Commander tutorial: marines

Alpha.Alpha. Join Date: 2011-01-04 Member: 76186Members
If you're new to NS2 you might want to watch this before jumping into Command Station in game. Enjoy.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrdgK0vrL_U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrdgK0vrL_U</a>

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Nice tutorial. The only things I would add is that health/ammo packs cost plasma, not carbon, and to remember to upgrade your extractors.
  • Alpha.Alpha. Join Date: 2011-01-04 Member: 76186Members
    Thanks.
    I said that medpacks cost plasma (today releasing movie about importance of them), and upgrading extractors or not is an advanced strategic matter - not to discuss in my tutorial.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1825430:date=Jan 19 2011, 08:58 AM:name=Alpha.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alpha. @ Jan 19 2011, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825430"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks.
    I said that medpacks cost plasma (today releasing movie about importance of them), and upgrading extractors or not is an advanced strategic matter - not to discuss in my tutorial.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah, I guess I missed that part :) Also, good point with upgrading extractors.

Now, all we need is an alien comm tutorial and the basics will be finished.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1825498:date=Jan 19 2011, 01:21 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jan 19 2011, 01:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825498"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah, I guess I missed that part :) Also, good point with upgrading extractors.

Now, all we need is an alien comm tutorial and the basics will be finished.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

non of this matters : check the latest twitters.. its all team resource or personal resource now. :)
    but job well done, im tired of people not practicing on a lan game before coming into a perfectly functioning 10 player game only to sit in the comm chair and "learn" at their team's expense.
  • RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    Alpha, along with Team 156, plan to get an alien commander tutorial out shortly as well. We plan to continue to update and provide information for starting players as game development progresses.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Good stuff, but oh gawd that intro's sounds like someone scratching their nails across a blackboard (shivers down mah spine man!!!)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Good stuff, but oh gawd that intro's sounds like someone scratching their nails across a blackboard (shivers down mah spine man!!!)
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Cool work. Thanks Alpha!
    <!--quoteo(post=1825577:date=Jan 20 2011, 03:37 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jan 20 2011, 03:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cool work. Thanks Alpha!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thank you for approval, I'm surprised :]

Medpack importance proof: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7TyiOm7qxo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7TyiOm7qxo</a>
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    Would you mind to change your intros, so it doesnt waste 30s of my life? ^^

PS: The video does show that medpacks are important, and it does show that tickrate is way too small so jumping or running around in circles can make you near to unhittable... + medpack spamm => godmode.
    <!--quoteo(post=1825728:date=Jan 20 2011, 11:14 AM:name=Alpha.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alpha. @ Jan 20 2011, 11:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825728"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thank you for approval, I'm surprised :]

Medpack importance proof: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7TyiOm7qxo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7TyiOm7qxo</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nice. One marine taking on three fades and living is pretty amazing. However, you might want to mention that med/ammo packs eventually disappear and that med packs = 2 plasma (and need the armory built first to drop) and ammo packs = 1 plasma.
    Thanks for advice, I was planning to say something about prices, just forgot about it. For armory - it's mentioned in main tutorial; You can see it on tech tree.

As far as i know UWE is planning to change names of resources; there will be a lot of changes besides that - I'll have to re-do and re-upload my movies anyway to keep them up to date.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    Med/ammo and catalystpacks have a lifetime of 30s
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Subscribed!! Can't wait for more.
  • OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->im tired of people not practicing on a lan game before coming into a perfectly functioning 10 player game only to sit in the comm chair and "learn" at their team's expense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I feel your pain...oh yes I do. Was happening last Sunday. Some ###### was going into the second command chair and screwing me up horridly. I had a plan of attack and it was working perfectly. I noticed this when all of a sudden I couldn't lay down an extractor because this idiot was using my resources else where.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE learn the interface before you even consider jumping in the chair...and also...if there is already a commander doing a good job...DON'T get into the other chair just because YOU think something over there needs to be put down.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    To be honest I think that's just part of the game. Forging a bunch of random noobs into a capable team that beats the enemy.
    <!--quoteo(post=1825912:date=Jan 21 2011, 01:25 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Jan 21 2011, 01:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825912"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be honest I think that's just part of the game. Forging a bunch of random noobs into a capable team that beats the enemy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And surprise you sometimes have when 'bunch of random noobs' turns to be decent team and you're having a great game - priceless ;]