a splat of blood hit the floor rather than a spray of blood that you don't see if you don't stand still when you bite

What do you guys reckon?

Comments

• sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    agreed, it needs some sort of audio feedback, but screaming sounds just silly ... +1 for fleshy bitegun hit sound , or at least have some blood spill into the skulks mouth so you get a lil bit more visual feedback aswell, let the skulk have some idle animation, licking his fangs clean or something.
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    edited January 2011
    I would like feedback too. I usually only hear a metal bite sound which is either a bug or is existing feedback which is supposed to be the sound of the skulk biting the marine's armor. Maybe we could get some blood or just a little indicator on the screen like the damage indicators for when you get hurt. This would only be needed for movable enemies (Marines, MACs, ARCs).

Also, this thread should be moved to "<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showforum=84" target="_blank">Ideas and Suggestions </a>"
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Doesn't it have a crunchy bone/flesh sound already though...
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1826338:date=Jan 22 2011, 06:59 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jan 22 2011, 06:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826338"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doesn't it have a crunchy bone/flesh sound already though...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I just checked and for me I only hear a metal biting sound. The blood is obvious when attacking a stationary bot but it's hard to tell when you are in a real fight. A bite sound would be nice but it may be hard to hear over the gunfire of a real fight. Maybe a little bit of blood splat on the screen edges. Each successful bite to a marine could add a small blood spat that disappears fast.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    good idea, currently sometimes I have no idea when I bite the marines when fighting. Change in sound when skulk actually bitten the marine would be good.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The Marines currently does not have a flinching animation or sound. The Lerk also needs a flinching sound when taking damage.
  • eisigereisiger Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75159Members
    A sound that is a mix between metal and meaty chunks being crushed together, and bits of flesh and scrap metal on the teeth would be great.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I haven't played the game that much in 161, but in 160 there was a fleshy bone-crunching sound. Very distinct and much better then this odd metal building munching sound...

Why the hell was this changed anyway?
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    I remember that prior to build 161 the only time your skulk bite made a sound was when you hit a structure, or player, whether that was a bug or intentional i don't know. Now the sound that used to play whenever you bite a structure now plays whenever you hit the level or anything. Now i'm glad that they made it so now there is some more immersion, however now it is harder to know that infact you are hitting something, since now when attacking a structure the only way to know you are actually hitting the structure is to see it playing its flinching animation and to see the small sparks flying. When biting a marine there is a small subtle bone-crunching sound but its hardly distinguishable from the default metal banging sound, especially during a firefight.

There are multiple ways to address this, i remember at one point very early in the alpha, whenever you hit a player or structure you had 4 tick marks appear around your crosshair, just like the mechanic worked in Call of duty 4, it seems to have been removed, (don't know in which build it was). Re-implementing that mechanic would be a quick compensation, and another way would be to make the sound of hitting a marine be much more distinct, louder, unique that is very apparent and noticeable during a firefight.
    Hit indicators might be nice for the marines (and lerk) as well, just that BF1942 4 line hint around your crosshair (or CoD 4 example :P)
  • RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    I am sure both the hit indicators and the feedback sounds are on the todo list; sometimes existing features that sort of work get turned off for a few builds if they need to be redone etc.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    yep different sound fx and maybe some blood on the teeth, which then flows down into the mouth (all with in like 1 second). you could do the same thing, just have some shrapnel go down the skulks mouth as well as spray outwards.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    Maybe they could change the blood effects a skulk sees? Right now it sounds like any blood effects are based off the marine model's location at the time of the bite. However, moving around as a skulk causes you to miss those effects.

How about instead, whenever a skulk lands a bite, they do not see marine-location-based blood effects, but instead see blood effects "inside" the mouth? Since skulk view is blocked anyway during a bite, there should be no gameplay harm in displaying a blood effect that doesn't last longer than the mouth is closed. If that's too short a window, then make it very easy to see through. For example, I think a few transparent specks of blood flung on the camera on each bite would go a long way to making each bite feel really visceral and brutal. The specks would disappear quickly, of course.
    This inside-the-mouth effect might be excluded if the skulk is chewing on an exoskeleton.

