ready room

zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
<div class="IPBDescription">i dont get it</div>I don't understand the purpose of the ready room. why does everyone start as marines, and then *as a marine* decide whether to be a marine or an alien? It doesn't make sense to me. The only way I could see a reason for this is if the ready room had unique player models that were neither marine nor alien. Maybe with some customizability so each player would have a unique avatar and it would work more as a 3d chat room.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    Creating a whole new model you only use in the RR, now that makes less sense then then a RR with marines.

However, it would be nice to spawn back in the RR as the class or marine+upgrades after a round-end like in NS1...
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1824143:date=Jan 14 2011, 12:37 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jan 14 2011, 12:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824143"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it would be nice to spawn back in the RR as the class or marine+upgrades after a round-end like in NS1...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would make sense after the first round, but doesn't address the issue with the ready room at game start. My "customizeable models" idea was not a serious suggestion for UW, I understand they don't have the budget to do it. It just doesn't make sense to me to associate everyone with a team before they pick teams.
  • uffouffo Join Date: 2003-05-03 Member: 16026Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1824143:date=Jan 14 2011, 01:37 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jan 14 2011, 01:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824143"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->However, it would be nice to spawn back in the RR as the class or marine+upgrades after a round-end like in NS1...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think spectators should spawn as war correspondents
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    Kouji did prolly not mean for chatting purposes, just because its fun to spawn in rr as jetpacker or skulk ;).

And I like the ready room, it is better than how you in tf2 or css or most other games are stuck in a menu until you choose a team. This way you can still type while unassigned.

And defaulting to rine would make stuff unbalanced.
    edited January 2011
    i think it should be all nerdy kids in the ready room, for realism.

or, alternately, use the female marine model for the ready room and let the men (and aliens) do the fighting. wait, that still makes no sense.

joking of course, but i really don't see any logic to the current design. Even a simple "choose your team" menu would make more sense.

edit-

<!--quoteo(post=1824159:date=Jan 14 2011, 01:06 AM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Jan 14 2011, 01:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824159"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->most other games are stuck in a menu until you choose a team. This way you can still type while unassigned.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That makes sense, but in that case why have player models at all? Just make players disembodied in the ready room, so you can "fly" around and text chat but not see other players.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    The ready room is for some quick socializing before the next round, it's not going anywhere.
    and who cares about the model used outside of the game
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Or... you spawn in as 50% chance of being Marine or Alien.

If alien, 16.7% chance of Onos, Fade, Lerk, Gorge, Skulk, Drifter.

Problem solved.

I do like the idea of war correspondent - perhaps using the ready room to tell a story. You could have some sort of Starship troopers 'sign up here' room.

I think the readyroom could server a lot more than its purpose somehow.
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1824162:date=Jan 14 2011, 01:12 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Jan 14 2011, 01:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it's not going anywhere.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

who said it was?

<!--quoteo(post=1824162:date=Jan 14 2011, 01:12 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Jan 14 2011, 01:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and who cares about the model used outside of the game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i don't know, probably anyone with a functional capacity for logic that sees the team selection starting out with everyone already appearing to be on one team and understands that it doesn't make sense.

edit -

<!--quoteo(post=1824163:date=Jan 14 2011, 01:15 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Jan 14 2011, 01:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824163"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You could have some sort of Starship troopers 'sign up here' room.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this idea, but it would require a "civilian" model.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    It's just a default, it's about as unimportant as starting out with a given weapon selected.
    edited January 2011
    you're right, it's not important, it's just a really awkward first impression to give players.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I disagree. It is all in the details.

I would argue it is very important, but not right now.

At the moment the game still feels like you are playing in a game. I want to feel like i've hauled my ass across the universe, leaving my family behind to kick some alien butt.

The little things such as 'You won the Game!' at the end should be a cool HUD visor graphic.

"Alien Infestation Eradicated, Good Job Soldier."
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I lost The Game...

First time I played ns1 I got suprised by the ready room, but I liked it alot nevertheless. Well not the very first time, cause that maps ready room was like a labyrinth, atleast the first time.
    But I still liked the feeling of walking around without having to be in a team, dunno why really, but I like jumping around when bored :P (prefer with speed tho).
    <!--quoteo(post=1824189:date=Jan 14 2011, 02:47 AM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Jan 14 2011, 02:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824189"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But I still liked the feeling of walking around without having to be in a team, dunno why really, but I like jumping around when bored :P (prefer with speed tho).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So the question, and the reason i made this thread, is how can whatever purpose the ready room serves (jumping around, chatting) be maintained in a way that makes logical sense in the game's fiction and doesn't break the fourth wall?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Pfft, might as well add a room in which you can party or rave... wait...
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1824198:date=Jan 14 2011, 02:26 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jan 14 2011, 02:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824198"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So the question, and the reason i made this thread, is how can whatever purpose the ready room serves (jumping around, chatting) be maintained in a way that makes logical sense in the game's fiction and doesn't break the fourth wall?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Think of it as an interactive replacement for the join team GUI. There's nothing more beyond that.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    For nostalgia's sake.
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1824222:date=Jan 14 2011, 04:49 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jan 14 2011, 04:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824222"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Think of it as an interactive replacement for the join team GUI. There's nothing more beyond that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We've been over that in this thread, it's just a bizarre implementation. Well, not so much "bizarre" as gives the impression that not a lot of thought/effort went into implementing it. Again, the reason I made this thread is to see if anyone has an idea or an alternative representation that would make it more logical.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited January 2011
    Everyone should spawn in as MACs.
    Oh wait, that associates everyone with the marine team...

