Mac/Drifter pathfinding changed in recent build/s

PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but in build 161 and 160 I think, I have noticed that the path finding of AI has started to take the long route to objectives, or go past the objective and then take a right angle turn etc towards the target at the very end.

Before pathing was pretty accurate for MACs when you told them to go somewhere, now they seem to go past the target (if they are close to it) and then turn back around, its a bit strange.

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I noticed too. Drifters sent from alien spawn in tram to marine expansion will go all the way through the central area of the map, then through marine spawn and finally to marine expansion = certain death in a real game.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I've lost a lot of good MACs and Drifters to this change. They will be remembered.

To make drifters use vents, you now have to instruct it by baby-step.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    I'm sure it was the first step in AI updates for them, to get away from the "noclip in straight line directly to destination" behavior.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This is pretty annoying. I've lost numerous MACs because they decide to do a u-turn into the face of a fade.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They also move trough walls, and you can build behind walls/places you shouldnt be able to (especially usefull for aliens, lots of hidden healstructures at places only a flamethrower could reach because of the flame trough walls fun)... I think this has also something todo with the "fade blink into walls and get outside the map whenever you want" problem too.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    I haven't played the latest build yet but MACs/Drifters definitely need to get collision with eachother as well. And the AI should never allow more than X amount of MACs/Drifters repairing a structure at a time.
  • KuriinKuriin Join Date: 2011-01-08 Member: 76761Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1824946:date=Jan 16 2011, 10:09 PM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ Jan 16 2011, 10:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824946"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I haven't played the latest build yet but MACs/Drifters definitely need to get collision with eachother as well. And the AI should never allow more than X amount of MACs/Drifters repairing a structure at a time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol, what? Drifters can repair a structure? Have I been missing out?
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    This is a major problem, you get inviciCCs by mac stack healing under them.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1824961:date=Jan 17 2011, 02:16 AM:name=Kuriin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kuriin @ Jan 17 2011, 02:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824961"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol, what? Drifters can repair a structure? Have I been missing out?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol...
    MACs were the only thing in my mind. Drifters were included only because it felt right , but they can spam build as well, I'm sure. I don't think anyone has abused that though as it is sort of useless.
  • KuriinKuriin Join Date: 2011-01-08 Member: 76761Members
    They can only spam build when they have resources. But, you also have to recall that:

1) Aliens can't repair
    2) Aliens can't recycle

=

Loss of resources

Juice is correct in that there are tons of commanders out there that stack MACs for repairs. It should only be ONE MAC/build.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I think it would be really useful (and cool) to let the commanders control their workers directly in first person view. The commanders would then be able to take full advantage of elevations, vents, and become less affected by poor top-down camera angles.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited January 2011
    Technically alien structures do have repair in the form of gorge healspray. They also have innate regeneration, with possible bonuses.

IMO, a drifter should regenerate (or 'birth') from the building after you've constructed it. So although this still means you can't speed up the build process, you can use a drifter more than once.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    I am more concerned about the MAC stack, had a game where I barely managed to take out a Power node before I got chased off , and when I returned and took out the Marine guarding the room, a whole line of MAC's just flew in towards the powernode and it was instantly repaired , literally.
    I chomped like a mad thing on the MAC stack and made no dent in that pack.

It is definetly open to abuse, Alien Drifters not so much as a) they cant heal stuff and b) get spent each time they evolve into a structure... though I can the potential to drifter rush Marines and just abuse Flares.

What will it be like when MAC's get the EMP and Mine abilities :O
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1825187:date=Jan 18 2011, 02:06 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Jan 18 2011, 02:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825187"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it would be really useful (and cool) to let the commanders control their workers directly in first person view. The commanders would then be able to take full advantage of elevations, vents, and become less affected by poor top-down camera angles.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

neat idea, but i want my commander constantly vigilant in overhead camera dropping me medpacks, not playing bob the builder.
    <!--quoteo(post=1825224:date=Jan 19 2011, 02:30 AM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Jan 19 2011, 02:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->neat idea, but i want my commander constantly vigilant in overhead camera dropping me medpacks, not playing bob the builder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree that controlling MACs with first person view would take too much of the commanders' attention. The problem is that NS2 maps have very complex geometry compared with traditional 2D RTS titles, and the default top-down view just doesn't cut it sometimes. Perhaps a medium distance third-person view would be a good compromise.