The player still sees blood effects based on marine location for bites landed by any other player, though. This change would only affect the player's own bites.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    The current biting sound volume should be lowered, imo. That's when 'biting air', anyway.
    Definitely would be great to have some kind of aural hit-indicator though; a fleshy sound, a marine grunting in pain.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited January 2011
    since they lower the skulk its hard for me to bite a marine, but if im marine i die fast.
    I hope all this is because of framedrop, its very hard to kill a marine, most times i run like a burning rabbit but its not only me,
    i had a lot of times run like in "benny hill" in a cycle, a fade and two skulks run behind me, this was so funny only the BH music is needed, to bad i could not record this.
    And with the framedrop there comes a little lag, it feels like you touch/get blocked by your own hitbox.
    Its weird if you shoot a skulk with a shotgun and it takes 1 second after you hit him, to die.

<b>A marine needs 3 bites which is very bad, but its WITHOUT any armor upgrade, i will not think about a full level 3 armor upgrade on marine side...</b>

<!--quoteo(post=1826348:date=Jan 23 2011, 03:28 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Jan 23 2011, 03:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Marines currently does not have a flinching animation or sound. The Lerk also needs a flinching sound when taking damage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its crazy, i guess only the Gorge has a "hit" sound and it sounds totaly weird.
  • MahmuttiMahmutti Join Date: 2010-05-25 Member: 71854Members
    edited January 2011
    CoD 4 has a great hit indicator, really easy to tell when you hit someone. You get this little "X" in the middle of the screen (and if I remember correct you also hear something). Copying that to NS2 wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • meb2meb2 Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72824Members
    hit indicators are a very bad thing if they are predicted on the client and not confirmed first by the server

this happens frequently in NS for sound effects - blood is the only reliable feedback for a hit, while hit sounds are misleading and only create confusion ("wow i know i hit that lerk with a full shotgun blast - i know i HEARD it hit")

this feature of NS is one of the main contributors to why many players feel NS has terrible hitreg. NS actually has amazing hit registration compared to most multiplayer games. I'd say it only pales in comparison to Q3/QL - and that's only when ping is below 70
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1826357:date=Jan 23 2011, 04:13 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jan 23 2011, 04:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826357"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hit indicators might be nice for the marines (and lerk) as well, just that BF1942 4 line hint around your crosshair (or CoD 4 example :P)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    and iron sight and stamina and hats and aimbot and wallhack and slower movement and and and and....
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1826576:date=Jan 24 2011, 06:10 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jan 24 2011, 06:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826576"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The current biting sound volume should be lowered, imo. That's when 'biting air', anyway.
    Definitely would be great to have some kind of aural hit-indicator though; a fleshy sound, a marine grunting in pain.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree that air biting is way too loud. The volume they have it at now should be what the hit indicator should be at and an air bite should be nothing more then a lite "click" or "swoosh".

And I'm definitely in favor of blood and scrap metal animations in the skulks teeth as an indicator as well.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1826558:date=Jan 24 2011, 07:12 AM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Jan 24 2011, 07:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826558"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe they could change the blood effects a skulk sees? Right now it sounds like any blood effects are based off the marine model's location at the time of the bite. However, moving around as a skulk causes you to miss those effects.

How about instead, whenever a skulk lands a bite, they do not see marine-location-based blood effects, but instead see blood effects "inside" the mouth?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yup, we are working on creating a separate 1st person blood effect that plays inside of the skulks mouth, precisely because of the reason that you stated. The issue is that we still will need the other blood effect playing, as well, but at the moment we can only have 1 effect triggered by the bite, so we are waiting on some code changes to be able to implement that.