Is there anything neutral in NS?

To the above post: It doesn't need to be logical. Most people will be more impressed by the cool and unique factor, than seriously consider it from a logical perspective.
    Here's some other things you might have a problem with:
    -Why do marines have to research 'new' tech every time they join a new match? And how do they manage to make so many leaps and bounds in technology in the space of an hour?
    -Why do skulks have eyes inside their mouth?
    We don't think about it because it's not worth thinking about, and it's better not to think about it.
    The ready room is something of an inside joke; it's never been done in any other game, and there's nothing whatsoever wrong with having it in there.
    <!--quoteo(post=1824239:date=Jan 14 2011, 05:52 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jan 14 2011, 05:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We don't think about it because it's not worth thinking about, and it's better not to think about it.
    The ready room is something of an inside joke; it's never been done in any other game, and there's nothing whatsoever wrong with having it in there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On the contrary, I think people who haven't played NS1 WILL think about it, because it's the kind of thing that makes you think "wait, what?" right off the bat. Like I said, it's a really awkward first impression for new players. I get that it's a throwback to NS1, and it's exactly the kind of thing I'd expect to see in a mod/indy game where they have good ideas but don't have the time or budget to implement them 100%. But I don't believe that's the image UW is trying to accomplish with NS2.
    edited January 2011
    It's one of the things that makes NS, NS. I would go so far as to say that the Ready Room is to NS what the BFG is to Quake and what the Magic Mushroom is to Ston--Mario.
    and nobody is saying it should go away. but nobody seems to have any idea how it could make any kind of rational sense, save some sort of neutral player model.

One idea is to divide it into 2 areas, an infested area and a regular area, and as soon as you walk from one to the other your model changes from human to alien or vice versa.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2011
    Maybe all player's should spawn as an armory, or harvester. Yeah, that would be great! Who wouldn't want to see a harvester hopping around. I do!
    *Yes, I being an ass for the sake of it*
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Intro menu seems like a much better implementation than a ready room. A menu is the fps standard (so everyone knows what to do) and the ready room just adds more unnecessary work for the mappers.

Imo, get rid of it.
    No, the ready room is a lobby. It's not the cheap text-based lobby where seedy guys pick up 'girls', it's an actual lobby to a seedy hotel.
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    Surely the "You're in the Ready Room!" tooltip is explanation enough? It's not exactly a hard concept to understand. Given that, I don't see how changing it would actually yield any benefits.
    <!--quoteo(post=1824300:date=Jan 14 2011, 11:52 AM:name=Uzguz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uzguz @ Jan 14 2011, 11:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824300"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Surely the "You're in the Ready Room!" tooltip is explanation enough? It's not exactly a hard concept to understand. Given that, I don't see how changing it would actually yield any benefits.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For the love of Jesus, read more than the thread title before posting!
    <!--quoteo(post=1824301:date=Jan 14 2011, 08:57 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jan 14 2011, 08:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824301"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For the love of Jesus, read more than the thread title before posting!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I did.

You're saying that new players will be mislead by appearing to be on Marines when they aren't. I'm saying that any such confusion that may arise will only last as long as it takes for the ready room tooltip to appear, and is therefore a non-issue. Besides, I didn't have any problem with it the first time I played NS1, and neither did any of the newbies I encountered in the years thereafter, so I have trouble accepting that the confusion would really be there in the first place.
    <!--quoteo(post=1824305:date=Jan 14 2011, 12:21 PM:name=Uzguz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uzguz @ Jan 14 2011, 12:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824305"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're saying that new players will be mislead by appearing to be on Marines when they aren't.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. Players will understand that they are in an area where they choose a team. They will not be "confused" or "mislead." But if they have a functional capacity for logical thinking, they will think "why do I have to walk to marine team start when I'm already a marine" or "why are marines spontaneously transforming into aliens in order to fight against themselves."

Again, it's not "confusing" because it's obvious that it's a method for team selection in a multiplayer game. But it is nonsensical within the parameters of the game's fiction, which breaks the fourth wall, which is considered amateurish, which again is acceptable in a mod like NS1 but not the kind of lack of polish expected in a commercial game like NS2.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    the ready room is not meant to make sense. how many times did you see eggs running around and jumping in the ready room?

player models dont make a difference. if you're worried about what you or others look like, then you;re spending too much time in the ready room
    <!--quoteo(post=1824307:date=Jan 14 2011, 09:27 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jan 14 2011, 09:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824307"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. Players will understand that they are in an area where they choose a team. They will not be "confused" or "mislead." But if they have a functional capacity for logical thinking, they will think "why do I have to walk to marine team start when I'm already a marine" or "why are marines spontaneously transforming into aliens in order to fight against themselves."

Again, it's not "confusing" because it's obvious that it's a method for team selection in a multiplayer game. But it is nonsensical within the parameters of the game's fiction, which breaks the fourth wall, which is considered amateurish, which again is acceptable in a mod like NS1 but not the kind of lack of polish expected in a commercial game like NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Or it could just be that - wait for it - <i>no one cares.</i> It's not a symptom of lack of intelligence that most people don't ask those questions, and trying to insult everyone who disagrees with you doesn't do you any favours. If the players know they're in a lobby, then they know they're outside of the "real" game, and that nothing "serious" will occur. I don't know why the in-game segregation of what is true to the story and what isn't bothers you so much. It just doesn't matter.