--Cory
  • RahabibRahabib Join Date: 2004-01-22 Member: 25595Members
    +1 for a hit indicator!
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1826646:date=Jan 24 2011, 01:48 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jan 24 2011, 01:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but at the moment we can only have 1 effect triggered by the bite, so we are waiting on some code changes to be able to implement that.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Makes sense that that would hold up the new effects a bit. In the meantime, is it possible we can have a temporary solution and forgo the marine-based effect? Personally I have never been able to see any blood effects well in this game (with my current framerate), so it doesn't feel like much would be missing if you exchanged the blood for a little flashing "hit" indicator a la Battlefield.

At this point it's functionality over being purty, right?
  • cookmancookman Join Date: 2003-12-22 Member: 24654Members
    I would love for the teeth of the skulk to continually get more bloody as you get more hits, up to a limit of course.

Sure, you wouldn't notice it much, after you've been playing a while, but I think it's still one of those little things you miss when they are gone.

Same thing for the fade scythes.

I remember UT99 doing something like this with the impact hammer. It was pretty reaffirming to see your weapon covered in blood after a couple of hard earned melee kills.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1826661:date=Jan 24 2011, 08:20 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Jan 24 2011, 08:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In the meantime, is it possible we can have a temporary solution and forgo the marine-based effect?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its not a time consuming task, just like 1 line of code, supposedly. So, we'd rather go ahead and do it the proper way, rather then cobbling together a temporary solution. We should be able to do it fairly soon.

<!--quoteo(post=1826757:date=Jan 25 2011, 12:31 AM:name=cookman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cookman @ Jan 25 2011, 12:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would love for the teeth of the skulk to continually get more bloody as you get more hits, up to a limit of course.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yup, we would like that as well, but that requires either texture skins or decals, both of which are requested programming features that we're still waiting on.

--Cory
  • RahabibRahabib Join Date: 2004-01-22 Member: 25595Members
    edited January 2011
    since I play with graphics on the lowest setting I can (not the greatest computer right now), Id likely turn off blood splatter if its an option, which is why Id like to have another kind of indication like the "x" on the crosshair.
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1826646:date=Jan 24 2011, 01:48 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jan 24 2011, 01:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yup, we are working on creating a separate 1st person blood effect that plays inside of the skulks mouth, precisely because of the reason that you stated. The issue is that we still will need the other blood effect playing, as well, but at the moment we can only have 1 effect triggered by the bite, so we are waiting on some code changes to be able to implement that.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess I don't know what the programmers see or have to work with -- but I find it awfully odd that only one effect can be triggered by the bite condition. Not the artists' job, either way :P. Thanks for letting us know about the effects.

I agree with others that the sound levels need to be adjusted on certain things. I don't know about other people, but I get annoyed when I hear the VERY loud metal clanking when biting a power node -- and I'm hard of hearing. Looking forward to adjustments to sound levels and variations on the effects.

Indications for an attack...I think audio & visual feedback is a necessity. Sometimes people don't realize how the details really change the way a game feels when played.
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1826626:date=Jan 24 2011, 05:10 PM:name=derWalter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derWalter @ Jan 24 2011, 05:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826626"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and iron sight and stamina and hats and aimbot and wallhack and slower movement and and and and....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Like those things have anything to do with a small confirmation indicator... GTFO... Although I do prefer a sound indicator (like it was before with the Skulk, not this building munching...
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    edited January 2011
    now in 162, it seems like every when you hit marines, the game plays the death sound :)

hmm, a little sidequestion:

does anyone else think that the sound of skulk biting metal sounds a bit like when you are using a foot-pump to blow up an inflatable mattress? :P
  • simon kamakazisimon kamakazi Join Date: 2009-04-28 Member: 67296Members
    hey guys,

there is a sound that plays when u bite pretty much anything including marines, tho not everything triggers these sounds yet, the marine bite hit sound should still be working, its probably just too quiet ATM tho, so ill turn this up and eventualy mix in the all the sounds so that there is a nice balance.

the sound in the game is still a WIP and things go from working nicly to buggy and vice versa all the time.

the marine death sounds u guys are hearing when biting a marine are the placeholders for the proper wound sounds. these are actually already implemented in our internal build.

also in the works is , the marines coughing when they get spored by a lerk,

so u guys should be hearing these changes in the next patch.